VW growing pains.

cage

Top Post Dawg
I posted in the past how two of my friends were totally over their gasser Jettas (VR6 & 2.0) Well I hadn't talked to my one friend about his car in about a year and now at 5 years old he is happy with it. Check engine light after check engine light the car has finally "fixed itself" as he put it and he now loves the car. The same is true with me and my Beetle. In the beginning I had little nagging problems that were making me crazy but now at 5.5 years old the car is flawless. Whats with VW's and their growing pains. It seems that they do the opposite of all other cars on the road which isn't good for repeat sales since most people lease or give up on the problems after a year or two. Kind of sad to think of how many customers VW has lost to crib death type problems. If only people would have held out they would realize how great these cars actually are.

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
I can certainly confirm your findings. VW's IMHO require the odd adjustment here and there, but in the long run, they are awesome. We're on our 5th Dub now, and we've been extremely satisfied with them all. These are long term cars. Dubs seem to come into their prime when the competition either rusts out or falls apart /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd rather have it this way... get the bugs out on warranty, and get to enjoy the car for many more years. It took two years to get the bugs out of our Westfalia Syncro, but that turned out to be an awesome vehicle without issues up until we sold it 9 years later /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harry.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'm right there with you. My car about drove me around the bend during the first 18 months. I had to deal with a LOT more issues up front than any new car owner should be asked to accept, and dealer stupidities only made things worse. I had to stop payment on two different items (two different dealers, one of which has since, thankfully, gone out of business - Belmont Volkswagen). I also had to generate two extended paper trails to resolve two other issues. Insanity. Yet, just like Cage, I have a 5.5 year old Beetle with zero squeaks or rattles, a tight feel, great handling, and features that you'd expect on a more expensive car that still please (heated seats, to name one).

That said, I don't think I'll buy another VW. My next car will definitely have the latest in turbocharged compression engines, but I bet it will be a second generation commonrail Acura TSX with AWD - hopefully the tall wagon model I've already seen examples of in the form of the RD-X. I figure 2008. By then, my car will be well-aged and ready for its second owner. The japanese have definitely profiled the Passat. Even the doors have a nice teutonic weight to them now.