Which harmonic balancer

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OEM replacment. There is not much in the way of upgraded parts for this. If you find some. Post them please.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's worth noting that if your current one is wobbling there's a very good chance the underlying issue is not the harmonic damper but a worn interface between the crank and the crank sprocket, which the harmonic damper bolts to. :) :)

Even with the crank bolt very tight wear can still develop, and if not addressed eventually engine damage can result.

If memory serves there's another thread on the forum at the moment by someone with the exact same issue, BTW.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think I have the Febi replacement but there's also one by Vaico too I think. Both seem to have been made in Turkey IIRC.

40k miles on the Febi without a problem.

Steve

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I think I got a vaico on mine. Do NOT get a Vaico. Mine was completely machined wrong and wouldn’t allow the next pulley to settle on it without significant dremel action. Works fine now though.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just whatever you do, put some blue thread locker on the bolts and torque them down properly and come back after 500 miles and check them. We just had another thread where the bolts sheared off and the balancer was lost on the road. happend to me too.