Rocketchip still in business?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Absolutely!!!! Jeff is very, very busy and I believe that updating the website is pretty far down his list of things to do...

If you happen to be free this coming Saturday, there's a get-together at Peter & Julie's place in East Hamstead, NH... Jeff will be there...

All the best,

Yuri.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Not that silly, most people would want to drum up more business with their site. Jeff seems to shy away from it :)
Definitely go up there, and tell Jeff I need a set for a B4 as well! Hmm, maybe I should ship Peter and Julie my spare ECU...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Jeff hasn't replied to multiple e-mails I've sent starting from back in November. He's scheduled to be at a GTG near to me so I'll have to buttonhole him then in person.

Firedog9345

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Yes, I did a search that is why I started this post! Anyway, unfortunately I will have to work next Saturday. Are GTG the only way to get a Rocketchip these days? I emailed Jeff, with no reply so I'll ask you guys: Do you have to send the ECU to Jeff or can I just take out the existing chip and replace with new one. THanks again, Happy New Year!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
The Passat should be socketed but you might want to just send him the ECU.
Another option is driving to him in PA if you have the time.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Most 97 Passat TDI ECU's are Socketed and it takes about 10 minutes to replace the Chips
Did you try Iming him sometimes that works.......

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
tomo366 said:
Most 97 Passat TDI ECU's are Socketed .......
But some aren't. Look inside your's to see if it is. If you don't see two sockets with chips in them, then you are one of those that have soldered chips.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Do the B4s take the same chips as the A3s? I have an RC2 that I'm looking to sell. (No I'm not unhappy, just upgraded to an RC2/3 :)).

Didn't the B4s have an ECM change over?

EGR deleted. RC2. Takes 10 minutes to change, 20 with the beer.
-
"There was once a Tuner so popular no one ever went to him" has a bit of truth. Jeff's a busy man. Your best bet is to look for a GTG that Jeff comes to.

Firedog9345

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Well I checked out my ECU today to see if it was socketed or not. I see the 2 chips in the lower left hand corner. It doen't look like they are soldered. Do you need a special tool to remove them? Jeff did email me today so I'm trying to find out if I have to mail him the ECU or not.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Firedog9345 said:
Well I checked out my ECU today to see if it was socketed or not. I see the 2 chips in the lower left hand corner. It doen't look like they are soldered. Do you need a special tool to remove them? Jeff did email me today so I'm trying to find out if I have to mail him the ECU or not.
They shouldn't be soldered. You can get them out with a small screwdriver or a chip puller.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just be very careful in removing the chips - cracking the holder will cause all sorts of grief.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
What I don't understand is why Jeff doesn't get a secretary or something. Sheesh!

I have a couple questions I'd like to ask him about my ECU/tune, but I haven't even bothered to try because I know it's futile.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
mrchaotica said:
What I don't understand is why Jeff doesn't get a secretary or something. Sheesh!
If I had enough business to keep me busy and enough money to pay for all my toys and set my own clock and schedule, I don't see why I'd want to pay someone else to try and increase business by a marginal amount.

Say you make $1000 a week. If you hire a secretary you have to be sure than $$Salary<$$new income.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
darkscout said:
If I had enough business to keep me busy and enough money to pay for all my toys and set my own clock and schedule, I don't see why I'd want to pay someone else to try and increase business by a marginal amount.

Say you make $1000 a week. If you hire a secretary you have to be sure than $$Salary<$$new income.
I have a business, and once had employees. It's not just the increased cost, it's also the increased time required to manage even one employee (got to have payroll deposits/forms on time, need to make sure OSHA is happy, etc etc). Not worth it unless there's a large increase in business available due to the hire, and generally the business would then start owning the "owner".

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
darkscout said:
Do the B4s take the same chips as the A3s?
The 96 B4, (BK, or GQ), No.
The 97 B4, (FA) maybe the same as the 97 A3 (ED), maybe not.
I've heard that the 98+ A3 (JB) can be substituted for the ED, but again, the cross-species intermix is unknown.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
No need to update the website when you have more work than you know what to do with. :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
darkscout said:

I have had my own engineering consulting business for over 10 years. I work alone ( I also have a contract professional at times) and service business and industrial clients all over the U.S. I can't and don't want to, miss a customer call so I have an answering service that takes my calls and forwards me text of the messages. I can't believe how much business that service has gotten me, let alone provided me with the ability to respond to customers on a very timely basis. The cost is $250/month (no employees) and is a business deduction.

If you are in business today and don't provide top notch customer service (and that includes responding to calls and e-mails) the chances are you will be out of business (or won't be able to grow your business) in short time.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
mrchaotica said:
I have a couple questions I'd like to ask him about my ECU/tune, but I haven't even bothered to try because I know it's futile.
If you had Jeff tune your car, then you should have his cell number... I believe he replies to existing customers promptly...

Yuri.

fastasaturtle

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2001 Jetta, 2006 NB
He just did mine yesterday, boy I guess I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.=D
He and Oliver took very good care of me and I'm extremely pleased with the result. I had the Rocketchip mod done in conjunction with a Sprint 520 nozzle upgrade.
I had the auto tranny swapped out with a 5 speed a few weeks ago and with all of the afore mentioned mods combined, my car is now awesome (purely in my humble opinion)! I cannot even begin to describe the contrast between the before (stock w/ auto tranny) and after. If you're listening, thanks a million guys! (Jimmy, Oliver, and Jeff)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
fastasaturtle said:
He just did mine yesterday, boy I guess I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.=D
He and Oliver took very good care of me and I'm extremely pleased with the result. I had the Rocketchip mod done in conjunction with a Sprint 520 nozzle upgrade.
I had the auto tranny swapped out with a 5 speed a few weeks ago and with all of the afore mentioned mods combined, my car is now awesome (purely in my humble opinion)! I cannot even begin to describe the contrast between the before (stock w/ auto tranny) and after. If you're listening, thanks a million guys! (Jimmy, Oliver, and Jeff)
Awesome! Sounds like you have your car just the way you want it... for now. ;) The mod bug bites hard!

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
ymz said:
If you had Jeff tune your car, then you should have his cell number... I believe he replies to existing customers promptly...
Oh, I assumed the number he gave me was a regular public one.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Never assume that someone's number is public unless they specifically say so. :)

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
FWIW, related to the A3/B4 question, the chips are absolutely not interchangeable. At least, according to Upsolute they aren't. Or weren't. But I wouldn't put it past someone to figure out how to make it work.

fastasaturtle

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2001 Jetta, 2006 NB
VeeDubTDI said:
Awesome! Sounds like you have your car just the way you want it... for now. ;) The mod bug bites hard!
Yes it does. I thought I could resist, but alas the flesh was weak. Thanks for the encouraging words too.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
Thats great that he has so much business-but to have a website/email address that is rarely updated/responded to is just poor.........How is someone supposed to track him down that doesn't know about Fred's or already have his phone number........if I do a search on the internet-and get a web address then send an email with no response........I move on as do most people.......