starting issue

Demickm

TDI
2013 VW sport wagon TDI, and 2003 VW Wagon TDI
Hi, I have a 2013 vw jetta sportwagen tdi and couldn't start it today. When I cranked it over it actually stopped cranking as if the battery died. I removed the battery and put it on the charger but took the battery off of my 2003 VW TDI and on to my 2013. Upon attaching the power terminals there was a lot of sparking and I thought that I heard my starter crank over. I immediately took them off. Does this sound like a bad starter? What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Is the starter difficult to get to and remove?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Could just be the big wire to the starter is loose. When swapping battery, always take off the ground terminal first and install it last. Otherwise you will get spark if anything is on. Now if it was serious big sparky, could be the starter is stuck engaged. Maybe hit it with a hammer?

Demickm

TDI
2013 VW sport wagon TDI, and 2003 VW Wagon TDI
I don't know what the problem ever was. I just kept the original battery on the charger and after it reached 100%, reinstalled it. Cranked it a few times and it started rough but smoothed out. For the last 3 weeks, I have no issues. Starts like a champ and runs nicely. The battery and alternator tested good.