Radio freezing up

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta MKIV, 1.9 BEW with 09A
Hey guys,

The other day, my radio froze. It lights up, but I can't do anything with it. Only the on/off button works. None of the knobs or buttons do anything. No sound, nothing. It won't work in tape, radio or CD mode. I pulled fuse 42 and left it out overnight. I plugged it back in the following morning and it worked for a few minutes before freezing up again. Any ideas?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
There's another fuse in the back of the radio.
If you do pull the radio to get to it you could also unplug the radio for several minutes.
Real long shot.

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Soooooo it randomly started working again. I'll take it as an early toll of the death bell. I'll probably just pick up another unit when it gives up the ghost for good.

Thanks guys!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I searched for a clearance deal for years before I found a Kenwood with navigation and an optional Delirious satellite option in clearance at Best Buy.
It's a world of difference from the Monsoon.

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so the Monsoon kicked the bucked for good. Same symptoms in the original post. I would love to buy an aftermarket radio but I don't want to lose my steering wheel radio control capabilities. Does anyone know of a radio system where I can keep those? What about other accessories like wiring harnesses and mounting frames?

Also, if I decide to simplify things and buy a used Monsoon, I need the vin number of the original car the radio was in and I have to call the dealer with the vin to get the radio code to unlock, right?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Just touch base with your local dealer to make sure they'll do it. Yes they are supposed to do it. Sometimes dealers just make stuff up just to squeeze the last dollar out of you.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the steering wheel controls will work if it's wired in correctly.
Not positive but I think it uses the can bus to communicate.
Call Crutchfield or scour their web site. https://www.crutchfield.com
I got a 'power injector' for the antenna to keep using the antenna booster from them.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
You can retain steering wheel controls if you buy the correct harness and modules in addition to your aftermarket headunit.

There may be other options but idatalink's Maestro RR is one of them. Crutchfield outlines it pretty well and its a relatively simple install process.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. Some people have been very satisfied with their Chinese android headunits.

I installed a kenwood DNX994S on mine.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I really don't want to hijack but wanted to add that I have had a very similar/identical problem with my 2003 but mine is not Monsoon. I (temporarily) solved the problem by getting a replacement identical unit on Ebay and calling the dealer for the code.

however, less than a year later the radio has frozen again. The display is on, radio is on FM to the last station tuned and most controls are unresponsive. iirc the volume control changes a bar graph on the display but there is no sound.

This is very curious to me that two radios could fail in the same way in such a short time period. I wonder if this failure is in the chassis of these vehicles rather than in the radios.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Something I just found out a few years ago.
On top of some capacitors there is an X scratched in.
The purpose is when the capacitor fails it swells up and would pop off the circuit board so instead it bulges the top and it cracks open to release pressure.

I've repaired a few TV's in the last few years with them.
I wonder if the Monsoon's have the same problem. :confused: