dumb anti theft radio

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
hi,
where do i get the radio codes? i pulled one from a used car in a junk yard, and now it says "safe". Is there a data base or spread sheet with serial numbers and codes?
thanks

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
A dealer should be able to get the code using the radio's serial number, but since it's not the original radio that came with the car, they'll probably charge you. Here's the back of the radio card from our '01 Golf.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
And when/if you get the radio code (and the instructions on how to enter the code) keep it recorded somewhere because anytime the radio loses power (battery disconnect, fuse, etc) you will need to enter the code again since it's not the original radio to the car.
All the info is in the owner's manual, which is always a good thing to have.
Yes, it's dumb. And it's been hashed over thousands of times..

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
If the dealer is asking to charge a lot, there are eBay sellers who say they can find the code. No experience with them, but for $20 or less it might be worth a shot.
It's an anti-theft thing; an online public database would be golden for thieves.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
No dealers within a two hour drive of here. If we need a radio code due to dead or disconnect of battery and no code, we get one online. They require the car VIN and the radio VIN and charge $20. It takes 24 hours usually and if it doesn't work they will try again after number confirmations and send another. I usually send them pictures of the radio tag and numbers to be sure.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I’ve posted this numerous times and personally I can vouch for them

www.vwcodes.org

You’ll get the code <30 mins
and they are open weekends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I have a radio sitting on my self ready to be tossed. It worked when I took it out to put the Alpine head unit in.

I don't know if the code is on the deck or in the manual. I will have to check.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

www.vwcodes.org

Thanks i had seen this pg. but i didn't want to pay for it unless i had too. i may do this i guess. When I pulled the radio from the car at the yard i thought it'd be easier than this...oh well, i just can't live without my music.

why steal a radio? ugh... people these days. plus it only fits in a 98-03 beetle anyways...

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a radio sitting on my self ready to be tossed. It worked when I took it out to put the Alpine head unit in.

I don't know if the code is on the deck or in the manual. I will have to check.
I have read that they are in the manual. if i knew ahead of time i would'a looked in the car when i pulled it to see if the manual was there.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The radio card was in one of the manual slots when the car was delivered to the original owner. Who knows what has happened to it after 19 years. We still have ours...

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
The radio card was in one of the manual slots when the car was delivered to the original owner. Who knows what has happened to it after 19 years. We still have ours...
The card was still in the manual case when I bought my 2012 last month.
Still not filled in!
(I got the code through the dealer.)
BTW, the 2012 Radio Card says it should be stored in a safe place, and under no circumstances in the vehicle. So not surprising to not find it in a used car, I guess.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Heck my 2000 Beetle has had the battery unhooked / replaced many times and it's never needed a code. Original radio.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
First off - VWAG change the rules on radio code so now we need a car hooked up to scan tool to get the radio code. As always there are work arounds, but generally that means car has to be present to be attached to scan tool.

In the past VWGofA has warned dealers and some hands have been slapped for not using the VIN of the car with the radio serial number. Example - already have VIN in ElsaPro and just put another serial # in, OR keep using the same VIN to look up all radio codes.

I think all '98 to '10 New Beetle radios can be swapped. Main differences are cassette, CD, with/without SDARS.

There is a key cycle procedure on most everything after '99 or '00 (and some before) that re-enables the radio without the code, IN THE SAME CAR NOT FOR SWAPPING. Turn the ignition on, turn the radio on, turn the ignition off and remove the key (radio should shut off), turn ignition on (but don't start the car). Radio will turn on and after a couple second unlock. Keep in mind good battery voltage is a must and if you previously tried unlocking the radio this may not work.

Radio codes are because factory radios are ridiculous $$$ and it helps lower insurance rates. Go look up the OE radio for any brand and see how much they cost. Some Mitsubishi radios were $4000 and $5000.

Jason

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
After 2001 models if your original radio stays in the original car there usually is never a need for the radio code.
Good to know.
When I bought the car and was awaiting delivery, reading online made me think I'd be unhappy with the stock RNS315 radio. I had a plan to sell the 315 online so I needed the code for that.
Once I got the car, the RNS315 seemed to work fine, so I didn't need the code - but I do have it now if I ever need it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
First off - VWAG change the rules on radio code so now we need a car hooked up to scan tool to get the radio code. As always there are work arounds, but generally that means car has to be present to be attached to scan tool.

In the past VWGofA has warned dealers and some hands have been slapped for not using the VIN of the car with the radio serial number. Example - already have VIN in ElsaPro and just put another serial # in, OR keep using the same VIN to look up all radio codes.

I think all '98 to '10 New Beetle radios can be swapped. Main differences are cassette, CD, with/without SDARS.

There is a key cycle procedure on most everything after '99 or '00 (and some before) that re-enables the radio without the code, IN THE SAME CAR NOT FOR SWAPPING. Turn the ignition on, turn the radio on, turn the ignition off and remove the key (radio should shut off), turn ignition on (but don't start the car). Radio will turn on and after a couple second unlock. Keep in mind good battery voltage is a must and if you previously tried unlocking the radio this may not work.

Radio codes are because factory radios are ridiculous $$$ and it helps lower insurance rates. Go look up the OE radio for any brand and see how much they cost. Some Mitsubishi radios were $4000 and $5000.

Jason
for those wondering, and future reference for anyone looking for codes. you have to bring the car to the vw dealer and have the code pulled of the radio with a scanner these days. about $60. my next question to them would be. can i just buy the scanner for $120? apparently VW decided they could make more money this way...idk

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

www.vwcodes.org

used this site. great service, and i got the code in less than 30 min. totally worth the $12. Thanks Mr. Loops!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I can check my manual and give you my code if it will work?
oh, thank you for the offer. just bought the code 2hrs ago. thanks tho!!

Sorry to see your selling your beetle. The car looks amazing!!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
for those wondering, and future reference for anyone looking for codes. you have to bring the car to the vw dealer and have the code pulled of the radio with a scanner these days. about $60. my next question to them would be. can i just buy the scanner for $120? apparently VW decided they could make more money this way...idk
Base "scanner" only:
Professional Diagnostics Laptop Model: VAS6150E Price: $4,435.63 *

Complete "scanner":
Diagnostic System Package Model: VAS6150E/TSP Price: $12,515.15 *

I think it's going to take a little more than $120. Just saying.

Jason

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
oh, thank you for the offer. just bought the code 2hrs ago. thanks tho!!

Sorry to see your selling your beetle. The car looks amazing!!
No Problem, glad you got a code.

Our Beetle needs to move on. It just isn't getting the use that it needs to be happy, with only about 7,000kms in the last 3 years.

We are usually working and using our company vehicles. Our kids can't drive standards! So the other car (GTI with a DSG) gets used all the time.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Base "scanner" only:
Professional Diagnostics Laptop Model: VAS6150E Price: $4,435.63 *

Complete "scanner":
Diagnostic System Package Model: VAS6150E/TSP Price: $12,515.15 *

I think it's going to take a little more than $120. Just saying.

Jason
haha, figured it wasn't cheap, but maybe just a bit outa my price range lol! thanks for the info!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
No Problem, glad you got a code.
Our Beetle needs to move on. It just isn't getting the use that it needs to be happy, with only about 7,000kms in the last 3 years.
We are usually working and using our company vehicles. Our kids can't drive standards! So the other car (GTI with a DSG) gets used all the time.
I hope your able to find a good home for it!! and im sure it's better then letting it sit around with no use.