2000 Jetta made 10.99 which clutch?

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
I'm looking at tune options and don't want to replace clutch just yet. I had read that for model year 2000 there was a switch from a Luk clutch to another. I think the implication was that the Luk clutch could take a Stage 2 tune but later one could not. Anyone know if there was a clear date change on clutch setup or is there a way to tell from inspection under car?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Although some think otherwise, I think only MY 1999 A4 Jettas and Golfs had LUK kits. There isn't any way to tell for sure without pulling the transmission. However, if your clutch isn't too worn then a mild tune with no injector upgrade shouldn't be a problem.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I would think so. You can tell for sure by the VIN. But I doubt they'd be making '99s that late in the year. My '99.5 Golf was assembled in 8/98.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it's listed as a 2000. I was just reading a clutch guide on myturbodiesel which said the 2000's could have either which is why I wanted to figure it out. Looking at the Malone tunes, they take the 1.5 right up to the limit of the Sachs clutch. But if the Luk can handle 250 ft-lb than that could go right to Stage 3. Seems worth figuring out to me but maybe not worth pulling the transmission apart as you say in needed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Remember that regardless of which clutch you have, it's 17 years old. It may not have the strength it's supposed to have regardless of which one it is. If you're concerned about the clutch, don't get the tune. Replace the clutch first.

My son has an '02 Golf that we bought at 265K with the original clutch. It's always been a bit under-fueled, but he didn't want to change anything in the car until we replaced the clutch. We finally did, two weeks ago, at 329K. We also upgraded the nozzles at that time, and the car runs a lot better. But I doubt we'd have gotten the life we did out of the clutch had we upgraded sooner.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Remember that regardless of which clutch you have, it's 17 years old. It may not have the strength it's supposed to have regardless of which one it is. If you're concerned about the clutch, don't get the tune. Replace the clutch first..
That's a really good point. Just as I tend to forget how I've aged, I completely overlooked that my clutch is no spring chicken at this point.