alh not starting after turbo swap

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
I have taken my turbo out and replaced 5 times ( same turbo vanes kept sticking) finally found the problem and corrected it but, now it won't start. It turns over no problem just won't start. I believe it is fuel related because when I opened the 3 injector line at the injector and no fuel comes out while cranking. The car has been showing no problems and had been running great. I have done this job so many times and never a problem with starting. All hoses and vacuum lines are good no fuel leaks anywhere and injection pump is new. What gives? I read the voltage at the fuel sending unit and get about 5 volts constant whether the ignition is on and while cranking, no change in voltage. Is this a problem?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
The fuel sending unit, or the fuel solenoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There's no fuel pump in your fuel sender (the injection pump does all the work), so if you really are measuring at the sender you're just reading the sensor voltage and it will not be related to your no-start.

Have you tried priming the IP by applying vacuum to the return port? By "new pump" do you mean you just installed it?

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
I just went out side and checked my relay 53, I swapped with another one and after about 6 seconds of cranking the engine it starts to spit and sputter and after 8 seconds it really starts to sputter then quits. I didn't touch anything related to the fuel system when I did the turbo swap. I'm dumbfounded!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Shot in the dark: Crank speed sensor wires get banged up during your turbo work?
And what about Vince's question about your injection pump?

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
I primed the Ip cranked it for a while then it started up and the turbo works great. Thanks Vince Waldon. Still don’t know how it happened.