to replace or not replace fuel temp sensor???

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
My wife drives an 01 TDI, when I got my VCDS this summer I was anxious to check the injection timing, when I did I noticed the fuel temp sensor was reading 126. She had just driven in from work so I figured with under hood temps and everything maybe it was o.k. Today I decided to check it again, so 1st thing this morning with the engine cold and outside air temp being about 55, I checked it and got a reading of 82. I don't get any codes or anything and the car runs and starts well, but I don't think it is reading correctly or I just don't know the proper procedure of checking it. I read the thread about it and it isn't expensive, I should probably just replace it. Can someone please advise.

taugust

TDI
2002 Jetta
I am no expert, but I have replaced mine twice. Both times after CEL codes. If it isn't throwing a code, leave it alone, IMHO. Mine ran fine even with the CEL on. The light is more annoying than anything.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
When mine went, it gave a code otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.:)

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
I'll probably just leave it alone then. I kind of don't think it's reading spot on, but I don't have a basis for how its supposed to read.
I'm having CEL light problems anyway, keep getting code PO380 intermitent glow plug wiring short or some such thing. I have read all the threads on here about it and have determined that the glow plugs all have the same resistance, after unplugging the coolant temp sensor I have a strong 12.7 volts for the 20 sec interval, and everything appears clean, no corrosion that I can see, someone has replaced the glow plug harness prior to me owning the car. Yet I keep getting the friggin' code. I'm at a loss with this one, I reset it and it didn't come back for over a week, then it comes back. Thanks guys