www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:32   #31
shizzler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 BEW Wagon
Fuel Economy: mid 40s

Nice! 34 mpg and 205 whp = awesome.

Yeah residual heat is definitely a nice benefit in the winter time. Hotter coolant/oil can heat soak the block and engine bay pretty quickly. Combined with some grill blocks and an intact skid plate + side shrouds sealing off the engine bay, and I find I can retain noticeable warmth even over 6+ hours out in sub-freezing temps.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:55   #32
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

Yesterday's 34mpg tank was also with the A/C running and 95-100 degree ambient temps. I wonder if the cooler weather we eventually will see will net better mpg since the A/C will be off or will the cooler temps cancel out the non A/C operation. I think the engine will run closer to 100C when it cools off. It used to run at 88C with the stock tstat. Interstingly, the Evans coolant allows a much greater variation in running temps than EG/water.

I'm thinking that warmer engine oil and tranny oil are important for reducing fuel use.
Old August 19th, 2010, 17:26   #33
shizzler
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 BEW Wagon
Fuel Economy: mid 40s

Definitely. Warmer oil and coolant = warmer cylinder liner, cylinder head and piston = less heat transfer through them during combustion = better thermal efficiency. I.e. inching closer towards adiabatic operation. The downside is less thermal safety and stability of components, but thankfully OEMs engineer us a nice huge safety factor there. The only thing I fear with hot coolant is piston safety during extended WOT runs.... so far so good.

Of course warmer engine and tranny oil means less friction loss due to lower viscosity, also.

If your operating temps cool off as the weather turns to fall, just block your grills off accordingly! You can control operating temp as desired by altering allowed airflow through the radiator and engine bay.
Old January 21st, 2020, 13:48   #34
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread but is it possible to change through VAGCOM when the cooling fans come on? Instead of messing with t-stats and losing coolant, wouldn't it be much easier to change the programming? just a thought.

BakoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 15:25   #35
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Just fix the thermostat.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 15:26   #36
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
Just fix the thermostat.

True, but if you want your car to run a little warmer, is it out ven possible to change programming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old January 21st, 2020, 15:34   #37
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

I can't remember the last time my cooling fans came on in either of my TDIs, these things just run cool. It's the initial warmup that kills fuel economy so the thermostat is the best solution to replace.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTB2260vklr, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 15:38   #38
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
I can't remember the last time my cooling fans came on in either of my TDIs, these things just run cool. It's the initial warmup that kills fuel economy so the thermostat is the best solution to replace.

I see. Thatís whatís been killing me. My commute is short and with lower temps, engine barely gets to halfway to operating temp. I didnít have an insulating pad on my hood (I just installed insulating matting) and just swapped the thermostat yesterday. Hoping to see a change. Just wondering if it was possible to assist engine by changing any programming. Anyway, hope my changes help some. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old January 21st, 2020, 15:42   #39
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

I changed the thermostat in my '01 after a winter when I noticed my gauge wasn't getting to 190 on the highway. After I replaced, not only did it stay hot, but it warmed up way faster. You should definitely see an improvement if it was an old thermostat. They just get lazy and don't stay closed when they need to.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTB2260vklr, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 16:00   #40
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_594 View Post
A two year followup on this.

I never saw any improvement in fuel economy with the 91 degree thermostat. The only change was that on hotter days when shutting down, the engine would be hot enough to keep the cooling fans on for an additional minute or 2 after shut down.

I'm going to be swapping an 87 degree thermostat back in.
I finally got around to swapping out my lazy thermostat - 2003 Jetta was running at 80C on the highway, now runs at 92C.

Average fuel economy since purchase (May 2009) = 50.66mpg
Average fuel economy for last 10 tanks at 80C = 52.39mpg
Average fuel economy for first 10 tanks at 92C = 50.34mpg

These results may be counterintuitive, but there it is. YMMV.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 560K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2020, 09:47   #41
amit9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2B View Post
I finally got around to swapping out my lazy thermostat - 2003 Jetta was running at 80C on the highway, now runs at 92C.

Average fuel economy since purchase (May 2009) = 50.66mpg
Average fuel economy for last 10 tanks at 80C = 52.39mpg
Average fuel economy for first 10 tanks at 92C = 50.34mpg

These results may be counterintuitive, but there it is. YMMV.

Simon
Simon, those are impressive fuel economy numbers, even with winter fuel on the tanks at 92C! Did the PP520 injectors and/or RC2/3 tune (in your signature) improve your fuel economy?
Any tips to improve my overall 39-40mpg fuel economy? I have tried everything by the book and still can't get any improvement.
Old February 7th, 2020, 15:12   #42
P2B
Veteran Member

Most of my mileage is on the highway in 6th with cruise engaged - very little city or rush hour driving, very few short trips.
Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 560K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote