Popping in front end/steering.

kybishop

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI (gone)
Hey all,

I am getting a popping noise in the front end of my 98 Jetta TDI. I have looked and looked for this myself, had my son look and listen while I turn the wheel. Have taken to two shops, regular trusted mechanics. Not much luck.

The one shop did replace my two lower control arms which did need replacing, 190,000 miles on the Jetta.

I cannot locate what is making this popping noise like a loose fitting and something slipping. It is intermittent, not all the time. It was just happening when I would turn to the right, go to back up and I would hear one pop and feel it in the steering wheel. That was it. Now I get more popping every once in a while when I turn the wheel backing from the drive way. I get it going forward at times too. Only notice driving slow in parking lots or driveway.

The car handles and drives great. The struts look a bit suspect and I will be glad to get rid of them anyway. They are Monroe and float around like a 60's Cadillac. They are maybe a year and a half old and I had them put on as a quick fix not too long after I got the car. The top mount does not look right but we never see any slipping here. It still could be the problem but I feel the popping in the steering wheel quite prominently.

I am going to replace the front struts with some Bilstein TC's soon.

Any advice on what areas are suspect on these cars is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I think the top mount you mention is probably the cause. It could be that it's not broken enough to notice it slipping but if it doesn't look right then that's what I would go for. The only other thing I can think of would be a broken spring. Sometimes I find that whatever is worn, doesn't become obvious until it's completely gone. Hopefully you'll solve it soon though.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine did. Others suggested replacing the strut mount, which I did on both struts, but that did not solve the problem. It turned out that I had a bad lower control arm bushing. Replaced that and the pop was gone.

Since you said that you already replaced the LCAs, I would second the suggestion to replace the strut mounts at least, if you do not end up replacing the struts as planned.

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
This seems to be somewhat common on to the a3 cars- mine has been making this sound for years and I have replaced most of the front end. I read once that it may be swaybar bushings.

Chessie

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat (B4)
Struts and bushings...

The bushings or top of the strut are probably to blame.

Check out the bearing (up top) and and the top cap when you replace your shocks. You should probably just replace the rubber and bearings.

Good luck..

Chessie

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine did. Others suggested replacing the strut mount, which I did on both struts, but that did not solve the problem. It turned out that I had a bad lower control arm bushing. Replaced that and the pop was gone.

Since you said that you already replaced the LCAs, I would second the suggestion to replace the strut mounts at least, if you do not end up replacing the struts as planned.
Here is the culprit, the LCA's...
How many miles on the frame and what type of roads has it gone over?

Replace with the way better Audi TT bushings , they are firmer and less side to side give. Same effort to install!