www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 9th, 2020, 06:21   #31
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
They used to have photo cameras in our area but they got rid of them because too many people were pissed with them and tickets ....

My girlfriend was among the last few to get a photo ticket before they removed it.... I think that made her doubly pissed !

I suppose if you go through the trouble of cannonballing maybe remote controlled flip down plates (I saw a you tube on one cool idea ...push button before toll booth / photo toll).... or putting the plate inside a deep frame (visible from straight behind but somewhat obscured form any other angle other than straight on viewing)
They did away with the ones in NC because they were unconstitutional. The proceeds from the camera fines were supposed to go to the local schools. Since traffic violations are considered a criminal activity, those dollars can't help buy a book for the first grade class.
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:03   #32
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Driving cross country with 1400 lbs of fuel stuffed into the passenger compartment @ 120+ mph can only end one way. Good luck Kowalski!
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:17   #33
abishoff
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Driving cross country with 1400 lbs of fuel stuffed into the passenger compartment @ 120+ mph can only end one way. Good luck Kowalski!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abishoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 08:28   #34
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Interesting Thread...

A couple of comments for what they may be worth.

Fourth gear in my Vanagon with the ALH is very similar to 4th gear in my 2003 Jetta. At about 3050 RPMs the Van is running about 70 MPH (Tach, Speedometer, ScanGuage and GPS verified). I'm not sure what 3050 RPMs would equate to in the Jetta, prolly close to 85 mph. Anyway, I've driven the Vanagon pulling a popup camper with four people and stuff on board all day cruising at 70-75 with no issues...... averages about 26 MPG (does 32-34 without the camper).

In 1996, we drove from Chamberlain, South Dakota to my home exit off I-75 in Kentucky in 21 hours........ 1245 miles. I was driving an 83 Vanagon with the air-cool 2.0 engine and four adults and stuff on board. I'd stop only long enough to fuel up and hit the restroom.......... averaged just under 59 mph. That was the longest miles in one haul I ever done. I do remember driving to Oklahoma City in 1980 with my 1980 VW Diesel Rabbit...... seems that was 915 miles, but it took a very long time as there were a lot of pee stops (something like 17 hours or more).
Old January 9th, 2020, 08:44   #35
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishoff View Post
I would be ok with adding the AirLift 1000? Bags into the springs to support the extra weight of fuel. I would guess holding speed near 110 and with a tunes designed to maximize fuel efficiency Id get 22mpg maybe 25.
Somebody didn't read my previous post.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 09:23   #36
jmodge
Veteran Member

I would love to see you this fold out on YouTube
Old January 21st, 2020, 22:06   #37
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
I would love to see you this fold out on YouTube
Actually I had some thoughts on doing that after a friend pointed out it may be interesting to actually do a build up
With an actual run in mind ....

Of course it would be a more sane run than an actual winning time run....

I had done a few YouTube videos in the past but it's been a while since I've done it I guess I'll have to try to relearn how to upload things...

I'll post a few random thoughts in the next post...

I had actually a rather long reply but I had to switch over to take a phone call and then everything disappeared because I failed to send it .... ugh....

Anyways given that I have a little free time tonight since I'm not driving I'll post a little more of my thoughts in this thread ....
Old January 21st, 2020, 22:17   #38
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
After reviewing / re reading some of the posts here it seems as though the fuel mileage I've been figuring for top speed is quite a lot better than I would have originally thought ..

Given that , and the fact that trying to put all the fuel needed to do the run with one tank would grossly exceed the gvwr of the vehicle ( especially after adding in the weight of three occupants unless we could find three anorexic dwarfs or midgets to Pilot the vehicle ) , I more or less have resigned myself to thinking the car needs to hold 80 gallons a fuel and would have to be refueled one time.

To that end I mocked up a 60 gallon fuel tank...22 inch diameter x 33 inches long ....

You know I never really thought of a Jetta station wagon as being a really small car but when you try to put a 60 gallon fuel tank inside space gets eaten up really quickly.

My original thought was to somehow shoehorn the tank in and have the third person ( the spotter) ride on top of the fuel tank like riding a horse but unfortunately there's not enough Headroom for that...

For weight distribution purposes I believe the tank needs to fit directly behind the passenger and driver seat side to side and centered .... I thought about putting the fuel tank behind the passenger rear seat but that's an awful lot of weight far to the rear of the vehicle...

Anyways for less than 29 hours I figure the spotter can grin and bear it .... probably ride mostly with elbows on tank and head propped on top of hands crouched over the fuel tank .... I'm beginning to think a dwarf or midget would be an essential person in light of space and weight
Constraints ...

The veggie oil people actually have a 10 gallon tank that fits inside where the spare tire goes.

Factory tank holds roughly 14 gallons so altogether the fuel capacity for a vehicle would be 84 gallons Tip-Top full or a relatively conservative 80 gallons.

With that one refueling stop would be necessary to do the entire run or some method would have to be devised to fuel on the go airplane Style....

So now we're down to about 70 gallons of fuel inside the car (only about 490 lbs of fuel)....pretty safe now huh?
;-)

Last edited by Andyinchville1; January 21st, 2020 at 22:30.
Andyinchville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 22:45   #39
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

In a previous post in this thread I mentioned maybe doing a sane run not necessarily a winning time run .... cannonballing

I'm wondering if a challenging run ( more challenging perhaps??) would be a run involving speed AND fuel economy ....

In power washing , the cleaning ability of a power washer is often determined by the number of cleaning units..... i.e.

Gallons per hour x pressure = effective cleaning units...

I'm wondering if there could be some sort of race (?) challenge carwise along those similar lines...

Maybe something like :

fuel economy ( in mpg) X average speed = race number

Therefore a winning car doesn't have to do extremely crazy speeds in order to win because it's also factoring in
Fuel economy into the equation....

The car with the highest overall race number ( or we can call it something else my brain just couldn't think of anything interesting to call it this late at night) wins...

Maybe we can kind of call it and Eco challenge run because it's not all about brute speed .. fuel economy would matter too.

With that in mind , I'm going to try to figure out or read how many gallons of fuel the winning car used because I think I read somewhere they averaged 103 miles per hour .... with that and knowing how many miles they ran , we can figure out we can figure out what their race number would be....

Ok looked up some info...

Winning distance travelled
2825 miles, they had 60 gallon fuel cap and made 4 stops ( I'll assume they filled it up full each time and ran until nearly empty because I don't I know exactly how many gallons they used ( I could not find that info yet)

So 2825 / 240 is 11.77 mpg

11.77 mpg x 103 mph avg = 1212.386 race number

Would that be "easy" to beat with much better fuel mileage and lower avg speed?.... lower average speed would make it somewhat safer theoretically....

Actually without too much thought it would be relatively easy to beat...

40 mpg x 60 mph = 2400

Hmmmmmm

Last edited by Andyinchville1; January 21st, 2020 at 23:45. Reason: Added stuff ....
Andyinchville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 23:09   #40
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

That sounds kinda boring. I think it would be better to do a timed race where all vehicles are allocated x amount of fuel. There could be compensation factor to account for the greater energy density of diesel(by volume). Maybe allot enough fuel to require an avg. of 35 mpg or something like that. There could be different brackets too- 25 mpg, 35 mpg, 45 mpg....

Last edited by turbobrick240; January 21st, 2020 at 23:19.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 23:53   #41
abishoff
Veteran Member

Can you do some sort of T-shape for the rear and not have a spare tire and then somehow fold or remove the one side of the rear seat. You should have room for one rear passenger. And as I mentioned regarding the weight in the back, put in some airbags in the rear springs to hold the weight. Shoot Id be interested in trying this in my Passat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abishoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 00:13   #42
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

I put 900 pounds of tools in my 2003 Jetta wagon and drive many miles, putting that much fuel in it would not bother me. I do have airlift bags in the rear springs.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 05:28   #43
jmodge
Veteran Member

Pull the rear seats, make a custom tank. Spotter can lay on the tank, give him/her a couple blocks of cheese to help hold things together
Old January 27th, 2020, 10:41   #44
BeetlePD
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Beetle 2005

I did the math with a Tesla one time: Is a cross country journey faster to drive slow & recharge less often (every 300 miles)...... or drive fast & recharge every 150 miles?

I found it was faster to drive fast, even though it meant more stops at superchargers. IMHO the same would be true with Gasoline versus diesel, where the faster-moving gas car would have the advantage, even with more frequent stops

BeetlePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:09   #45
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Without any real details this means absolutely nothing.