2004 Passat TDI Wagon build - Manual swap, tune...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF, '04 Passat Wagon, 5-speed, BSD, our 8th. and 9th. TDI's
OK, the project has begun! I've been seriously missing my blue 6-spd JETTA TDI Wagon since the buyback and have been lusting over a built Passat wagon for years... Found a decent 2004 with a blown Auto Trans for a very good price, so it's "Hello Frans"! Getting a Euro transmission, likely a DUK, and manual shift kit, a Frans-recommended DMF with a SACHS clutch... will be having Mike McCann do a Malone Stage 2 tune on it while he does the Auto-delete... will likely have him do the swap and balance shaft delete too. I'm planning a mild suspension for it and I'll do the paintwork eventually. I've seen some Plasti-Dipped cars that look damn good, though a nice custom blue-green candy job would be awesome! I used to be able to paint in my garage before it got so cluttered. Good excuse to clean the place up! I'll post pictures as the project progresses!

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Subscribed also. It would be great if you listed the part #'s for the clutch setup that you are using and your opinion of it once it up on the road.

My project 5sp conversion is on the back burner for a while waiting for me to pull the trigger on a clutch setup.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Parts...

Sure, will do that. I just paid Frans for the kit including a DUK, new DMF and SACHS clutch. We discussed clutches to handle the Stage 2 Malone tune I'm putting on the car and I'm deferring to his expertise and suggestions, having read more than one post about different clutch set-up's not handling the torque! I'm not a great fan of DMF's but all my experience has been in Jetta's or Golf's. I'm going with Frans' experience on this one. Will keep you posted. He sent me an invoice, no parts numbers yet, but I'll post them when they come in. The car went to Mike McCann's place in Westfield for a balance shaft delete and the transmission swap. I just bought a gorgeous 4Motion V6 wagon with a blown transmission for $400.00. I was intending to use it as a parts car, swapping the LUX grey leather interior and other parts but it is so nice my Wife suggested I "build them both and see which one you like better!" What a Woman! Anyway, I'll do the suspension, interior, body and paintwork... To be continued...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
...normally I do most of my own mechanical work but I've got two other projects in the garage right now half done! This one I'm going to pay an experienced wrench to do... Maybe I'll be able to drive it by August!

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I am getting ready to have my car swapped very soon to a manual transmission. Very curious as to what camshaft and clutch setup you are planning to use. My transmission is a 5 speed ( FHN ) setup. Definitely watching your build

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Yikes!

That's not how project cars work :p
Best of luck with the build!
Yeah, hoping for the best on this build! The BMW CS coupe has been Taking up the better half of my garage for three years now! Paintwork is a good excuse to get the shop cleaned up... Three cars to paint!

adam4584

TDI
'04 B5.5 Passat, '09 Jetta tdi
duteman if that sachs dmf and clutch is a stock set up i highly recommend getting a stouter setup. my kerma tune and similar setup started to slip under hard acceleration after maybe 1-2k but i love it and a bigger clutch is in my future.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
The SMF and Valeo clutch that Franz sold me has been fine with a stage 2 tune for 12000 miles.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I have the Valeo SMF from Franz too. It did well until my stage 2 tune, then it slipped as soon as you got into high boost in the the taller gears. I sent it off to South Bend to redo it. It holds fine now. I do some towing though.
If you go with an EEN trans it can be a tiny bit buzzy at hwy speed, not too bad though. Ash tray rattled a little until I put a folded paper towel under it.
I kind of regret not going with a FHN, DUK or even better yet the 6 speed DQS. Still pretty happy with my car!

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Greetings. The clutch is not a stock one, Frans, Mike and I had a bit of a discussion about it. My preference was for a SMF, but Frans stuck to his recommendation for the DMF, particularly since I was going to do a balance shaft delete. He said the clutch he's sending "might be a bit stiffer than stock but it will hold a Stage 2 Tune", or something to that effect, I have no problems with that, but I don't want it to slip! I'll post part numbers when I get them. I would have liked the FHN but according to Frans they are getting harder to find, he did not have one, so the DUK is coming. I'll get some pictures up soon.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Doesn't matter what transmission you get as long as it's geared for a TDI. The slight difference between the different models is not really noticeable.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Generally a pretty clean car. The previous owner had two kids... two car seats, so, the back seat needs some cleaning. Some Lexol might be in order too. Running first...

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
At Mike McCann's shop in Westfield, Ma. Ready to get down to it...

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Step one: Remove the balance shaft unit, Drive delete, ALH oil pump kit, new drive system, new timing belt, water pump, idler, etc.

If you've been wondering about these balance shafts, they are in this unit, two heavy counter-rotating masses. This picture is the "Balance Shaft Unit". It comes out in one assembly.

The old drive unit comes off...

The new one goes on...

The timing belt and whatnot... with new oil pump drive behind...

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
What was the mileage? What kind of shape was the balance shaft drive in?

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
The car has just over 150k, the drive was reasonable and the balance shaft unit was spinning freely, seemed fine. I just decided it was the right thing to do at the time. Are you looking for the drive parts, or the balance shaft unit? Are you asking about what condition the chain and teeth were? I didn't inspect them closely, but they were functioning fine.

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey ZZdiesel... You have one of each? A gear drive and a delete?

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that you mention it, looking at the picture Mike took that cog looks pretty worn!

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
BSD!

New oil pump detail...

Transmission from Frans at Dutch...

Strapped to the skid quite nicely...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry for the mis-matched picture format... using different computers and software...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting back together, new air dryer... Vacced-out, reassembled, re-charged right after this picture...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Springs and budget-Koni's... clutch and parts box from Frans... I'll post part numbers and specs...

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
I can concur, He sends nice stuff. Not the salt corroded junk we have here...

Make sure you fill it with oil, Frans drains them before shipping.
Thanks for the oil reminder, Mike McCann is doing the swap and ECU tune, Auto delete, Stage 2 Malone... he's very good and a conscientious guy. The photos are in his shop in Westfield, MA.