2010 SportWagen TDI Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver

TanManIsTan

TDI
2010 VW Jetta SportWagen
Hi Everyone,

I need to outfit my SW with a trailer hitch. It seems that most (if not all) on the market have a 1-1/4" receiver.

Does anyone know of a brand with a 2" receiver? All of my current hitches, bike rack, etc. are 2".

I know that there are converters that would be fine for the bike rack but I would like to not have to use that. Nor, do I want to go buy 1-1/4" receivers.

Any info is appreciated.

Suggestions of brands would also be appreciated. What should I expect to pay with install. Has anyone installed themselves? Is it a PIA?

--TanMan

secteur_cyclist

TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
The installation aspect is easy for most common tow bars/hitches. 30 minutes max.

However in the US nobody sells a 2 inch receiver for this vehicle, mainly because 2 inch receivers are made for a capacity that exceeds the towing capacity of the VW (as viewed by the US gov't).

That being said, a few people on this forum have had custom made hitches build and you may be able to locate the threads with a bit of digging.

I would also advise against using adapters to go from 1.25" to 2" as they reduce the original capacity in half.

mauric6943

TDI
'10 VW Sportwagen
TMan - Looks like we're in the same boat. I've got another thread going and hoping for a line on either the Westfalia or Bosal towbars.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397454

This thread shows the install and some of the options others have some up with. The custom solution I like the most is #73 in DarrenF towbar install thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=73

From what I've found, there is no issue with either of these towbars handling the weight of a the bikes and rack but rather how to setup for the 2" receiver.

What do you ride? Between my gf and I we have like 10 bikes: 2 road, 2 FS, 2 SS, 2 touring , DJ & 24" cruiser so I'm really looking forward to getting a hitch installed

Last edited: