Control arm bushing(s) diameter for press?

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
My 97 Jetta has been showing signs that the control arm bushings are going bad, they were changed once before a few years ago and the car was exhibiting the same symptoms then once replaced it was fine again. What is happening is when letting off the throttle the steering will go a little slack and the car will pull to the left, then get back on the throttle and the car goes right and steering gets tight again.

I intend to change the rear bushing with either poly or the TT bushing and want to know what diameter I need to look for when buying a press kit. There are some more basic ones that only come with like 4 different cup sizes and I don't want to buy one then find out I don't have the correct size.

Anyone know what sizes or specific kit to look for to press out / in both the front and rear bushings on the control arms?

Thanks.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
When I did the ones on my car, I just used a hammer and punch to drive out the old ones and drive the new ones in. I used the Prothane bushings after doing the rubber ones twice...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
best for these is some threaded rod, some nuts, large washers, and some PVC pipe. buy your bushings (preferably poly) take them to home depot and have some pipe or pipe fittings that are best. PUT LOTS OF silicone grease on both parts and go at it. also put the grease on the threaded rod as well so you dont gack the threads.

costs about $5 maybe $8 bucks vs buying a tool. you can rent one but then by the time you find out it does not do the job then.....
i got one of those C clamp versions for this job and it worked KINDA. i would rather use the though thread version vs external clamp. if i had a hydraulic press i would love my life.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
best for these is some threaded rod, some nuts, large washers, and some PVC pipe. buy your bushings (preferably poly) take them to home depot and have some pipe or pipe fittings that are best. PUT LOTS OF silicone grease on both parts and go at it. also put the grease on the threaded rod as well so you dont gack the threads.

costs about $5 maybe $8 bucks vs buying a tool. you can rent one but then by the time you find out it does not do the job then.....
i got one of those C clamp versions for this job and it worked KINDA. i would rather use the though thread version vs external clamp. if i had a hydraulic press i would love my life.
Yeah that was going to be option 2. Thanks for the input, have you personally used poly bushings? I've read some posts where people claim the bind and make popping / clunking noises. I'd much rather do poly and not worry about it again but I wouldn't be a fan of those kidna noises on the daily.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
When I did the ones on my car, I just used a hammer and punch to drive out the old ones and drive the new ones in. I used the Prothane bushings after doing the rubber ones twice...

Any popping or clunking kinda noises with poly control arm bushings? I heard some mixed reviews, id rather do it once and done but TT bushings will be preferable to bushing noises on the daily.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Any popping or clunking kinda noises with poly control arm bushings? I heard some mixed reviews, id rather do it once and done but TT bushings will be preferable to bushing noises on the daily.
I didn't have any issues, no popping or clunking. I think I had them on for 10k miles before I sold the car.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I installed TT bushings on the front control arm rear position, 38k miles no problems, no noises. I would rather have some give, that's why I used them over poly.

The OE front bushing for forward control arm position is fine.

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yeah that was going to be option 2. Thanks for the input, have you personally used poly bushings? I've read some posts where people claim the bind and make popping / clunking noises. I'd much rather do poly and not worry about it again but I wouldn't be a fan of those kidna noises on the daily.
yes, i replaced every rubber component with prothane red set
Complete Suspension Bushing Kit

i have heard 0 squeaks creaks mones and clunks as so many claim to have. the trick i believe is COVERING both surfaces with way to much silicone grease.

between that and my bilsteins, its an amazing ride.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
yes, i replaced every rubber component with prothane red set
Complete Suspension Bushing Kit

i have heard 0 squeaks creaks mones and clunks as so many claim to have. the trick i believe is COVERING both surfaces with way to much silicone grease.

between that and my bilsteins, its an amazing ride.
ok I will make sure to lube the crap out of them if I end up going poly. One more question I had was about the nut that the front horizontal bushing goes though. Apparently it can be an issue where it breaks free of the spot welds and just spins inside the crossmember, did you run into this issue? I guess my best bet is to try to hose it down with pb blaster to help the bolt come out with breaking the nut off aswell.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
When it comes to press arbors, I typically use the old part to press the new part in. Just kiss the OD with a grinder to ensure it’s a bit smaller than the new part.

Been doing this for years with motor mounts, bearings, etc..

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no issue with that, my advice is to chase the threads with a tap and make sure they are clean. ive heard of such mess but its only a few times and VW made millions of these cars so... odds are your fine.

OH, one more thing. with my set, i had an issue with the rear strut cup washer that sits on top. its cupped and i have to use a flat washer as there was just not enough threads. it might have been my bilsteins but that's what i had to do. i wish they made poly for the front strut bearing but the HD's from GAP i have are awesome.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When it comes to press arbors, I typically use the old part to press the new part in. Just kiss the OD with a grinder to ensure it’s a bit smaller than the new part.

Been doing this for years with motor mounts, bearings, etc..

-Todd
thats a really good idea.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
So, it must be control rm bushing week!
I decided to drive my passat a bit more aggressively around a closed course and apparently ripped out my lower control arm bushings. They car now feels unsafe to drive... and, DAMMIT, but I have to leave tonight at 1:30am on a 600 mile trip.

Can anyone quickly help me with the TT/ R32 bushing part number, or at least help me with the correct year range so I can try to swap mine out this afternoon?

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
So, it must be control rm bushing week!
I decided to drive my passat a bit more aggressively around a closed course and apparently ripped out my lower control arm bushings. They car now feels unsafe to drive... and, DAMMIT, but I have to leave tonight at 1:30am on a 600 mile trip.

Can anyone quickly help me with the TT/ R32 bushing part number, or at least help me with the correct year range so I can try to swap mine out this afternoon?
idparts lists the part number as 8N0407181B(they advise using Lemforder brand). First gen audi tt was produced from 1998-2006 so that should be your year range

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
idparts lists the part number as 8N0407181B(they advise using Lemforder brand). First gen audi tt was produced from 1998-2006 so that should be your year range
Thank you so much!
After all that fun non of my local parts sources has instant access to the upgraded bushing, but one did have the correct one for my '96 Passat -- and it will arrive at their shop in a few hours.
I got my both sides disassembled, and it all should be pretty easy to reassemble.

It's kind of ironic it would fail just as I am about to leave on an long, unexpected work trip. But I sure am thankful it looks like I'll be able to sort it out -- thanks for your help!

EDIT:
the parts guy somehow was able to get a last minute 2nd parts delivery today, and received a pair of the more desirable solid "TT" bushings.
Here are some pics -- the new TT-style bushings' inner shaft's inside diamater were smaller than the ones that came out of my car -- 13mm ID vs 17 mm ID, but the smaller ones seem to be a better fit. The bolt has an OD of about 12mm (I didn't measure it, but it looks like about 1mm or 2mm free play inside the bushing.) I am not 100% sure of the manufacturer for these bushings I got, but they came from WorldPac -- the OEM supplier around here. Also worthy of note is that the "Passat OEM" bushing comes with a sleeve insert to reduce the Inside Diameter for the busing...

When I pulled my old ones out both were completely degraded and separated; the control arms wobbled freely by hand. Normally I would have expected this sort of thing to fail slowly, getting worse over time... but these both seemed to go out completely, at the same time (after some extra aggressive cornering...). They must have been super old, a bit worn, then I maybe ripped them out? Who knows?! But the car definitely feels significantly better now!

here's the old one, part number 191 407 181E

Here's the new one, "TT style," part number 8N0407181B

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks! Actually I am working in North Texas this time =) But, YES! I am always happy to break at home.
I doubt your original bushings were ever replaced, only VW people tend to replace this sort of thing, all the JY cars I've seen have had original bushings in them.

Steve