www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old January 19th, 2020, 17:38   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Many have had issues with the tank and associated hardware it comes with. Heater and level sensors and such. Should replace the whole thing under warranty with a new unit. My car was brand new and has already had the tank and hardware replaced under warranty. Threw a code. You should have it scanned with VCDS and if there is a code showing it should be replaced completely.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 05:13   #17
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

2015 Q7, bought new Feb 2019. Post fix problems required two visits to dealers in early days, no issues throughout summer and next 18k. Once it got cold, new problems surfaced, and from what I am told, result of work done during "fix" (now THERE's an oxymoron!!!) they think disturbed a harness under the center console/shifter that is somehow not allowing the park lock to release when colder than -25C or so, thus they are replacing the entire shift quadrant (pretty sure it only needs the right lubricant in the pivot point of the release lever driven by the N110 solenoid).
4L='15 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 13:24   #18
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyKMfor1Tank View Post
2013 Passat owner here, have had it less than 3 weeks. Already problems, Adblue warning won't reset even though the tank is right full. Had it to be already once, said the concentration may have been off and suggested I use their adblue instead of the Walmart brand I had put in. Wasn't even a few days before the engine light came back on, and now I have 50 km to no start. Not terribly happy, but hopefully whatever the problem is, it's covered by the VW warranty.
I've had that issue with our T'reg TDI. Did you ever figure out why it isn't recognizing the AdBlue refill? It's bunk that it's not VW blessed piss. Mine went into lockout to start as I was on the way to the airport and had to fly out. It was towed to a VW dlr in Vegas who got the code cleared and it started, but they had no idea why it didn't recognize refilling the urea tank. TIA for any hints.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 09:54   #19
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
I've had that issue with our T'reg TDI. Did you ever figure out why it isn't recognizing the AdBlue refill? It's bunk that it's not VW blessed piss. Mine went into lockout to start as I was on the way to the airport and had to fly out. It was towed to a VW dlr in Vegas who got the code cleared and it started, but they had no idea why it didn't recognize refilling the urea tank. TIA for any hints.
Had a customer buy a used 3.0TDI with this concern. Spent couple months with Tech Line and reading arcane MVB in the computer, replace countless parts. Finally came to the conclusion that there was a glitch during the software update before it was sold. ECM would not release the warning, even though we could reset the distance to empty to 3600 miles. Eventually replaced the ECM and updated the new ECM to force it to reset.

BTW - Initial warning to add DEF will clear if you add DEF. After a while the warning is more dire and will require scan tool to reset. Also, depending on the engine and software, the ECM will require seeing a SCR regen before clearing the light. Thank EPA for this garbage.

Jason
Old January 31st, 2020, 08:21   #20
Joe Romas
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1 mpg bringing it home
Default Very happy with my JSW

My JSW had 13k miles when I got it in October and it's at 17k now and running fine. Only problem I have is the backup camera is dim compared to the one on my 2017 GMC.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 17:52   #21
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
BTW - Initial warning to add DEF will clear if you add DEF. After a while the warning is more dire and will require scan tool to reset. Also, depending on the engine and software, the ECM will require seeing a SCR regen before clearing the light. Jason
Thanks, but the problem is that it did NOT recognize my adding DEF and still locked me out. Hell, when the first message came up, I tried to add a 2.5 gal bottle which was more than it had used, so it was spilling all over the inside wheel well. I'm not asking about the lockout, but if others have had problems with not recognizing DEF had been added so I DO NOT get locked out again. I tow, so usage is quite variable and often insanely high.

TIA.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Old February 3rd, 2020, 07:43   #22
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

@mike - yeah, that's usually a sign the AdBlue heater failed. Glad they put an extended warranty on all of those things. When we do the AEM, Touaregs and Passats usually have a service action to replace the AdBlue heater.

Jason
Old February 5th, 2020, 08:39   #23
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I think the adblue heater failed in many TREGs including my2012. So far the 2016 is ok,but only has 11,000 miles. So far I can go 10,000 miles with no warning to add adblue. It is a mystery as to why normal use should not go oil change to oil change. If you are towing a ton of the mileage then it will be different.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2020, 23:12   #24
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
I think the adblue heater failed in many TREGs including my2012. So far the 2016 is ok,but only has 11,000 miles. So far I can go 10,000 miles with no warning to fill adblue. It is a mystery as to why normal use should not go oil change to oil change. If you are towing a ton of the mileage then it will be different.
I'm towing two and a half tons. So yeah, it drinks DEF. If the AdBlue heater is not functioning correctly, is there something I can see on OBDEleven to indicate that so I can take it in to get fixed?
Old February 10th, 2020, 07:44   #25
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The issue, as I was told, was AdBlue contaminating the sensor probes in the tank module. Apparently the heater and level probes are built together, and both will corrode or be damaged by AdBlue.

Not sure exactly what to look for in measured values? Maybe heater circuit?

Jason
Old February 15th, 2020, 14:56   #26
JSH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soot1 View Post
You probably know that there are a lot of parts on your TDI that are completely absent from your gasser VWs - HPFP, turbo (except the GLI), urea tank, urea heater, urea injector, DPF, vacuum pump (X GLI), NOX trap, etc, etc. Originally, some of those extra parts were designed with the cheating software in mind, i.e. they were designed to withstand only occasional use, but not continuous loading, as they should have been designed. The mandated fix then attempted to rectify this situation, but the jury is still out on the results. It is a totally different scenario when a design team is tasked with designing a new engine and its emission system for a vehicle that will go into production at some point in the future (the team has the freedom to make as many iterations as it sees fit), than when that same team has to make design changes to vehicles that are already on the road.

As I said earlier - the results are by no means unanimous. Some people are very unhappy with their post-fix cars, some are only partially happy, and some report no noticeable changes in the behavior of their fixed car. However, one unquestionable fact about the Dieselgate is that only a small fraction of all TDI owners opted to have their vehicles fixed and continue driving them. The rest of us were lured by VW to give them up. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my personal motivation was twofold - besides the financial benefit, I also considered the huge unknown of what will the vehicle be like if I have it fixed, and pretty much everyone knew even before the repairs began that either the fuel economy, or the performance, or the reliability, or any combination thereof, would be impacted negatively.
That was my concern as well but $14,000 for a $28,000 MSRP car with 33,000 miles and a 120K mile warranty was enough to get me to bite.

We had a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI that we had for 10 years / 245,000 miles and loved. This 2014 is a nice car but the mileage is pretty poor at 37 mpg. After 1 1/2 years I am starting to question my decision.
JSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 15:03   #27
calimustang
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH1 View Post
That was my concern as well but $14,000 for a $28,000 MSRP car with 33,000 miles and a 120K mile warranty was enough to get me to bite.

We had a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI that we had for 10 years / 245,000 miles and loved. This 2014 is a nice car but the mileage is pretty poor at 37 mpg. After 1 1/2 years I am starting to question my decision.

You are better off deleting and tune it... MPG will go up big time. Those emission fixes is what kills the power a bit and MPG hurts quite a bit. It depends on your emission testing state or not.

I did it 6 months after buying my buy back CPO 2014 JSW and never regret it.

I did the same to my old 2011 JSW that was rear-ended later on with almost 300k miles. So here I am with 2014 JSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2020, 07:20   #28
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Having driven a "fixed" Beetle and getting 50+ MPG, I can say it's a lot about driving style and conditions. City MPG was noticeably worse after the fix, but highway actually was about same if not slightly better.

Oh, and from what all our customers have been saying, MPG is much more affected by a lead foot after the fix than before.

Jason