Acrobat Reader lockup problem, a fix?

Hondo

Veteran Member
Try this preference setting change for lockup problems when opening a * . pdf (Acrobat Reader) files from in your Internet Explore Browser. I have been fighting this problem for a while at work. Another System Administrator and I came up with this fix and it seems to work pretty good. I will admit we only have tested it a few days. Open up Acrobat Reader by it self then click on (File) then click on (preferences) then (general) uncheck the (Web browser Integration) selection Box. For some reason this function seems to be the real problem. Acrobat Reader and Internet Explore will not play together nicely. Then click (ok). I'm not so sure this next part really is needed, but here goes. Then click (file) then click on (preferences) then (weblink) make sure the web browser application box is pointed to the Iexplore.exe file. Make sure the connection type is Internet Explorer. Then open your browser and go out on the web and find a *.pdf File. As soon as you click on a *. pdf link you will get a drop down box because you turned off the web browser integration asking if you want to Open the file from its current location or Save this file to disk. Select the Open the file from its current location button. Then uncheck the always ask before opening this type of file button only if you don’t want to see this box any more. If you don’t UN check this, you will always be prompted with this box every time you try to open a *.pdf file. I think it’s a pain so mine is unchecked. Then say (ok). Now try to open another *.pdf file from in your web browser. They should open automatically without any problems from what I have seen in the limited time I have tested it!
Hondo

[This message has been edited by Hondo (edited June 16, 2000).]