Engine has just started running-on/dieseling when ignition shut off

Octang Frye

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta
Hi, I have a 2006 TDI with 65,000. In the last week, when I turn off the ignition, the car runs-on/diesels for a little bit (less than a second).

I've searched the forums and it seems that on older models, this could be caused by the fuel stop solenoid, or the anti-shudder valve.
Does anyone have experience with this issue and any tips on what to look for/how to resolve this?

The car also occasionally bounces up and down after driving on the freeway and then coming to idle. Engine seems to be running fine but it just bounces. Applying a little diesel via the accelerator makes the symptom go away. Not sure if these two issues are related.

I would appreciate any input! Anything, including go **** myself. Cheers!

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Have you scanned for fault codes? It might help especially if it's the asv or something because I'm sure yours is electronic. I doubt it would be the cam at 65,000 miles.:)

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Running on is the anti-shudder valve. They are electric and have a plastic gear that drives them that wears out.

The bouncing RPM (I guess you see a little movement, like less than 100 rpm on the tachometer?), is that accompanied with a little subtle jiggle from the engine? If so, my latest car does that occasionally and I have never in the last 25k miles figured it out.

Octang Frye

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta
Car is in the shop, yes, it was the anti-shudder valve. They want almost $600 to fix this. Is this something I can do myself easily? Has anyone done this?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Read other threads on the subject...

Just did my '06. $50.00 for a German component and 20 minutes from hood open to hood close. I cheated because I already had my VagCom hooked up and clearing the code took the push of a button.

Nothing proprietary, nothing difficult, and certainly nothing anyone should pay $600 to replace in my opinion.

kealonnix

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've got the same thing going on. I ordered one from ECS Tuning as well. This is the old A part number, I think VW is using a Q part number now. Will that make a difference?

I don't know about you guys, but I am not impressed with ECS Customer Service. I ordered on Monday and at that time they said that the product ships out in 1-3 days because they have to get it from VW. They guy I was talking to said that they should have it no later than Thursday. The standard ground shipping was $15 for a part that weighs less than a pound. I really needed this by the weekend, so I paid for 2nd day air (only $2 more). I called to check on this and they said that it takes 4-7 days for them to get it from VW and there is no way possible for me to have it by Saturday.

I understand that, but honestly I was shocked at how rude the guy was about this. I actually asked to speak to his manager, and he was extremely rude as well. I really got mad because I am in sales and would never think about treating a customer the way I was treated.

Anyway, I guess I'm willing to put up with it since the price is so good.

Octang Frye

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta
Read other threads on the subject...

Just did my '06. $50.00 for a German component and 20 minutes from hood open to hood close. I cheated because I already had my VagCom hooked up and clearing the code took the push of a button.

Nothing proprietary, nothing difficult, and certainly nothing anyone should pay $600 to replace in my opinion.
I have looked, Nord. I am pretty savvy when it comes to searching the forums, but I couldn't find anything. I searched for EGR, EGR valve, EGR replacement, anti shudder valve, anti shutter, flap, etc, etc.

Thanks for your input. The interesting (perhaps worrying) thing is that there is no CEL on, so nothing to reset.

Wondering if something else might be going on too.