Turbo replacement issue

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon Engine Code BEW
I recently replaced my turbo with the Garrett VNT-17 in my 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI including all of the suggested replacement parts. Now, there seems to be a lot of lag time and loss of power even after the turbo kicks in. Also, at 2200-2500 RPMs the engine seems to hesitate and stutter a little bit. Any ideas how to tune it to fix these issues. I live in Colorado - altitude at about 5000 ft.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
When you say all the suggested replacement parts, does that by any chance include a 3-bar MAP sensor? If you installed one of those and didn't get a tune for it, that would probably cause some issues (ECU wouldn't know the real boost pressure).

In general, a VNT-17 will be laggy without a tune to support it.

I used Malone Tuning, but there are plenty of others, depending what is most convenient for you.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is the check engine light on? Did you use a mity-vac to adjust the VNT rod?

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon Engine Code BEW
I did not install the 3-bar MAP sensor. The engine light is not on and I will ask my mechanic if he used a mity- vac to adjust thebVNT rod.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
With VNT 17 you have to do tuning and 3 bar map sensor to make it work correct.
That turbo is much bigger then original and it will never work correct with out tuning and 3 bar map sensor.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You can get away without tuning, the actuator should not need adjusting before having software that's better suited for that turbo, would do that last once it's been data logged and tuned. The CEL will not trigger typically for underboost or limp mode unless it's severe, it'd be best to start by data logging block 11 with VCDS and then have it tuned for this turbo. Stock this motor made 50HP less than the pd150s that were equip with this turbo, so the turbo is pretty bored at the moment.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
You can get away without tuning, the actuator should not need adjusting before having software that's better suited for that turbo, would do that last once it's been data logged and tuned. The CEL will not trigger typically for underboost or limp mode unless it's severe, it'd be best to start by data logging block 11 with VCDS and then have it tuned for this turbo. Stock this motor made 50HP less than the pd150s that were equip with this turbo, so the turbo is pretty bored at the moment.
Actually 60hp less,ALH=90 HP, Pd150 = 150Hp, so the is more then 50% .

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
you need a 3bar MAP sensor and a tune