100,000 Miles - Had Oil Analysis

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I sent in a sample of used engine oil when I did my last oil change. This was right after the car hit the 100,000 mile mark. I had about 7500 miles since my last oil change.

I have only used Delvac 1 in the car since I bought it new. I did the EGR mod at around 25,000 miles, and Upsoluted it at about the same time. I drive the car fairly hard, but I try to take care of it too.

Here's what the oil analysis people said,

"This is one of the nicest wearing VW engines we have seen in awhile. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 7.550 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use average miles, and we found all wear from the engine at around average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration look okay. This was 15W/40 diesel-use engine oil with no fuel, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The oil could have stayed in use longer."

ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 16
COPPER 2
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 1
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 50
SILICON 5
SODIUM 2
CALCIUM 2276
MAGNESIUM 484
PHOSPHORUS 1078
ZINC 1254
BARIUM 0

CB

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Black
Where does this take into accout the soot? Was courious how it was with the EGR mod, and if this had a measurable effect. I would expect so.
Regards
CB&Stoker

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]

I have only used Delvac 1 in the car since I bought it new.

"This was 15W/40 diesel-use engine oil with no fuel, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The oil could have stayed in use longer."

[/ QUOTE ]

Deeply conflicting info. What's up with that?

Apart from that, numbers look good.

Why is much of the pertinent info missing like TBN, soot, oxidation and all the good stuff /images/graemlins/confused.gif

canbluegolf

Veteran Member
Very nice numbers indeed!

Dieseldorf,
Usually the only viscosity test done is at a 100c which will show a 40 weight oil was used.
They probably slapped on the 15w out of habit for a diesel.

Steve

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I sent the sample to Blackstone.

There is nothing about soot on the report.

I've done all my own oil changes, and Delvac 1 is the only oil that has ever been in that car.

Given that oil analysis costs just as much as a gallon of Delvac 1, I'll probably just continue my 10k mile oil changes. I had the analysis done because I was curious, and hitting the 100k mile mark sounded like a good time to have it done. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
In reference to the conflicting information about the viscosity - the laboratories don't do a cold viscosity analysis so they don't really know what the viscosity is at 32ºF. They simply make the assumption that since it's a diesel oil that it must be a 15W-40. This has been seen in many instances before where virgin samples have been sent in such as a 0W-30 and the laboratory will mislabel it a 10W-30 because they didn't test it to see what the cold flow characteristics were.

In the business world,, them tests iz extree! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
[ QUOTE ]
They simply make the assumption that since it's a diesel oil that it must be a 15W-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...happened to me, too.

Too bad...no TBN.