FS: 2001 Golf TDI 2dr 272,000 miles $4500 OBO

crzyjt

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI
This is a feeler thread to see what interest there may be in my car. I haven't been on tdiclub much in recent years so not sure how popular the ALH motor still is. Post or send me some PM's if you want more info. The car is located in Colorado, part of the time in Glenwood Springs and part of the time in Denver. The car needs to be thoroughly cleaned and detailed and I took the photos after a quick wash on a cold day in the mountains, so they aren't the best, but they should give a general idea of the condition of the car.

I have a 2001 Golf TDI 2-door manual transmission with 272,000 miles for sale. $4500 OBO. It is in fair condition. I have had the car since the spring of 2012 at about 195,000 miles and have maintained the car myself with regular oil changes approximately every 10k with kits from either IDParts or Kerma. Other maintenance I have done as needed. The engine runs very strong and has had several upgrades which I will list below followed by current issues/needs for the car. It gets 45+mpg on the highway, and with a little moderate driving could get near or better than 50mpg. This is a GL model with crank windows and manual side mirror adjusters. Vag-COM USB, Metalnerd timing belt tools, a crate of parts including all/most of the stock parts, a set of H&R lowering springs I never installed, an ebay dongle I used to pull the shop code to reprogram some keys at one point all included. Currently the bottom seat cushions are in storage as I have been driving it with the rear seats folded down for more cargo space, but they are included as well. I'll have to pull out all my parts and accessories at some point to get a complete list of stuff. I have the Carfax report which shows no accidents or any other concerns.

Upgrades/Maintenance:
-VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo from Kerma installed ~195,000 miles after the original turbo blew shortly after my purchase
-PP764 Nozzles from Kerma
-3Bar Map sensor
-Kerma Tune with QLoader
-Kerma OMI intake pipe
-upgraded 2.25" upper intercooler pipe
-1.8T pancake lower intercooler pipe
-Dieselgeek Race Pipe and EGR Cooler Delete
-Timing belt changed ~195,000 miles with Kerma 100k kit
-42Draft in dash oil pressure, intake pressure, and EGT gauges installed above radio
-Smoked side marker/bumper lights
-337/20AE pedal set
-Vacuum reservoir ball delete
-16" steel wheels with 2 brand new Dunlop Wintersport 4D front tires and 2 1yr old Wintersport 4D rear tires
-Replaced parking brake cables ~1yr ago
-Replaced glow plugs and glow plug harness ~1yr ago
-Replaced MAF at time of turbo replacement
-Monster mats
-full size 16" spare

Problems/Needs:
-A/C does not work - I think it may be the compressor. I haven't had a chance to look into it but the serpentine belt started squeaking about the same time it stopped blowing cold air, so I suspect the pulley is not turning properly, but it may be something else. I've tested the A/C refrigerant with the over the counter refrigerant tester, and it has tested fine IIRC.
-Accessory belt squeaks - may be the A/C pulley, old belt, or the tensioner
-Timing belt needs done within 20k miles or so - I am planning on doing the high mileage Kerma kit if I get to it before selling it - although if I get to it, I may decide not to sell it
-Interior is a little rough - some stains on seats, ripped left side of driver seat back, I redid the cloth on the door panels in an acceptable manner but it's not amazing, center console around armrest is gone to replace with the newer version with the cup holders but haven't got around to ordering the part, shift knob and boot are a little rough, most of the wear is typical for a 16 yr old car
-Exterior is ok, roof paint is faded, a couple dime to quarter size rust spots on hood, normal amount of scuffing of the rest of the paint
-Slow oil leak which I suspect is the rear main seal behind the clutch, usually need to add a quart every 5-10k miles
-Engine bay is pretty dirty likely due to oil vapors from recirc system where I made a short "elephant" hose to try and improve the routing from the PVC puck and the OMI
-keyless locks do not work and the alarm gets a little funky if not locked in the correct sequence. You have to open the passenger side by pulling the inside handle and lock the passenger door wit the button on the door. Locking/unlocking the driver's door is done with the key in the door lock. I replaced the door lock mechanisms in the doors but it didn't solve the problem unless I got a defective unit(s), might be a computer module.
I think that covers most of it. Ask me questions. I wish I had the time/money/energy to overhaul the cosmetic stuff and tweak the performance, but I don't. I also would like to get something AWD and automatic so my wife can drive it if need be. I really like this car and will miss it when it's gone.

I posted a bunch of photos in my user album. Here's the link:
2001 Golf TDI 2dr for sale

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Personally, I feel it's priced way too high given the condition (cosmetic and mechanical) along with the known defects (door lock mechanisms, tattered interior, needs A/C work, needs timing belt, etc). Most older ALH's with near 300 K miles have sold here for 50% less or were not reported as sold.

Put some pictures up and see what happens.

Good luck!

Last edited:

crzyjt

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Yeah, totally open to offers. I know the 2 door TDi is pretty hard to come by and my previous Jetta TDi sold for more than I expected so I threw out a number that I know is on the high side. I also am including tools, upgraded parts, etc. and it will look a bit better after a proper detail and clean. I also am not totally set on selling it and won't sell it unless I can get a reasonable amount for it. Pics are in my user gallery linked at the end of the post.

Personally, I feel it's priced way too high given the condition (cosmetic and mechanical) along with the known defects (door lock mechanisms, tattered interior, needs A/C work, needs timing belt, etc). Most older ALH's with near 300 K miles have sold here for 50% less or were not reported as sold.

Put some pictures up and see what happens.

Good luck!

crzyjt

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Nice. That one is super clean and unusually low miles. Mine will look a lot better with a good detail and a few tweaks, plus I've got an upgraded turbo, injectors, tune, tools, parts, etc. I'm open to offers for someone looking for a reliable ALH. I'm crazy busy for the next few weeks with paramedic school. If I don't get any interest in its current state, I'll get it fixed up a bit in January and repost.

2001 Golf 2dr, 5spd with only 118k miles for under $5k

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/vw-golf-2001-tdi-low-118k/6414961712.html

Not a GLS. No sunroof. Hand crank windows.