DIY EGT display approx $16

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
My tuner took a first hand look at my the nano I brought with me when doing a VNT17 upgrade, and he actually suggested the arduboy, since everything's in one chassis. Not sure if this would have the data lines to connect the MAX6675 to, as everything is already nearly mounted otherwise? I'm still hung up on how I'd mount this project (let alone that I haven't yet picked up a probe and installed it yet).
https://arduboy.com/

Aknovaman

TDI
2001 golf tdi
At this point i am tempted to build a surround frame of black lego bricks. Not finding a decent looking dispkay case. Started nextion display programmimg this week. So far, so good.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
At this point i am tempted to build a surround frame of black lego bricks. Not finding a decent looking dispkay case. Started nextion display programmimg this week. So far, so good.
A good friend of mine also offered to help me design a case using his 3D printer at work, but I haven't had a chance to get back to him yet. Aside from actually installing a probe on the car, this is the only thing holding me back. Since all 3 TDIs have tunes and upgraded turbos now, it's more important than ever to keep an eye on my EGTs.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Aknovaman-I just found out they make transparent OLED screen (I'm behind the tech times...), would that work the same for a HUD style gauge????

Aknovaman

TDI
2001 golf tdi
I have seen them and not tested them. Not really something i would want. Actually not researched them enough to make an educated opinion.

Last edited:

nikolay_ss

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
Very interesting thread! I have a question.
I want to decode K or CAN packets and send them to oled display, I have both, because I'm with ALH TDI 2000 year.
I want to see info like mg/s, intake air temp, boost pressure and other engine module diagnostic info.
I get the chip from this

but don't know which pin on elm327 to connect to arduino so I can receive the data on the arduino and send it to the display.
Can someone help me? I tried to search on google, but there are only examples with normal obd2 and not bluetooth. I will solder it so it won't be bluetooth anymore, but I just don't have the other elm I only have this one with bluetooth.

nikolay_ss

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
Yes, thanks! Exactly like in the video in youtube, I want something like this. But I want to do it with wires, because with bluetooth it will have lag like 1s or less, but not good for real data like boost bars. I can't open this site garyjs.com/MicroMFD, can you open it?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I would like to be able to read data from ecu ram (edc17 tricore ecu) via CCP protocol. If you have a2l you basically have the key to get acces and ram adress of every single label in the ecu (like 20k labels)

another option would be to use the UDS protocol

notabiker

TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
Any more info? I'd love to hook this up to the egt so the wife will know when a regen is happening and leave the car running for a bit or keep driving until it's over. I'd think it would be 100's of times easier to have it get the info off the obdII port or wiring instead of installing a pyro.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Any more info? I'd love to hook this up to the egt so the wife will know when a regen is happening and leave the car running for a bit or keep driving until it's over. I'd think it would be 100's of times easier to have it get the info off the obdII port or wiring instead of installing a pyro.
This thread was intended for older TDIs which have no such info on OBD2.