Mk5 1.9 white smoke

Toncha

TDI
Vw 1.9
Hi there, i have a stock mk5 1.9 that blows white smoke i have already changed the turbo and the fuel injektors i hava taken it to some shops but cant seem to find the problem that causin the smoke , it does not lose oil or whater so we are guessing that its not heas gasket wondering if you can help , feel free to ask any questions. Thank you

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Does it blow white smoke all the time?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yes when engine warms up to a normal temperature starts blowing
Sounds like coolant being burned. I'd say either head gasket or EGR cooler. Have you done a test for exhaust gasses in the coolant? It could be slow enough that is not noticable in the coolant level. Also, is there pressure in the coolant system? My Passat had a leaking EGR cooler which had the same symptoms. I'd recommend testing things before just replacing them though.
Other possibility could be low compression, but that would show up upon start-up and get better once it warmed up.
Are there any codes?
Improper injection timing could also cause white smoke, but that again would probably show up at start-up. As would aerated fuel.

Toncha

TDI
Vw 1.9
Does this mean i should lose coolant if its the head gasket or the EGR cooler (i havent noticed any coolant losses) , no i havent done a test for exhaust gasses in the coolant because where I live I can't any test kit in the stores, in the shop where I have it right now they told me it may be the vacuum pump, so I'm waiting for their response.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Does this mean i should lose coolant if its the head gasket or the EGR cooler (i havent noticed any coolant losses) , no i havent done a test for exhaust gasses in the coolant because where I live I can't any test kit in the stores, in the shop where I have it right now they told me it may be the vacuum pump, so I'm waiting for their response.
It would loose some coolant. But it may not be noticable right away. Sounds like you need a new mechanic though. A vacuum pump on this car wouldn't cause white smoke. They sound like some of our local mechanic shops which like to throw parts at a problem to try to fix it, but in fact are just draining the customers Bank account.
I see you're in Europe, which area? I'd recommend doing some searching for a better mechanic first.
Do you know if there are any codes? Or does the mechanic have vag-com?

Toncha

TDI
Vw 1.9
I do indeed im in desperate need of a new mechanic, I have searched for someone with good reviews and I have been to the best i can find, but I dont know what's the deal either they dont have the knowledge or they don't have time. Yes it shows a code for an engine heater/piston heaters (I dont know the right term) but that doesn't have to do with the smoke (yes they do have vag-com) for the bank account part I have noticed that but I don't know what to do I dont have the knowledge to fix it my self so it's my only option so yes, that's why I am looking for help here even if I had taken my car to now the 4th mechanic. I'm in the Balkan part of Europe, north Macedonia to be exact. Thank you for your time.
Edit: the mechanic now told me it mixes diesel with oil.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
So, I would guess that their problem is that they don't have the knowledge... If there was fuel and oil mixing in the vacuum pump, it would be fuel getting into the oil, since it's a fuel pump and vacuum pump combined. It's not good if fuel is getting into the oil, but that wouldn't cause the white smoke. I think your mechanic is grasping at straws.

Let me get some tests together for him to perform.

Mozambiquer

TDI
What year is your car? Do you know which engine code it has?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Is it hard to start? Or does it start well.

Toncha

TDI
Vw 1.9
Yes it starts and runs well everything looks ok except the smoke, it's a 2007 no I don't know the exact code all I know is what they told me it is , it's interesting now I took from the mechanic since he doesn't know what to do I drove it in the highway and it stopped smoking.

Last edited:

Toncha

TDI
Vw 1.9
Update i got it hands on and i opened and cleaned myself the EGR cooler, and it stopped smoking so the EGR cooler was the problem but now it smells like diesel I guess I can't define the smell, do I have any idea what that could be. And thank you so much MOZAMBIQUER you have been a huge help thank you.

Sline140

TDI
Audi A4 2.0 tdi Sline
White Smoke Out Of Rear Tailpipe

Hiya 2 weeks ago i drove down my street only to find lots of white smoke out of rear tailpipe. Also a sort of whining/buzzing sound from engine this sound not noticeable when idling only if applying some acceleration also loss of power in 1st/2nd gears. Popped bonnet up left engine running still white smoke out of tailpipe. My first thought turbo has gone so i ordered a turbo £430 took my old one off and new one on. Did new oil filter and oil change even cleaned out my egr valve was bit dirty but dry ish but all back onto car. Then primed the turbo by cranking engine for oil flow that was fine no oil blockage. But only to find still have white smoke out of tailpipe, lack of power and the same strange sound. Could it be that its the egr cooler i read things that these can cause the white smoke any help be much appreciated its driving me insane was working fantastic before the problem come along.