www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 22nd, 2020, 15:37   #1
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Default //// Accidentally left "Hocky Puck" open .. Problems? ////

Hi,

Was replacing a headlight today and doing a general look see under the hood and to my horror / surprise the hocky puck PCV unit on top of the valve cover was accidentally left open (the lid was luckily still sitting in . on the engine .... amazing considering the car has been driven a few thousand miles in the meantime.

Anyways, what horrible things could happen as a result of that ?

Engine seems fine .... not really a lot if oil under the hood but I did have to wipe around the area a bit to clean up residual oil from I guess oil vapors ....

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew
Old February 22nd, 2020, 16:33   #2
jmodge
Veteran Member

One horrible thing that comes to mind is that oil could get on the road. The issue with that would be that when you have a light rain at night, nightcrawlers are on the road in the morning. Birds swoop down and eat the contaminated night crawlers causing at the least indigestion and at worst cancer .
Old February 23rd, 2020, 01:53   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

It's a breather. 2 way street but 99.99% of the time when it's running its pushing oil mist out and boy does it stink bad. Surprised you didnt know sooner from the odd smell. Probably fine on the engine side but the other side of that goes into the turbo so it's like driving with no air filter.
If your paranoid about it. Take the turbo inlet boot off and snap a close up of the fins edges and do an oil change. Not much else you can do really. Probably fine. Don't listen to that hippy, oil is good for animals on the road. It's got electrolytes!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2020, 03:33   #4
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Don't worry about it. A couple years ago my son drove out from Western MA to get his oil changed on his '02. For some reason he left it at my office and I drove it home. Sounded funny. Lifted the hood when I got home, no oil cap. He'd forgotten to put it back on after the last add. Car was fine. Little mist on the hood insulation, that's it.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 06:50   #5
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
Don't listen to that hippy, oil is good for animals on the road. It's got electrolytes!
You already seem to have no problem letting it all hang out, so if you just grow your hair out, you could be a hippie also
Old February 23rd, 2020, 12:01   #6
k0wtz

TDI(s): 1998

I like oil!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2020, 11:53   #7
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies...

There was practically no mess under the hood so I mainly just wiped the cap off and screwed it back on (I checked it tioday and it was loose again so maybe I didn't forget to put it on , maybe I put it on too loose....

Anyways I put it on tighter and will check it again after a few days of driving.

Interestingly, I used to like the smell of a fresh rotella change (that was using dino variey on my cummins that had a road draft tube) .... I did not smell anything from my TDI when the hocky puck cover came off ... maybe synthetic doesn't smell or maybe the engine belly pan and skirts kees smells contained well for the brief amounts I am sitting still (I am usually moving in the TDI whereas my truck used to be a stop lights for awhile so that was why I could smell it) .... OR maybe just getting old and the old nose is just not as sensitive!

The unfiltered air into the turbo concerns me a little but for the most part I am strictly driving on paved dust free ( well at least not gravel or dirt roads) roads so hopefully she didn't ingest too much dirt / dust in the time the cap was off.

(FWIW - I drove my girlfriends 1996 Geo Prism and forgot to put the oil cap on after topping it off and man was it a mess .... oil literally dripping off the hood radiator etc ..... I guess in that car oil was literally splashing out in small drops.... it took me 3 cans of engine degreaser to get all the oil compartment (after soaking up the puddles with paper towels .... it only took me 150 miles to see the car literally dripping when I stopped .... wow).

Andrew