Is there a Q7 in my future?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
We don't buy cars that often, and then keep them until they are fully used up. As we have a fair number of vehicles, nothing gets the really high mileage that we racked up when we were younger (that is, if 1.8 million kms on my FLD120 can be regarded as 'high mileage"). My wife has only 360,000 kms on her 2003 ALH Jetta Variant, and other than rust on tailgate and fenders, it is about half life (our last two Jetta TDs went 620k and 650k before I retired them).

We bought a farm a couple of years ago (need AWD), and this year inherited a Toyota Venza (2WD, 2013 with 24,000 kms!), and the grandchildren count is about to become a whole hockey team. Well, two of them would squeeze into the back of the Jetta, but works a lot better in our V70, and 3 is simply not doable. The Venza IS that wide in the back seat, but really has zero cargo space, a near white cloth interior (those with little ones and mechanics in the family know what I am getting at) is only 2WD and...HORRORS, uses gasoline!!! (and a fair bit of it at that).

So, we have reduced it to a Suburban (too big for her for daily duty, but the Jetta can fill in), but really want mid size - so that leaves the XC70 Volvo and the Q7. As you may notice, in this market, only one of them is a diesel.

Have no desire to spend a hundred grand on a car, so it means used - plus I really want a diesel. Am I afraid of Audis? Well, used to be a VW mechanic, so YES, the complexity and potential reliability issues are something that threatens my very small amount of free time (had to rebuild CCTA in one kid's Passat last year - don't like some of the shakey engineering coming from the Fatherland lately).

I think our target would be 2015 with low miles (they are around) but I simply know next to nothing about the common rail V6 at all. Did they suffer the fuel pump failures of the 2.0 litre common rails? If so, what years, what fixes, what frequency? What about the gearbox for reliability (yeah, my last Audi diesel was a C2 with the coasting feature - died early). Will 3 child seats fit in the back (2 rear facing?).

Tell me about these things in a view to being long term vehicles. The Volvo option, even a gasser, is pretty tough competition. Gave up on R class as it is just too unfamilar and anything after 2012 is Chinese.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Sounds like a great fit for you. The engine is great. The HPFP is not a time bomb, plus there is a long warranty.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
My Q7 is at 170,000km now and seems healthy. No trace of body rust unlike my Golf of the same year. The third row seats are not for large people but are useable. If only one of them is in use there's still room for a double stroller and various other junk...

Does about 9l/100km. A 2013+ should be quite a bit better. Only "repair" I've had in two years is a set of tires a year ago - was becoming very noisy on highway and I was worried about bearings but just cupped tires.

My only dislike: absurd crushed doughnut spare wheel which may well be past inflating now if needed. Not an issue if you stay in civilised areas. Don't think I'd want to use it up north for that reason.

Ergonomics (audio etc) are very different from VW and on the whole I prefer VW but I get used to them.

Gearbox is an Aisin 6-speed (8-speed from 2011). I think the same unit as in my Tundra - no issues.

The turbo was replaced by the previous owner - he mentioned $3k and I think at Saskatoon Audi. I don't know history before that. It does use the same HPFP as the CR Golf/Jetta and disastrous if it fails but failure seems rare.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Thanks...that is what I had hoped to hear. When I went to the 'tex, there was almost zero activity on the Q7 forum, and obviously this one is not exactly main street either. Where do the Q7 diesel crazies hang out?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks...that is what I had hoped to hear. When I went to the 'tex, there was almost zero activity on the Q7 forum, and obviously this one is not exactly main street either. Where do the Q7 diesel crazies hang out?
Audi World has more than here.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
The Q7 TDI is a great vehicle. Has good torque; gets good mileage; and handles fabulous especially for a 3-row SUV. We had a '09 and now have a '15. Just understand that it is not the economy transportation your Jetta is. The Q7 takes a bit more feeding. It takes double the oil, consumes tires a little faster, and also the brakes. A brake job all around is $1K in parts. Its not bad compared with other SUVs. For us it's more than worth it.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Mechanically the Q7 is the same as the Touareg. All around a great vehicle for me this far.
I just did front brakes myself for approximately $225, rotors and pads from idparts. There was 40k on old pads/rotors, which I considered acceptable for the size and weight of the vehicle and wheels/tires.
Q7 will probably eat tires and brakes a little faster than a Touareg as it’s a little heavier. But there is a trade off for that 3rd row seat.
I’ve saved every fuel receipt, write total miles and miles on preceding tank, averaging 28mpg.
Many of the Q7 and Touaregs came with 19 or 20 wheels, which are known for an almost uncurable steering wheel shake at 70 to 80 mph.
17” Touareg wheels will fit however, I’ve no doubt you already know the benefit of more sidewall height on winter and dirt roads.
Clubtoureg.com has wealth of info for these vehicles, waaay more traffic then here. The knuckle head factor is also higher but then again tdiclub is almost unparalleled in the amount of real knowledge and willingness to share it.

Have you looked t the BMW X5? 3rd row was available. The inline 6 diesel is a nice power plant, and the car itself is very nice. I wanted to buy one over the Touareg but it did not come with $10k present from manufacturer

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Mech: I am not a BMTrouble you fan - even though the diesel is known to be a nice bit of kit. I don't have the tools, software and experience to deal with them, nor do I have the time or interest to learn a new brand. My only regrets about the Q7 is that I can't get a new TDI (and the newer styling I find offensive) and no manual or DSG.

I bought this car from a self-proclaimed "enthusiast" who picked it up from a lawyer in BC. It is very low mileage (61k kms) and still on the original 19" Continentals. When I asked the seller about the winter wheels and tires, he thought they were 19" steelies. When I took delivery, there was a set of 18" Audi wheels with Pirelli studless - both with next to or may even zero miles on them in Audi tire wrappers. I am not crazy about the 19s, but I think I will stay with what I have.

This is my wife's DD, and she is thrilled to pieces. I am just happy to have another TDI, and at that, one with the third row and some dead serious towing ability. It comes as close as I can imagine to the compromise "does everything" vehicle (we have a modified MkIV for two place touring - remove rear seat squab and fold everything down) and a number of sports cars that I used to have time to enjoy, play with and race. The Q7 big deal is that it will carry my grandsons and tow our kart trailer(s) to races when the first joins his Mom and I at the track next summer.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I to still have my ‘00 Golf suitably modified for spirited driving. It’s still a fun car 18 years later.
I used the Touareg to rent a 20” chipper last winter, 4500lbs and towed it with ease. Maneuvered up and down snowy grades on property with no trouble. Great vehicle.
My 20” wheels exhibit the SWS, but the 18”s I have for winter do not. When the all seasons on the 20’s are used up I’ll get another set of 18” rims for summer use.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Is the SWS a Q7 issue or just Touareg? I've never noticed it, either 20" summer tires or 18" with winters. Also have a set of oversized all-seasons on 18", not used them.

18" do fit - never tried 17", would be very close to the brakes. 18" look to have about 0.5" clearance

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the SWS a Q7 issue or just Touareg? I've never noticed it, either 20" summer tires or 18" with winters. Also have a set of oversized all-seasons on 18", not used them.

18" do fit - never tried 17", would be very close to the brakes. 18" look to have about 0.5" clearance

I don’t believe it is a widespread Audi issue, just VW Touareg.