Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Report Date : October 6, 2011 at 07:48 AM NHTSA Campaign ID number : 11V490000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): AUDI / A3 2010-2012
VOLKSWAGEN / GOLF 2010-2012
VOLKSWAGEN / JETTA 2009-2012
VOLKSWAGEN / JETTA SPORTWAGEN 2009-2012
Manufacturer: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Mfr's Report Date: SEP 30, 2011 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V490000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL Potential Number of Units Affected: 168,275 Summary:
VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL 2009-2012 JETTA AND JETTA SPORTWAGEN VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2008 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2010-2012 AUDI A3 VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2011, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH A 2.0L TDI COMMON RAIL DIESEL ENGINE/CLEAN DIESEL ENGINE. THE FUEL INJECTION PULSES COULD COINCIDE WITH THE NATURAL FREQUENCY OF THE INJECTOR LINE #2, IN SPECIFIC LOAD AND RPM CONDITIONS. THIS RESONANCE CREATES ADDITIONAL STRESS IN THE FUEL LINE. Consequence:
DUE TO THE RESONANCE CONDITION, INJECTOR LINE NUMBER 2 COULD DEVELOP SMALL CRACKS WHICH COULD LEAD TO FUEL LEAKAGE. LEAKING FUEL IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, MAY LEAD TO A FIRE. Remedy:
VOLKSWAGEN WILL INSTALL AN IMPROVED FUEL INJECTOR LINE FOR THE NUMBER 2 CYLINDER AND WILL INSTALL VIBRATION DAMPERS ON ALL OF THE INJECTOR LINES. VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS TO HAVE THE VEHICLES REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987. Notes:
VOLKSWAGEN RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 23J9/V5. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Had my car at the dealer to replace the rear view mirror (had a flat spot and wouldnt stay where i set it to). Show them a copy of the above and they dont have any info yet. He did hear about the "Stop Sale" but nothing in the system yet.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Wow! Yet another new thread about this recall. I think we are now up to eight or nine. Perhaps we should just start a new one everyday.:confused: Try a search for "recall" and you will be surprised. At this rate any new information will be impossible to find, because it will be spread all over the place.

Have Fun!

Don

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
Don:

I started this thread 8 minutes after the NTSC issued the recall. There were no other threads or posts on the recall.

Wow! Yet another new thread about this recall. I think we are now up to eight or nine. Perhaps we should just start a new one everyday.:confused: Try a search for "recall" and you will be surprised. At this rate any new information will be impossible to find, because it will be spread all over the place.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
there was a dealer that gave a customer a heads up the "recall" was coming and it was posted here before the NHTSB went public with it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
Don, none of those threads are in reference to a recall. They all speculate a recall but only mention the "stop sale." Also one of the thread links you gave is simply a thread that gives a link to the last thread you gave. And while we're being picky, you said there were "eight or nine" so how bought the other five or six you only linked three?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don, none of those threads are in reference to a recall. They all speculate a recall but only mention the "stop sale." Also one of the thread links you gave is simply a thread that gives a link to the last thread you gave. And while we're being picky, you said there were "eight or nine" so how bought the other five or six you only linked three?
All three have the word "recall" in the thread title (granted they were talking about an upcoming recall). However, you are correct that these are the only ones posted before this thread. I guess I missed this thread yesterday when it was first posted. By the time I saw it there were 8 or 9 other threads posted. That was my mistake, and I'm willing to admit it. I just got frustrated yesterday when people kept starting new threads and the important information got spread around in all of the threads and it became almost impossible to get all of the important facts. A simple search for the word "recall" (by all of the posters, not just the OP of this thread) would have made things much simpler and less confusing. Nothing personal intended, just venting my frustration.

Have Fun!

Don