Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
And sometimes the diesel pump is in the middle of the 3 pump island in a G-D-G setup. All it takes a one of the gasser pumps to be used to shutdown the diesel pump.

2 days ago, I waited for 10 minutes as a lady filled her SUV at one gas pump since I couldn't reach the diesel hose with the way she was parked. The whole time, she was staring at me with a look like, "Why doesn't this moron just pull ahead of me to the open gas pump? I left enough room!"

At least she paided at the pump!

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Got a story for you. My first fill up with my 2008 Jeep GC CRD. The BP station I go to has a seperate island for Diesel and they get a lot of truck traffic. Anyway, this guy pulls up in a dump truck and goes inside the mini-mart. When he came out he asked what kind of milage I got with it. I said....well, I don't know....this is my first time filling up....but others with the same vehicle report mpg as high as 26-28mpg on the highway. Man I am loving this jeep.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
CTD&TDI said:
ya cuz most ppl that drive gassers are too stupid and will prolly just think "man that car is loud...needs a new muffler"
No, most likely they will say what the wife had said to her several times and to me once and that is something along the line of about checking oil or needing a visit to repair shop. :rolleyes:

Her 91 is a tad louder then anything most of you drive, sounds like a tractor at low RPM in a parking lot. :D

Last edited:

JyRO

Veteran Member
Even when I pull in with my 2000 model Cummins (about the loudest idling non-commercial vehicle known to man) right up behind someone that's blocking the diesel pump, they still don't get that they're blocking my access when the rest of the entire gas station is either empty or nearly empty.

I don't even rev, but I can tell by the annoyed look from a few of them that they think I'm rude. I just watch my EGT's, when it drops just under 300 degrees, I go ahead and shut it off ... unless they're gabbing on their cell phone. :D Then I idle it a tad longer. ;)

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
My drive today took me past the only bio available in the region so I stopped to top off with B15. One island for diesel, usually I wait for the gassers for the reasons noted above by jYro. This time is was clear and as I started pumping two work trucks cruise in. Its a father-son crew Dad goes to the other side and the son pulls behind me and gets out and starts checking out my car.

"Diesel?" yep. He gets much friendlier then. "Good mileage?" yep, and fast! "How may miles does it go on a tank?" (he actually asked this, not MPG) I told him 700 and he flipped out. Hollerin to Dad, jumping around. He then agreed that diesel is the way to go and he loves them because "you can leave them running all day with the a/c on while working and not worry about it" :D

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
My wife got in on the prank this time...

I was fueling up the Jetta at our local Valero station a couple days ago, and my wife jumped out of the car saying, "Oh my god, you did it again. You put Diesel in the car again." She and I watched someone gassing up a Lincoln on the other side of the pump lean over and kind of chuckle at us. We tried to keep the joke going, but we both started laughing.

Here recently I've had to initate the conversations to get anyone to talk at the pumps. Maybe it's the prices making everyone so angry.:rolleyes:

-Brian

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Brian.Burress said:
Here recently I've had to initate the conversations to get anyone to talk at the pumps. Maybe it's the prices making everyone so angry.:rolleyes:

-Brian
The last thing anyone said to me at the pump was "Gee, it shut off by itself at $100.00?":eek:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Last time I filled up, there was a guy with a Dodge Cummins on the other side of the pump and he commented about putting in $100 and only getting about half a tank.:eek:

JyRO

Veteran Member
I usually only drain my Cummins far enough down to need ~33, maybe ~34 gallons. So say 33.5 gallons times my local price of $4.79 per gallon.

That's $160 worth. So, I'm using the truck very sparingly ... only when absolutely needed. Which what I should do in the first place. So I'm fine with using the truck sparingly. Not fine with $160 to fill. :( Oh, btw, I usually get easily into the 600 mile range on that amount of fuel.

Last edited:

corymcarthur

TDI
95 VW golf turbo diesel
so I was at the local esso station....when I pulled in at 1:30 in the morning. And I pull up to the only diesel pump and I look and I guess the person at the register input the gas price wrong so I got diesel for 15 cents a liter!!!!!!!!!! when a guy in a 1969 ford mustang pulls up and we get talking alittle and he says " Im almost ready to trade in the big v8 for something more fuel efficient, and I looked over at him and said "at 15 cents a liter, I dont no why anyone is still useing gas" he looked puzzelled but I think he got my joke once I pulled away and he looked at my pump... (I filled up for $6.50 right from empty)

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
corymcarthur said:
so I was at the local esso station....when I pulled in at 1:30 in the morning. And I pull up to the only diesel pump and I look and I guess the person at the register input the gas price wrong so I got diesel for 15 cents a liter!!!!!!!!!! when a guy in a 1969 ford mustang pulls up and we get talking alittle and he says " Im almost ready to trade in the big v8 for something more fuel efficient, and I looked over at him and said "at 15 cents a liter, I dont no why anyone is still useing gas" he looked puzzelled but I think he got my joke once I pulled away and he looked at my pump... (I filled up for $6.50 right from empty)
You dirty dog you. ;)

All I ever do is find $100 bill laying on the floor at Wal Mart. :eek: :D

PS: I did not spend it at Wal Mart either.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
I usually spend $150 or so to fill up my dodge also. I got fet up with that so I build a WMO processer. Filters 55 gallons at a time down to 1 micron absolute and removes all magnetic metal from the oil also. Running my first tank through it now. Spent $300 on the setup and the oil is free.

Also finally have a biodiesel processor working with more than enough WVO to supply my 03 TDI and my buddys old vw truck 1.6L

new2diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Galactic Blue Pearl
Stopped at the Citgo station in Hudsonville on the way home from work. Had the cheapest prices according to the web, it was on the way so what the heck.

I had the light come on about 30 miles before so I was sweating it a little bit getting to the pump. Once I filled up and went it to pay, the guy in front of me had his card declined at the pump.. He worked for the bank that operated his card.. He was a little miffed. I don't knowwhat I would do if my card didn't work, I never carry cash. I spend it to quick, and since I got 732 miles on this tank I'm sure I would find moths flying out of my pocket before I got to the pump..

After paying, I came out to find an '03 Jetta filling up.
"As long as I've been driving a diesel I thik this is the first time I've filled up next to another one," he said.
We exchanged a few plesantries and and mileage comparisons. I spread the gospel of Fred's.. Hopefully a new member on the way!

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
MCR said:
Have you actually checked your fuel economy (miles per gallon)? How many gallons are you using to go 550? Do you vent, or have you done the ventectomy?
Actual fuel economy. It's an '06 NB package 1, there's no other way for me to get the fuel economy. Vented and exactly at the same pump facing the same way. Very gentle driving, mostly highway. That car won't get better than 550 per tank. I think I know why my mileage is not that great.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
naturist said:
The experts all agree: HOW you drive makes at least 30% difference in the mileage you get. Tests confirmed it. Two guys, two cars, drive here to there, check mileage, swap cars, drive back, check mileage again, one of the two gets 30% better both ways, both cars.
I'm doubtful that it's how I drive. I had an '82 diesel that did better.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
mrGutWrench said:
__. He has a much lighter car and an ALH/VE engine.

I don't think the '03 Jetta is lighter than a '06 NB. The Jetta has 2 more doors and a trunk. It probably is heavier. Also, it has a larger and longer hood.

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
lovemybug said:
Last time I filled up, there was a guy with a Dodge Cummins on the other side of the pump and he commented about putting in $100 and only getting about half a tank.:eek:
costs me 250 to fill mine....52 gallons adds up fast

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
CTD&TDI said:
costs me 250 to fill mine....52 gallons adds up fast
We have these guys transporting the travel trailers to the dealerships coming through once in a while. They have long-bed pickups with what looks like a 50Gal auxilliary tank on the bed. Filling those up must be a lot of fun these days.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
bockegg said:
I don't know why? Emissions maybe?
Bingo. The ALH could not be sold in the US after 2003 becuase of the changes in EPA regs.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
Mine has done 806 miles on a tank. It doesn't suck at all.
That sounds great, but knowing my car well makes it sound like a miscalculation. Unless you were driving all down hill.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Today, I got chatted up by a guy with a Chevy 2500 pickup. 'How do you like that little VW ?' Turns out he has a 2000 NB TDI and a deposit for a '09 TDI sportwagen with the dealer.

Engrossed in the discussion about timing-belt intervals and DSG fluid changes, I forgot that I was in the process of topping off..... (----> new pair of shoes and a slightly screwed up mpg calculation).

Seafarer76

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Old Navy said:
The correct comparison would be Tarus V6 to Jetta TDI or Toyota Camara V6 to the Jetta TDI for real world difference.
I know this post was a while ago, but I wanted to chime in here. I am a new owner of a 04 Jetta Wagon TDI. I traded in a 99 Taurus station wagon with the 24v V6 to get this. The power in the VW is better and the fuel economy is almost double, even with the PD. People keep asking how the increase in fuel economy helps since diesel is more than RUG. Well, when you use half the amount of fuel, even with the ~18% price difference you save money.

BTW, as I read through these posts, I have to laugh (or is that cry) at all the complaining when diesel cost between $2.60-$3.00.

No good fill up stories here yet, other than the great feeling of driving from southern New Mexico to north of Denver, Co (660 Miles) on 3/4 of a tank of fuel. :D

(edit: still need to get into the habit of not sayin gas....)

Last edited: