Maybe 109..... need symptoms

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 1996 Metallic Green
Hi all,

I had an interesting event happen today. I was pulling out into an intersection and had just shifted into 2nd when the car died. I had enough momentum to coast to the shoulder but when ever I tried to start the car I got no response. After sitting for a minute, the car cranked over but had an extremely rough idle that was rough as I reved it also. After about 3 minutes the idle smoothed out and the car ran fine. I am weary about taking the car any distance from where I live now. Does this sound like anybody else's Relay 109 experience? Should I go and buy one now since I still have the original Relay 109 in the car since 1996. All thoughts welcome.

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
These are all good points, but after this incident the car ran like normal. It is like it never happened.

The car has ran perfectly since I got it in 96, this was the first incident like this ever. Another reason I suspect Relay 109 is that after the engine cut out its possible that when the electronics came back online, the sensors were out of position and the ECU need time to recalibrate.
That is why I would like to know other peoples symptoms for 109.

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
I believe my experience is typical(from what I've read here). Engine quits suddenly. When you turn ignition switch off and back on, CEL & GP lamps DON'T illuminate. After about the third try, the CEL & GP lamps come on and the car starts normally. I don't recall any rough-running after such an episode.

Check your fuse block. If your Relay 109 has a black case, replace it anyway. Don't depend on a visual inspection. My old Relay 109 is on my desk and internally, it looks like a new one. These relays pass a lot of power - the bad ones heat up and that results in the failure.

Your experience sounds more like mine when I ran fuel low and pickup came "unported" in a turn. Car stalled and was difficult to restart - ran rough for a few seconds after it restarted.

Patrick

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
I already called the stealership nearby, the new 109 is $19.60, so I will be picking it up after work and installing it. I will let everyon know if the problem comes back.

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I bought the new grey relay 109 last night and installed it. The car ran so now I will wait and see if it cuts out on me again. If it does I will have the ignition switch fixed under warranty. Thanks for the help everyone.

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
Here were my experiences and symptoms.
Clicky, clicky.

After the ignition switch was replaced, the engine cut out once. For the last month and a half all was fine.
Except for this morning.....
While driving up the northbound span of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the motor cut off for a split second than came back on. A second later, she died and stayed that way for a good 5-8 seconds.
This never happened before.
The bridge has no shoulders and it was heavily congested. I was doing about 70 mph, put on the 4-ways and tried to restart it but it didn't want to go.

After what seemed like an eternity, I let out the clutch and she re-fired. I did not want to break down on that bridge again! /images/graemlins/eek.gif
A faulty fuel gauge in a borrowed truck left me stranded mid span a year back and I did not want to relive that. I lost abour 5 years off my life trying to avoid getting rammed into by other cars as I clung to the railing several hundred feet above the delaware river /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

So I have a new vesion and an original relay that this has happened with. Along with a new ignition switch. Looks like I will be buying another relay today.... (Man I hope that this is it)

TheMadcap

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds a lot more like what happened to me. I wasn't able to restart right away either. I am crossing my fingers that the new relay will fix the problem. So far since replacing the relay, I haven't had any problems. It's great to have these forums cause otherwise I would not have known what was happening.