DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
y0bailey,
The 24mm socket, I assume is for the oil filter housing...just buy a single socket from Sears. For the 14mm hex socket, I assume you are referring to the allen drain plug tool. I bought mine from either Autozone or OReilleys (CRS), in a 3 peice set.

Do you have the fill tool? If not, make your own: Buy a new drain plug and drill out the center and tap with 1/8" Pipe; use clear tubing from the local hardware store, and use a valve.

HTH

Tony

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
DSG service in Raleigh ?

Anyone close to Raleigh (or within driving distance) that wants to perform my 40K DSG service? All this talk worries me and I have very little faith the dealer is going to do this correctly. I'd be glad to pay whomever can do this. I can purchase the materials locally at the dealer (20% off) and provide lunch/dinner and cash payment. What a deal!:) I would also like to watch/learn how it's done so I can do the next DSG service. Any takers- PM me.

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Mac,

I am in cary and am at 35k. I am going to be performing the service on my car soon and if it goes well I would be happy to help. That being said my commute is now significantly shorter and it will take a few months to hit 40k.

I haven't done it before, but if you are at 40k and are looking to perform the change soon I can help out. My expertise is small, but I know how to use common sense and read directions. I was going to just use an IR thermometer for temps, and fill from the top the slow and steady way.

My payment would be nothing, since I know nothing...haha.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
To keep from damaging the seam you could cur a grove in a section of 4X4 timber. I doubt that a 2X4 has enough depth to cut the groove deep enough and not split the board. I am about to do my '09 JSW TDI and in a few days I will know and report how it works out . perhaps three sections of 2X4, two blocks separated by enough space for the flange nailed to a third on the bottom.
The idea is to spread the load and not dent the rocker panel.
JDB

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Help with DSG service

Mac,

I am in cary and am at 35k. I am going to be performing the service on my car soon and if it goes well I would be happy to help. That being said my commute is now significantly shorter and it will take a few months to hit 40k.

I haven't done it before, but if you are at 40k and are looking to perform the change soon I can help out. My expertise is small, but I know how to use common sense and read directions. I was going to just use an IR thermometer for temps, and fill from the top the slow and steady way.

My payment would be nothing, since I know nothing...haha.
Perhaps a cold beer when ur done. (not before) :) As you mentioned, the process seems easy enough, but I hate going thru on something like this and $#%^ it up. Then what? I have about 1-2 weeks or so before I hit 40K. I appreciate the offer to help. Glad to know of another TDIer in the area. Have you heard anything about Washburn Motorsports in Raleigh? Thought about having them do it. Going near the dealer get's my blood pressure up. I may PM you when I get ready to pull the trigger. BTW, I have a contact at SS VW so you can get 20% off of parts you buy. Unless you are getting a good deal elsewhere? Leith?

macejh

TDI
09 JSW 2.0 TDI
Changed my DSG fluid\filter in my 2009 Sportwagon this weekend. I agree with the other 09 owners, the battery and battery tray must come out in the 09s to access the filter. This seems to be optional on the 06s. If you do pull the battery, make sure the radio, lights and all the windows\sunroofs are off\closed.

I drained about 4.5L used fluid from mine. I filled with 6L (needlessly) and 1.7L excess came out after heating to 113 farenheit (verified VagCom with contact thermoter after drain). I was on the high side of fluid temperature so a little more then I would have liked drained off, however, I'm sticking with it as I'm only .3 L short compared to what was originally in there. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Because I disconnected the battery to get at my filter, my JSW also threw the "Electro-Mechanical power steering assist reduced" error. I also got the Traction Control indicator. On p.240 of my manual explaining the power steering, it states "if the battery has been disconnected, the yellow indicator light comes on after the ignition is switched on. It must go out after driving a short distance." I drove 1/2 block and both warning lights disappeared. The rest of my test drive went great. I DID NOT reset my DSG settings back to basic and she shifted just like she has in the past (pretty well).

Due to difference in reports for tools necessary, i didnt have all the tools necessary and had to go to the store multiple times for the proper tools. To that end, I thought I'd post what was needed for my 2009 JSW. Hope it helps someone...
-24mm socket (DSG filter canister)
-14mm Hex (DSG drain\inspection plug)
-8mm Hex (snorkel)
-7mm Hex (air filter housing removal)
-T25\T30 torx (plastic undercarriage pan)
-10mm socket (battery tray)
-7mm? socket (battery terminal)
-Torque wrench(s) (I used two, a small one for snorkel and a larger one for the other required torques)
-homemade VAS6262 (3/8 id hose, filled from beneath in less then 10 min with two people)
-VagCom or non-contact thermometer to measure DSG fluid temp
-Oil drain pan

Good luck to anyone doing this. I would definitely plan on having a helper around. It was helpful for me when filling my homemade VAS6262 to keep fluid consistantly flowing without introducing air between pours into the funnel.

I'd be happy to help anyone in my area accomplish this maintenance. I was kinda leary of doing this but was not going to pay the dealer $1,100 + to do my 40K. Come on! $1,100! Ridiculous!

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Extra tools needed for DSG service: $13.60
Parts to make DSG fill tool: $20.00
Complete DSG parts kit: $115.51 (OutTheDoor)
Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-USB+CAN: $362.50 (just ordered one)
The satisfaction of a DIY and NOT letting the dealer
touch my car: Priceless

Having my brother-in-law (engineer) make the fill tool for me. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. He's got an awesome set of tools! :D

Thanks to all of you who have gone before me and shared your experience and helpful tips. Looking to get this done in the next week or two. Here's hoping all goes well!

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having my brother-in-law (engineer) make the fill tool for me. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. He's got an awesome set of tools! :D
Your BIL is one of the exceptions. I've worked with other engineers that have I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver or a lawnmower.

;)

Tony

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Your BIL is one of the exceptions. I've worked with other engineers that have I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver or a lawnmower.;)Tony
LOL... I hear ya. He can build anything, from anything, for anything. Not joking. Everytime I go and visit he has something cool he made for his son. From a cylinder phonograph, rat rod, to a potato cannon on steroids. So I wasn't joking or making fun, he actually has zillionz of tools and the know-how to use them. I'll post again once I get the new fill tool and complete the DSG service.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Yes, please post pics of his creation. I made one from a drain plug and various brass bits from, well, where there from is of no importance I guess, and some clear hose. Works great, and only cost me $6. Used it twice and hope to do it many more times in the future.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I just bought the kit from ECS Tuning for $124+shipping and will be undergoing this with the help of a local guru with VCDS pretty soon. Thanks for the 09 writeup, it really will help me :). If people thought it was useful, I can record a video of the procedure.

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
I'm getting ready to tackle the DSG service at 40,000 miles. Anyone in the Philly area have a VAS 6262 that they want to rent or a source for the tool for $100? They are getting hard to find and expensive!
Thanks for all the great info!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
I did the service and made a tool from the replacement drain plug and a harbor freight air quick disconnect. I used the fancy blue anodized set to differientate it from other tools and stuff.
I put the quick disconnect side on a clear vinyl hose connected to a new 1 gallon sprayer. I removed the tip witha knife and pushed the vinyl hose over the harder plastic tube from the sprayer. Iused the sprayer valve as a valve to control the oil flow. I installed most of the first four liters in one shot and then relieved the pressure for the other two.
Started the car and let the transmission warm the oil. The temprature was high enough in the air at the time (Alabama heat) that it was quickly warmed up to the range desired.
I opened bled the pressure from the sprayer again and allowed the oil to run back through the hose and quick connect. This was pretty slow so I removed the pump from the sprayer and disconnected the quick drain and let the oil run from the adapter in the transmission plug into the clean new sprayer. I plan to keep the sprayer and tools in a clean garbage bag taped up for the next change.
That way I will have to buy probably only 4 or 5 liters next time.
At the same time in changed the oil and filters and a new ECS tuning magnetic oil plug.
I used the Pella 6000 and like the Prius oil change i did before this one it removed almost all the oil. A little did run out (unlike the prius that was dry when the plug was removed) but what is left is so small that it is not significant in my opinion.
There were no codes set even with the battery removed for the filter removal. I was cautioned by an experienced mechanic who watched over me to not turn the wheels or lots of codes might have to be reset.
I did not change the settings for the transmssion 'learning" and everything was smooth upon restarting. Perhaps the transmission was sommther than before withthe new oil, but that is likly to be imagination as much as any real change. I have over an additional 1200 miles with no problems.
The oil that came out looked just like the oil that went in. The filter was dark, but had no metal I could find.
Good luck with your changes and best regards,

JDB

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
How many miles on original fluid?

While my brother-in-law designs/makes my fill tool (hopefully this week) how long can I go on the original DSG fluid? I'm approaching 40,700 miles. What's too much- 41K? 42K? I can't imagine going 41-42 K miles is really going to hurt the tranny.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would say 5k or so is fine. I've read of others that have gone 10k over the interval, unknowingly. AFAIK, they have had no issues.

Just make sure you get it changed ASAP. It's healthiest for the clutches to get the fluid changed on the recommended intervals.

Tony

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
DSG service ???

Two quick questions.....
1) When filling from the bottom, do you leave the filter out and/or partially open to allow air to bleed out from the tranny?
2) What are the steps to re-program the DSG using VAGCOM? Just got my VCDS and I'm definately a VAGCOM - nooooB. ;)

Someone asked #1, but I never saw an answer or reply. I don't see how filling a sealed chamber will allow fluid to enter it while no air can escape at the same time.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Answer to #1, I filled with new filter inplace with no issues.
Answer to #2, I don't know, didn't reset anything, just looked at the temp of the the oil.

JSWTDIPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Has anybody noticed this statement on the filler tube supplier website for the VAS6262? http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi2.htm#trans

Adapter with M24x1.5 threads for filling DSG gearbox. With lid to fit with your oil container. Limited quantity available. VW will NO LONGER supply these.

The price has jumped to $149.99!!

Whats the word with "VW will NO LONGER supply these." Have they choked us off from the tools we need to service our cars so they can make us come into their shops?

I'm glad people engineered their own filler tubes so we don't have to deal with this. Seriously though, VW needs to get a life!

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I have a hard time believing anyone that does NOT do this type off service for a living would actually buy this extremely over priced tool. It took about 20 minutes to make mine and works great, and only cost me like $8!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
I made a slick replacement with an air line quick connect and an $18.00 garden sprayer.
I cut the tip off the sprayer and used a legnth of vinyl hose to couple to the QC on the drilled and tapped plug.
The sprayer was a 1 gallon unit so after the first 3 ~ 1/2 liters I bled off the pressure and added the rest of the oil.
warmed up the oil per instructions and then held the sprayer under the QC and let the excess drain.
No Sweat!
JDB

ride0169

TDI
2006 jetta tdi dsg 114K
The only way to fill correctly is to know the temperature. Since the DSG has no opening to put in a temperature probe vagcom is the only way to go. Check the tdi club for someone in your area with vagcom and get them to help you.
I was just wondering about using a infra red temperature gun to shoot on tranny and maybe use 10-15 degree's less than on the vagcom tool.?? Just a thought I'm thinking about doing it that way since I have the infrared gun. I don't think it to be to scientific, just warm oil. Anybody else done it this way? thanks

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
40K DSG Service... easy as pie.

Performed the 40K DSG service Monday and so far, so good. Tranny shifts and sounds just as good as it did before. (41,117 miles)
Here's what I learned / experienced:
- Full operating temp of the transmission is about 92 to 94 deg Celsius. I checked this using VAGCOM before and after the fluid change. I was hoping for a tad bit cooler opereting temp with the new fluid.
- old tranny fluid looked good (did not see any impurities)
- My MFD display for MTE (miles till empty) was incorrect immediately after the change, but corrected itself the following morning.
- Filling from the top was rather easy using that funnel/hose from Wallyworld. The black tip fits right into the hole in the filter housing.
- Added 5.5 bottles of fluid.
- recommend a 2-3 minute drive to get the temp up on the tranny fluid. I changed it at the lower end of the recommended level, but will get it warmer next time.
- Watching the fluid drain out of the tranny while the car is running is not a pleasurable experience. All I could think about was my DSG taking a full dump of its innards and seeing them fall out the bottom. 1 full bottle emptied out, so next time I'll only add 5 bottles, not 5 1/2.
- removed the battery/tray to allow full acces to the filter.
- Having someone to help was nice. Thanks to a fellow TDI'er for coming over and helping me out and keeping me on track with the DIY instructions. (which were excellent by the way)

Glad to have this service done and behind me.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Vas 6262

I have a hard time believing anyone that does NOT do this type off service for a living would actually buy this extremely over priced tool.
Agreed. The VAS 6262 as priced is a RIP-OFF. Yes,,, I'd successfully completed the DGS service with this threads assistance. Thanks!

I did remove the battery and battery support tray however leaving the MAF/Air Cleaner in place if only to push out of the way to remove the battery tray. Simply remove the air cleaner box's intake snorkel at the radiator support point; snap together plastic half/shell arrangement. (A short cut to the described DSG service critical path method)

The VCDS is invaluable for these cars...

OP thanks for the assist..

Last edited:

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
Over the years most factory special tools have been way overpriced. The aftermarket industry have brought a lot of them down but those that are still factory specific are still way over priced in MNSHO. And throw in the German Auto Manufacturing factor and it really is overpriced.

I performed my DSG fluid change at 54K mi. Fuid was nice and clear but, I am sure TDS was up and it was a good thing to do. I removed the Battery box, etc and had a hydraulic lift so it was a snap.

I always tell people that ask about how I like my Jetta TDI, if I had to rely strictly on the VW dealer net work for service I wouldn't own one. Thank goodness that we are still allowed to work on our own vehicles not like a lot of places in Europe.