www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old July 23rd, 2019, 01:25   #1
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Default Engine replacement under CPO warranty?

I'm just curious if anyone's needed an engine replacement under CPO warranty. There are 3 CPOs in our family, but I don't anticipate needing a replacement. However, a friend has a 2015 Jetta, and his plan is to take a center punch to the turbo shaft and then try to get a new head/turbo/maybe engine from the dealer. My TDI guru/mechanic and I agree that he needs to learn the hard way, but with that said, we're wondering if anyone's been fortunate enough to have VW replace the whole motor under warranty without a big hassle...
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2019, 19:50   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Some friend. Kind of hoping to hear he does it and gets turned down completely. I hate people like this.
Old July 29th, 2019, 07:48   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That friend ate a lot of lead paint as a kid, sounds like.

Why would you do this???
Old July 29th, 2019, 12:25   #4
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I think there's a big meth problem in that area. Paul, I'd tell him it's a terrible idea, and he needs to take a long look in the mirror. Neglect is bad enough, sabotage is just downright slimy.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 22:13   #5
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That friend ate a lot of lead paint as a kid, sounds like.
Why would you do this???
Yeah, or something. He's now an ex-friend, having screwed my family out of over $50K, and his own father-in-law of nearly $100K. I think he let his CPO warranty expire, because he was running from the repo man for months, though his wife's bankruptcy put a stop to VW's collection efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I think there's a big meth problem in that area. Paul, I'd tell him it's a terrible idea, and he needs to take a long look in the mirror. Neglect is bad enough, sabotage is just downright slimy.
A long look in the mirror... When he does that, I think it propels him to get slimier and slimier...

On a funny note, he said that a tech at the dealer offered to "hollow out" his DPF for him for $400. I really wish, going back, I told him that's a great idea (neglecting the fact that without the appropriate tune, it would probably burn his car down, or at the very least, his rear bumper cover).
Old February 12th, 2020, 05:54   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think some would say he's contemplating insurance fraud, which is, I believe, a felony. Not sure he'd be prosecuted, but perhaps he should be to help account for past misdeeds.

Regarding the CPO warranty, I know of at least two people who've had engines replaced under that warranty. But they had legitimate failures.
Old February 12th, 2020, 13:46   #7
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I think some would say he's contemplating insurance fraud, which is, I believe, a felony. Not sure he'd be prosecuted, but perhaps he should be to help account for past misdeeds.

Regarding the CPO warranty, I know of at least two people who've had engines replaced under that warranty. But they had legitimate failures.
You never know. He committed insurance fraud here on my property. He brought home some round bales of hay for me, when my F-450 had issues (turns out it had a weak HPOP, not to mention a faulty ICP sensor). Aside from overloading my 20 foot trailer by about 3000 pounds (which got me upset as it is), he had a round bale in the back of his Dodge 2500. Pulled it out from the side instead of rolling it off the back like you're supposed to. Anyways, he bent the bed, and then filed a claim saying that his headache rack/tool box was dragged out of there. Only problem was that his truck bed was full of maggots, rotting food,and trash.

So yes, that's the type of person this was. And yes, he was investigated, both by the state insurance commission, and by his company's SIU. What became of it, I don't know, since we haven't talked in over 6 months.
Old February 12th, 2020, 13:46   #8
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Oh, out of curiosity - were these CJAA motors, or EA288?
Old February 12th, 2020, 14:52   #9
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

One was a CKRA, one was a CJAA. Passat and Sportwagen, if I recall correctly.