Timing belt damage bought from emiata.com (Prothe)

robby

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi,
I bought two timing belt kits from emiata.com or also known as hansautoparts.com.

About three months ago my fathers engine died because the timing belt ripped apart. Now at 40000km after I had the timing belt changed my jetta experienced the same issue. As you can imagine extensive damage to the engine as well as to my wallet. Did anyone else had this type of issue with parts purchased from the websites listed above, especially with timing belts? Any legal advice you can offer?

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Prothe!
Alot of folks have been burned by this guy.
Use the search function for "Prothe" and you'll see what I mean.

The guy is known for selling C.R.A.P. (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts) of dubious quality.

Last edited:

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
Hi,
I bought two timing belt kits from emiata.com or also known as hansautoparts.com.

About three months ago my fathers engine died because the timing belt ripped apart. Now at 40000km after I had the timing belt changed my jetta experienced the same issue. As you can imagine extensive damage to the engine as well as to my wallet. Did anyone else had this type of issue with parts purchased from the websites listed above, especially with timing belts? Any legal advice you can offer?

Thanks
Rob
Ahh. Good old Prothe aka Rothenbacher Engineering. The previous owner of my friends Jetta used the same kit you did, the water pump seized, shredded the belt, damaged the tensioner and crashed the head. Cost him over $2000 to have it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
People never learn:rolleyes:....always trying to cheap out on a major maintenance item-then comes back to take a big bite out of their a$$:(:(-why is it people seem to find this site AFTER a major problem????

racer4

TDI
2010 Touareg, 2011 Jetta
If it doesn't say Continental, Goodyear, Dayco, Mitsuboshi, or something recognizable. I won't install it...its not worth the risk.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
...sigh...

Incredible how this guy PRothe just keeps on going and going... and finding new victims (I hesitate to call them customers)... I knew about his emiata alias, but the hansautoparts is a new one for me...

...sad...

Yuri

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
He is in NC ?If so we can stop by on the way to the fest:D

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
Prothe strikes again! :rolleyes:

We need an angry mob of TDI owners to pay him a personal visit.
How does he sleep at night?

Do you think every single timing belt kit he sells destroys an engine, or do some tiny percentage of his parts go the distance?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
He's probably delusional--Truely believes he sells a quality product at a great price.

--Nate

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Perhaps there should be a sticky thread of buyer beware - and list all the different pseudo names for Prothe and other shady vendors. The list can grow, and then a search will bring up the popular thread.

Title it - Think twice before going 'going cheap' with these Vendors...(or something like that)

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
A search on Prothe will bring up dozens of threads already...

It's a good idea, but the problem is mostly that he is always one step ahead of us with a new website.

robby

TDI
2001 Jetta
This is the response I received from them:
When I spoke with you over the phone I told you the only thing I could offer was shipping you replacement parts from our inventory specifically. That offer has not changed. Anything beyond sending replacement parts for parts damaged is beyond our responsibility. We can understand the pains you are going through, and it is very unfortunate. Our thoughts are with you, and if you still would like replacement parts, we will be more than happy to send parts your way.

Customer Service
Rothenbacher Engineering
5005 Smith Farm Rd
Matthews, NC 28104
704-684-1235

The question is why would I want to put more parts from them in my car that already is costing me 2000$ in engine damage. Also she send me the the warranty and terms of sale statement "If a part that RE sells is alleged to have caused damages to other parts in a customer's car, RE is not responsible for those damages. RE is not responsible for damages under any circumstance or condition, even if the part(s) were installed by a professional or certified mechanic."

If there is anyone that's willing to get a lawyer involed and start a Class action lawsuit I'd be more than happy to donate considering that RE cost my family already close to 3500$ in damages. I also will be opeing a case with BBB. The more info there is on the net regarding this company the better for. It never crossed my mind to do research for "prothe" before I ordered from them.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I say everyone with bad parts call the # and leave a message-too bad you couldn't get a local TV station w/ investigative reporters to check him out. I still can't believe after all these years of selling junk over the internet and ebay he hasn't been shut down.....or why VW hasn't messed w/ him for trademark infringements,like they do with honest,reputable members here.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Here is new sites

HansAutoParts.com
Mercedes-Diesel-Parts.com
EMiata.com

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
When I spoke with you over the phone I told you the only thing I could offer was shipping you replacement parts from our inventory specifically. That offer has not changed. Anything beyond sending replacement parts for parts damaged is beyond our responsibility. We can understand the pains you are going through, and it is very unfortunate. Our thoughts are with you, and if you still would like replacement parts, we will be more than happy to send parts your way.

Customer Service
Rothenbacher Engineering
5005 Smith Farm Rd
Matthews, NC 28104
704-684-1235

The question is why would I want to put more parts from them in my car that already is costing me 2000$ in engine damage. Also she send me the the warranty and terms of sale statement "If a part that RE sells is alleged to have caused damages to other parts in a customer's car, RE is not responsible for those damages. RE is not responsible for damages under any circumstance or condition, even if the part(s) were installed by a professional or certified mechanic."

If there is anyone that's willing to get a lawyer involed and start a Class action lawsuit I'd be more than happy to donate considering that RE cost my family already close to 3500$ in damages. I also will be opeing a case with BBB. The more info there is on the net regarding this company the better for. It never crossed my mind to do research for "prothe" before I ordered from them.
For them to say they are not responsible for damage caused by one of their parts does not necessarily make it so. Time to run this by a lawyer.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Years ago, I had a friend that bought a rebuilt carburetter for his Dodge and a screw that bolts the mounting flange to the carb body fell out and went through his engine. The vendor cheerfully replaced the screw and informed my friend he was on his own for any damage caused by the screw going through his engine.

My friend called the BBB and was told that the vendor was completely legally blameless for the damage according to how the laws are written for such situations. I'd imagine the laws in most states work in a similar fashion.

Duster408

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta

Customer Service
Rothenbacher Engineering
5005 Smith Farm Rd
Matthews, NC 28104
704-684-1235

BBB is a waste of time. You need the Bureau of Consumer Protection for North Carolina (whenever this course of action is use, the state the vendor is located is the office you file a complaint). Fill out the form with ALL information and action you have taken including dates, names of persons spoken to and replies received. They will contact the vendor on your behalf. Vendors don't like to have a letter from the Attorney Generals Office in on their desk although prothe might be different.

Here's the link :
http://www.ncdoj.gov/Consumer.aspx

NewtsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Silver 5sp Jetta TDI
Prothe strikes again! :rolleyes:
We need an angry mob of TDI owners to pay him a personal visit.
Put up a roll sheet, I'll be on it.

It's beyond me that people can be comfortable with making a living that way.

I'd like to know how much money in damages his C.R.A.P. has cost people.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Here is new sites

HansAutoParts.com
Mercedes-Diesel-Parts.com
EMiata.com
Just how can ANYONE live with them self knowing that there parts cause such damage and $$$. Buyer beware. For me I'll just stick with OEM parts for my cars.
HELL has a very special place for people like :mad: PROTHE.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Greed makes these purveyors of garbage successful. Some people think that they are beating the system by getting a part that say is 100 bucks from a reliable source, for 20 bucks, thinking that it will work. It just doesn't work that way. as Caesar said to Brutus "caveat emptor"

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
For them to say they are not responsible for damage caused by one of their parts does not necessarily make it so. Time to run this by a lawyer.

Agreed. Back when I had the TJ (Jeep), the cats were known for blowing apart and were covered under recall from the factory. Well, mine blew apart, but the Jeep also needed to have the $400 muffler replaced. Jeep said they were not liable for the muffler, but when I called Chrysler Corporate and explained the situation to them, they agreed to have the muffler replaced under warranty.

I have little faith in the judicial system, but it seems to me a plausible case can be made to make Prothe responsible for the toof'ing his CRAP causes. Contacting a lawyer may be exactly what is needed to shut this moron down.

seatdriver100

TDI
leon 110 (non pd)
Why not search him out on E-bay, "buy" his parts then never go through with the payment side of things. just make up a new username to do this. May not get your money back, but will make you feel better.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Is there anyone who's any good at website stuff and could maybe hyjack his sites as and when they appear so instead of going to his site it went to a warning page saying what a c**t he is.

ProStreetDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Wow, I can just imagine how you feel op... Really sorry to hear. I just got into a couple incidents this past week with 2 different places that I ordered parts online, but definitely not this intense of damage though.

I'm assuming this is an American company right??? What I did with the one place was started posting on the forum that they sponsored when I wasn't getting any replies. They definitely weren't pleased at all. And considering that they are selling aftermarket parts for multiple European vehicles, post on other car forums other than Volkswagen. Now for emailing, it also doesn't work as well as talking to someone on the phone.

Also, have you tried to call the company that made the timing belt???