Cracking accessory belt?

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Is anyone having problems with their accessory belt cracking? Awhile back, I failed a state inspection because I had a crack in my accessory belt (longitudinal crack) about 1/3 of way from the right side of the belt when looking at it from above. It's not along the entire length of the belt. I had it replaced at a VW dealer, and about 30K later, I had a guru in Fort Worth do a timing belt job on it. Since the accessory belt was included, I had it replaced also. I didn't notice any cracks in the one that came off.

Today, when doing an oil change and fuel filter change, I noticed it's cracked again, in the same place. In fact, it looks like the top "layer" of the belt is gone, about 1/3 of the width from the right side of the belt, and again, not along the entire length of the belt.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? TIA.

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
Are there any leaks? (even very slow ones)

Oil and especially fuel contamination can cause rubber to crack quickly.

skidplate on or off? Frequent Wet/Dry cycles can contribute to cracking.

Is the A/C pully tight?

I understand that the belts with the transverse grooves are supposed to reduce cracking but I haven't had any expierience with them. It's probably better to go after the root of the problem anyhow.

Forgot one: Is degreaser used regularly? Degreaser promotes cracking if the belt is not conditioned afterwards.

Last edited: