Coilovers Vs. Lowering Springs (and Intake questions?)

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Let me preface this post with this: I have never lowered a car before.
Given that, please excuse any mistakes I may make when typing this out or any obvious oversights in the parts I've picked out to be potentially put on my car.

I want to lower my car. Not slammed, but enough to make it look a little more agressive. Essentially I've seen two routes: coils and lowering springs.

I'm aware coils are a very expensive route. I talked to the nice folks over at KermaTDI where I got my tune, and they stock these: https://kermatdi.com/i-2613-solo-we...html#!year=2015||make=VOLKSWAGEN||model=JETTA
SoloWerks S1 Coil set. Front, Rear, Springs, struts and all for only $500???
Sounds like a good deal to me. They seem to have gotten good reviews from the few things I could find on the internet about them for jettas. Most everyone who bought them has a GTI as far as I can tell, which is a completely different kit than the one above.

The other route that sounds better (at least to my wallet) is H&R sport springs here: https://www.urotuning.com/products/...35SjKo1scT6ZS8J4vQLywTmgaNZqtc_UaAhdVEALw_wcB

Essentially the decisions boils down to a few important points, to which I come to the community to vouch for/denounce either of these routes.

-Are these coils any good? $500 seems very cheap as most other sets are well above 1000. I'm worried that they may not hold up in the long run.

-These coils are going to completely change the ride and handling of the car, hopefully for the better. I feel My factory rear suspension is a bit worn or perhaps undersprung from the factory, as I sometimes scrape my factory mudflaps going over simple bumps such as railroad tracks even at normal speeds. Are these coils going to be stiff enough that I could keep mudflaps or would they need to come off?

-I've heard very good things about these springs, but I've also heard they can be detrimental for ride quality. I do road trip my car roughly once every couple months so if these are going to make the car unbearable for more than an hour at a time, I don't want to buy them. Also, will using these springs with otherwise factory suspension cause excessive wear on the remaining factory parts?

Finally, can anyone recommend an intake for a 2015 tdi that produces some nice turbo sound? Power would be nice too, but being that I don't have an exhaust delete I don't think I stand to gain much power at all via an intake, so this upgrade is mostly for my own enjoyment of some nice spooling sounds.

Thanks in advance for reading all of that and sharing your experience with these modifications or similar alternatives.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd skip the intake and get the springs. The H&R sport springs are quite firm. Personally, I like the firmness- but many feel they a bit firmer than they would have liked. The Eibach and Drivers Gear springs will firm things up more moderately while still reducing the wallowy-ness of OE immensely.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I’m on my 3rd VW, all dropped with “sport” springs for a 1 1/2” drop, had a cheepie German weitec kit on my mk4 GTI, came with coils and shocks/struts for $350 and really liked it. My mk6 Passat had HR sports with KYB all around and that setup felt kinda bouncy hitting holes and dips at freeway speeds, not sure if it was the dampers or maybe extra weight of the Passat. Now I drive a mk6 JSW again with HR but with bilsteins in the rear and Gabriel up front, much less bouncy than the Passat and handles like a go kart. All 3 setups handled great with the GTI more firm/harsh, the GTI also had a rear sway bar and front/rear strut supports that really tightened things up.
For a minimal drop I would go with the spring setup but if you want to slam it then the coil overs, for that price I’d be tempted to go with the coil overs and set them for a mild drop, my current setup ran me $400. I’m turning 50 this year so slamming any vehicle to the ground is out of the question

JwTDI212

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
That’s great advice, and the price is surely something to consider. At $225 for springs vs $500 for a brand new setup all around it might just be worth it to spend the extra money.
However, if I can save money I would like to. Do you know if using these springs on factory struts/shocks will damage the factory suspension parts? If so, I’ll definitely be going with the coils as the factory suspension already has over 50k on it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Cheap coilovers won't last half as long as a good set of springs.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Cheap coilovers won't last half as long as a good set of springs.
^^^this. If you drive a lot coilovers are not your friend, especially not $500 coilovers. I can maybe be convinced if we were talking Ohlins or similar coilovers, but that's a significant investment.

NOZR1

TDI
2013 VW JSW TDI
^^^this. If you drive a lot coilovers are not your friend, especially not $500 coilovers. I can maybe be convinced if we were talking Ohlins or similar coilovers, but that's a significant investment.
Any opinion on the BC Racing coilovers? My 13 jsw is a daily, so looking for something that will last but not break the bank.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Any opinion on the BC Racing coilovers? My 13 jsw is a daily, so looking for something that will last but not break the bank.
I do! I run BCs on my e30 BMW. It's about as high quality as chinese coilovers get. They are too stiff imo for a daily (my daily typically sees 20-30k miles/yr), but a nice package if set-up correctly. If you want BC, order through FCP euro with the lifetime warranty, they really can't be beat. Otherwise, I am a fan of Eibach prokit spings and koni yellows, but they wont run overly cheap.

NOZR1

TDI
2013 VW JSW TDI
I do! I run BCs on my e30 BMW. It's about as high quality as chinese coilovers get. They are too stiff imo for a daily (my daily typically sees 20-30k miles/yr), but a nice package if set-up correctly. If you want BC, order through FCP euro with the lifetime warranty, they really can't be beat. Otherwise, I am a fan of Eibach prokit spings and koni yellows, but they wont run overly cheap.
Cool thanks!