2012 Jetta TDI Mileage Report

Corvus

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I took that 800+ mile trip yesterday. Some interesting numbers follow.

First, my car has the DSG transmission. My tires were inflated to 40 psi. I never used cruise and never used a/c. All interstate driving. The results:

1) First test fill-up after 272 miles (after having driven in a combination "easy" and pedal-to-the-metal" way) 41.2 mpg

2) Second test fill up at 630 miles (358 miles traveled; "pedal-to-the-metal" way the whole time; Tiptronic set to 5th gear, speed varied from between 60 and 80 mph--when I hit 80 I backed off--anytime I went uphill I would press down on the accelerator and try to seat those rings!): 37.6 mpg

3) Final leg of trip driving "easy" at the speed limit the whole time: estimated mpg so far= 48.1! Will verify when I fill up. I can say that the gas gauge moved MUCH more slowly this final leg of the trip.

Hmmmm..... So I guess it pays to break that thing in by giving it a bit of "oomph" from time to time. I will keep doing so unless I hear differently....

C.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Good to hear, the 48.1 on the MFD is more than likely optimistic by a few mpg but still good to see. yep, the break in is well worth it. Let her warm up, than drive it like you stole it.

Drive More, Worry Less.......good motto to live by.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
At close to 20 fill ups I can tell that the MFD is about 2 mpg more than actual measured at the tank. I've averaged 39.23 mpg for the 9500 miles thus far and the best I've seen long distance on the MFD was 50mpg average going 65mph at about .5-1 second behind a big rig. Not recommended but was curious as to what it would do.

Corvus

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Good to hear, the 48.1 on the MFD is more than likely optimistic by a few mpg but still good to see. yep, the break in is well worth it. Let her warm up, than drive it like you stole it.

Drive More, Worry Less.......good motto to live by.
I'm actually NOT going by the MFD, but by my "top-off" fill up at the pump! Perhaps I just got some really good diesel in VA???

I love the line "drive it like you stole it"! GREAT!!:)

C.

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Posting for my fuelly sig. I've got 10k on mine, all tracked, and my average is almost 45, and going up, with the DSG.

I don't do anything in particular--for a while, I'd do one WOT every 50 miles or so. Now I'm down to 2 or 3 per tank.

Mileage seems to be creeping up but it's almost A/C season.

TDI Time

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Nav
I must be doing something wrong

Interesting information - I suppose I should get some lessons from G Angel as I am only making 36.8 mpg with my DSG currently. Still it is way better than the 24 mpg I was getting with my '02 Altima.

One thing I like to do is use the sport mode when in town to keep the rpms up over 2K, it could be that is burning fuel unnecessarily...doesn't matter though I love this car!

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I'm right at 47mpg average lifetime on my 2012 Jetta TDI over 28,000km so about 17.5k miles.
I have a 170 mile round trip commute, and drive about 65-70mph.

deucelee

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI 6MT ___ Plat Gray on Black
took a trip one time...was going west and getting terrible, terrible mileage...it was like 35mpg. about 3/4 of the way there, i then see some flags, they were blowing right against me!!! the wind was the culprit.

on the way back home, i was doing 53'ish because i got the tail wind

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
took a trip one time...was going west and getting terrible, terrible mileage...it was like 35mpg. about 3/4 of the way there, i then see some flags, they were blowing right against me!!! the wind was the culprit.

on the way back home, i was doing 53'ish because i got the tail wind
When the winds are that bad its time to draft...:D

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
Only problem with that is when you get pulled over for tailgating, they don't tend to like it when you point out that they do it in Nascar so that must mean it's ok :mad:
LOL, if it only worked that way, than I would have an excuse for doing 180 too :D

Grievous Angel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (traded after Diesel-Gate)
Interesting information - I suppose I should get some lessons from G Angel as I am only making 36.8 mpg with my DSG currently. Still it is way better than the 24 mpg I was getting with my '02 Altima.

One thing I like to do is use the sport mode when in town to keep the rpms up over 2K, it could be that is burning fuel unnecessarily...doesn't matter though I love this car!
And highway speed? I stay 65/70 and pay a lot of attention to the throttle.

A lot of people don't have that kind of patience . . but it's kind of a game to me now--searching for that "best tank." I go against that game when I "get into it" but supposedly keeping it blown out will keep mpg up.

I rarely brake. I'm often near a dead stop before I use the brake, depending on traffic. That's just coasting down, using the throttle to manage/smooth the upshifts . .

. . I'm convinced I'd be averaging 3-5 mpg better with the stick. Still kicking myself for that.

Oh, and I use Opti-Lube. Somewhere between the .25 and .5 oz per gallon as prescribed. I have no idea if that affects the mileage--I'm just doing it out of HPFP terror.

I've managed to get the trip avg to 56mpg on the way home from work--now a "good" day is around 53. On the way to work I'm happy if I break 50. So for me it looks like about a 5 mpg difference between the computer and "measured at the pump" numbers.

Last edited:

Corvus

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Update: official highway mileage so far in 45.6 MPG.

Perhaps it will get even better after I keep "breaking it in."!

C.