www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Eastern USA

Eastern USA Local discussions for those in the Eastern USA. (Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Washington, DC. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia)

Old January 7th, 2010, 16:46   #16
ninedee_golf_tdi

Some threads just never go away.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:52   #17
prothe

TDI(s): 99 Golf

Yes, I'm still selling parts. I see this post started in 2008 and a lot of parts have been shipped in the last 2 years. If anyone has a question about my company's reputation, go to the Charlotte Better Business Bureau and look up "Rothenbacher Engineering". I have an A+ rating there, and have been a member since April 09. I am also prothe on ebay with a feedback rating of 99.1%.

Starting in April of 09 I bought a 99 Jetta TDI to test all rebuilt TDI injector pumps on. That way, I know that the pump is working properly and not throwing any codes.
prothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:15   #18
ninedee_golf_tdi

The quality of your company isn't a concern, it's the quality of some of the parts you sell and how you handle the issue of defective pieces after the sale that is in question. I'm curious as to exactly what you do when you rebuild a pump, and with what equipment do you do it with ? Thanks for responding.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:43   #19
brucebanes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 99.B
Fuel Economy: 48 MPG

Don't do it I got a $400 turbo
a couple years back from them lasted a whole month. The replacement console lasted 2 months. Nothing but junk and the owner is an as-hole.
brucebanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:48   #20
brucebanes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 99.B
Fuel Economy: 48 MPG

You are a scumbag Prothe. You cheated me out of $500.-

Send me a refund check for $500.- and an apology if your not a scumbag.

You change your name every 2 weeks. If you were a stand-up man you could have the same name and not be forced to change it.
brucebanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 18:57   #21
Pcar993
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebanes
You are a scumbag Prothe. You cheated me out of $500.-

Send me a refund check for $500.- and an apology if your not a scumbag.

You change your name every 2 weeks. If you were a stand-up man you could have the same name and not be forced to change it.
Ouch! I was just about to buy an ALH camshaft for $55 from one of his many websites.
Pcar993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:38   #22
TDIDaveNH
Left Lane Coal Roller at Large

Default Ahhhh, World Famous 'Prothe' - My TDI hero!

Or, as I like to refer to his company among TDI friends as, Dooshenbacher Poopgineering.

Nothing but cheap ****-
A TDI acquaintance of mine near Hartford, CT purchased a set of ALH head bolts from him and during the torquing sequence, two of the heads of the bolts snapped right off- Awesome! I Love it.- Ha, ha good one Prothe, that was clever!!!!!

I myeslf a set of purchased rear coil springs for a 99 Beetle- when they got here, they weren't even close to fitting- I later researched and found they fit a Passat. I ended up putting in used originals from a salvage yard. The return process was a pain in the ass- I had to prove to the mother f*cker his springs did not fit and send him photos and measurements of what I had and what he had sent me. Long story short, after a month of e-mail tag I got most of my money back, ate the shipping to send back the springs, urged him to update his website but that never got done. Dooshbag.

In addition to which, I bough a couple $9 fuel filters for a 91 Jetta and had an air leak which was perplexing and time consuming to track down- the solution- a $36 Bosch filter from a local foreign only independent shop fixed the problem- the F*cking Prothe specials sucked air through the folded metal seem where the body of the filter meets the barbed lid.

Recently heard from a trusted TDI mechanic near me while he was clearing a CEL for me on a 99 NB that Prothe is basically only good for parts that do not involve precision machining or moving parts- I got a good laugh from that as I was thinking the same & told him I have learned that the only thing that he sells that he can't f*** up are those copper injector washers.

Also I am embarrassed to admit this here, but I also bought 3 ALH injectors from him at $60 each which seem to work but I don't like them and it takes almost no imagination to see into their future. they are "ZY" brand or as I like to call them, "Johnny Wang" specials whenever people ask what I have for injectors. We both get a chuckle when I explain. These are soon to be converted into kick-down door stops by adding a rubber boot on the business end and hinging the threaded line end. Right now a cinder block is what I use to hold doors open.

I did also buy a VNT actuator from him, so in all fairness I'll withhold my laughter until I have a chance to let it fail, however it does lack precision machined parts, so it MIGHT be alright- we'll see.

Buying hamburgers at McDonald's is a relatively cheap prospect, but once you factor in triple bypass surgery, the cost goes way TF up!

Short on money, but have lots of aggravation to spare? Prothe is your man- All hail the mighty Prothe!!!, fearless leader of Dooshenbacher Poopgineering.

Hope my little rant can save someone the Bullsh*t

Live & Learn- prothe style suckas!

Last edited by TDIDaveNH; March 14th, 2010 at 11:49.
TDIDaveNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 16:22   #23
no-blue-screen
TDI Nut

TDI(s): TDI

LMFAO....I am so glad I subscribed to this thread. If it sounds too good to be true...99.999% of the time it usually is.
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:55   #24
meetis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG avg

Thank you for the info. Wish i could say i frequent the board i tend to visit only when i have questions. I bought a MAF from them but i think i will be staying clear of any parts that have the potential of causing major damadge if they break.
On the bright side the MAF is working so far both days it has been in the car.
Shine suspension
meetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 13:03   #25
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIDaveNH
I have learned that the only thing that he sells that he can't f*** up are those copper injector washers.
Careful, there...

There was a thread up here a couple of years ago concerning out-of-spec injector sealing washers... So there's potential for badly-fitted parts there as well...

Y.
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:37   #26
prothe

TDI(s): 99 Golf

ninedee_golf_tdi: The quality of a company is the quality of their parts. I still have an A+ rating with the BBB, and over 99% feedback on ebay. If my parts were as bad as posters here think, I wouldn't have those ratings. I sell some of the most thoroughly tested injector pumps in the world. I am one of the only people to test the pumps an Original Bosch Injector Pump Test Bench, and then I install the TDI pumps on a 99 Jetta TDI to test run them on a real car. All of my TDI pumps are tested in this way.

brucebanes: I sell over 100 turbos per month. If the quality of my turbos is as bad as you say, I would have gotten out of the business a long time ago. Further, I HAVE NEVER CHANGED MY NAME. I am still prothe. I am still emiata, though that is being phased out, because I want emiata to be my Miata and BMW convertible window website, but there is still a link to dieselvw.com there. DieselVW.com is still my best website. My contact information is the same at the bottom of all of my websites.

Pcar993: I have never had a single compaint with any of my camshafts.

TDIDaveNH: I sell about 1000 fuel filters per year. Very, very few of them come back. I use them on my own engines. The head bolts are one of my most popular selling items. I did switch suppliers for them late last year.
prothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:50   #27
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg
Thumbs down

i will give you credit for showing up here, but shouldn't you become a registered vendor in the impossibly unlikely chance that someone would ever purchase as much as a washer from you

http://www.tdiclub.com/Disclaimer/TDIClubVendor.pdf

Last edited by bluesmoker; May 5th, 2010 at 06:59.
bluesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:52   #28
validius
Lacking in ZDDP

TDI(s): 1997 GTI TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothe
-bunch of bullsh*t-

TDIDaveNH: I sell about 1000 fuel filters per year. Very, very few of them come back. I use them on my own engines. The head bolts are one of my most popular selling items. I did switch suppliers for them late last year.
You talk about how good your products are and yet everyone who buys them find them to be utter crap. Would you like to clam that every person on this forum is a moron or do you expect us to believe that somehow every part sent to a TDIClub member is defective and everything else you sell is perfect?

You love your 99% ebay rating and BBB rating so much, i think that perhaps we can do something about that.
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:18   #29
Franko6

Peter Rothenbacher,

I should thank you... because of you, my client base is larger... by repairing engines after your parts destroyed them.

If you really want to talk about your products, maybe we could start with some names of some of your ex-customers. It's certainly not an isolated incident... I've got plenty of them.

How about Chad Lowery in GA, who bought TWO of your CRAP PD timing belt kits. The first blew up in a few miles and he blamed himself. Rebuilt the head, reinstalled it with MORE of YOUR CRAP! BLEW IT UP AGAIN!! The belt fell apart 2x! So what if you did give him a 'free' second TB kit. You could probably give him 5 kits before you were losing money on your boatload of junk.

I built Chad's head and supplied the QUALITY PARTS... it's still running and doing FINE!.

Perhaps you have forgotten your BBB meeting to resolve the issue With Mr. Lowery. You did have to reimburse him, didn't you? So, don't come around here bragging up your wonderful ratings selling CHINESE Replacement Auto Parts (CRAP) around here...

Also, that BBB, for anybody that doesn't know any better, is a little 'badge of honor' for retailers, which give customers a false impression that the company they are doing business with is somehow accredited or has been through some screening or certification. It's not. BBB charges a membership and dues. When someone complains, which the percentage is so low as to be minuscule, they do arbitration. If 1/2% actually take the time and trouble to arbitrate, I'd be amazed.

You want to make yourself a bonified member of the TDIClub??

Here is what you can do. Register as a Vendor. Then open up a thread, "Complaints against Prothe, Miata,... oh, heck, why don't you list ALL YOUR ALIASES...how many is it now? 20?.. 25?

Set up a reimbursement fund for those who have been hung out to dry by all your CRAP! Then you can spend your time fielding all the responses.
417-232-4634
Franko6tdi@gmail.com

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 16:44   #30
Junior Whitefish

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

I've bought a new turbo from proethe. I put it in my car before finding out it was sucking air between the turbo and manifold. It cost me lots of $$$ to have it uninstalled and a good one installed. Plus Paypal screwed me over by not allowing me enough time to send it back to the seller for a refund. Lesson learned: Pay the extra for OEM.
Heat exchanger
Junior Whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote