Inching towards 10k miles

Shan's TDI

And I'm still mostly getting 35-36 mpg, have hit 40 ONCE and upper 30's as well but mostly it just sticks to 35ish like its glued. So you say even after 10k miles this is going to continue to increase? I really wanna get 40. And anything over that is just bliss. I wouldn't like ditch my baby girl for the 35 but still ya know. What do you say?

HEMIHD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta PD TDI
I've got about 7K on my 2006 Jetta, and some tanks have been as high as 43 while others have been a low as 36, but over the life of the car I am at 40.

Between the break-in period, and the AC, I really can't complain. Even at my worst tank, it has gotten better mileage than 95% of the cars on the road. Besides, I don't know about your area, but D2 is about $0.20 cheaper here than regular, and $0.30 cheaper than the 89 octane that my truck requires.

bigfoot

TDI
86 jetta 210.000 mi.like new. also 2005 passat tdi 41 mi gal
shan we have the 2006 jetta with dsg trans now at 8000 mi we get 40 to 42 mpg wife took it on 700 mi trip and got 44.1 going and 45.3 coming back with only 1500 mi on odomter. she was runng 70 to 80 with a lot of throttle and letting up to 50 when possible. to help break it in she got this good milage with this kind of driving.but not sence must be something a little wrong now.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
DC area Stop and GO........90+ high heat and humidity 14 days in a row....
A/C full blast......also car only has 3800 miles
I am not complaining

Beeble

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 New Beetle
Shannon, you're not really broken in at 10k miles. It should continue to get better and better. Just remember to drive it a little more aggressively than you would ordinarily, in order to get the high RPMs as well as the low - that helps the pistons seal better.

My wife's Jetta wagon has averaged 37 mpg since we got it used about 5000 miles ago. Occasionally, on road trips, it will top 40 mpg, but generally it stays in the mid- to upper-30s. It's an automatic and weights a bit more than yours, but it's got 25000 miles on it, so it's closer to being broken in, so I would guess that's about average for a PD Jetta.

My Beetle has about 7500 on it and averages 38mpg, but it is going up slowly, with each tank. I think patience is the key here. Check back at 20k and 30k and let us know how it's progressing, OK?

easycopy

TDI
Jetta 2006 DSG Red
Dc Area

Tomo, I live in Arlington, VA understand traffic in DC area. My average is 36 city, 41 highway. I did some long trips to Orlando FL and also to NY. Average mileage 42 full loaded with family and baggage. Actual mileage 6,218. Mileage will increase with time.
Hope some day will see you around.:)

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
yea, i was gettin' pretty bad mileage, but i think it was because i kept on gettin' cheap old diesel from the same gas station.
so then i switch to BP and that added on a few miles per gallon, and then cheveron was the best so far.
Don't go cheap on your diesel, try ta get it from a gas station where a lot of diesel trucks stop at, that way you know the stuff you're gettin' is fresh.

Tomo,
you got any time sat. to meet up and help me with my mud guards?
maybe do a lil oil change too? take some cool shots, mini GTG?
let me know.

-Yi Chen

Shan's TDI

Oh no way I'm not whining. I love my car. And it beats my other cars at 14-25 mpg all the way. I just simply wondered if it will continue to increase as it gets more miles. I was simply asking a question. And we have NO traffic, but it has been over 100 for almost 20 days in a row with little to no rain all year. On top of heat we have high humidity so my car is tough;) Thanks for all the replies!!!!