Heater Core Replacement

CrispySonOfA

TDI
2014 JSW w/ Malone Stage 3
Is there a DIY available anywhere to do the heater core on a 2014 sportwagen??

I got as far as getting my heater core disconnected. But now it seems it hits the airbag that rests under my dash. There is a metal bracket that the airbag bolts to that is in the way. I removed the air vent that was down there and got a little more clearance but I’m not sure where I need to unbolt the metal bracket to get it TF out the way. I got a little frustrated and decided to try and watch a video of the job but I can’t find one for a sportwagen or any vehicle that has the airbag under the dash.

Has anyone done this job that could offer some insight? I figured I could get it myself but decided to walk away for a minute and let my back straighten out. Worst part is the position you need to get in to get into working position. Thanks for the insight!!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
No experience with this job, but by the sounds of it removing the seat might help your ergonomics.

CrispySonOfA

TDI
nobody has done this job on a 2014 or similar sportwagen? I’m having trouble clearing the bracket that holds the airbag. I have removed the airbag and loosened the screws that hold the bracket without taking the dash out but I’m thinking I may have to remove the dash to get the clearance I need to slide the new core in. What a pain!!!!

Last edited:

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I believe that except for the wagon body the procedure should be similar for a MKV Jetta sedan or a MKVI Golf/GTI. I'm thinking more along the lines of MKV Jetta because the 2010+ Sportwagen is nothing more than a cosmetically refreshed MKV.

CrispySonOfA

TDI
thank you for the insight, I was able to unbolt the supporting frame for the airbag and swing it out of the way and get the new heater core slid into place. I luckily had a swivel 1/2 inch drive on a long extension, I was able to snake under the steering wheel and loosen two hidden torx bolts that were holding the bracket to another metal support under the dash. Now I have to get the collars onto the new heater core which is also not easy in the tight space. Next time I think I would get some quotes for someone else to do the job because it’s pretty frustrating. Ive called it every name in the book and it still didn’t give up.

All the videos I’ve seen show the heater core with two long pipes coming off from it. Mine has two ports very close together on it and the hard pipes are in the vehicle. I realize that this car is still pretty new to me and I haven’t worked on a ton of jettas in the past so I’m learning a whole new beast as I go along. I am going to get at it tomorrow morning.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You loosened the pipes at the firewall, right? I think you do have to remove the knee bag on cars so equipped.

Also, some cars have the pipes coming in side by side right at one end, into the "side" if the heater core end tank, some have the pipes going at opposing ends and making a bend into the "end" of the tank. The latter is a bit more of a pain, and some cars also have some plastic linkage for an HVAC door up top that needs to come loose to get clearance to slide the core out.

CrispySonOfA

TDI
I did look at loosening those lines, but I did not in the end because of how crammed it looked in the back near the fire wall. This style heater core can be removed without touching those lines just be ready with a catch can and towels as I believe the airbag module is located directly underneath the heater core.

I finally got it back together. Well the heater core is back in and lines connected. Those collars on the lines where the gaskets are can also be a huge PITA. I would not look forward to doing this job again and In the future I would make much more aggressive attempts at flushing the heater core with an acidic or CLR type solution first. With the 2014 sportwagen you need to unbolt the airbag bracket completely that rests under the drivers dash. It’s super tricky to get out without taking the dash apart but doable. You will need a swivel drive or similar tool to get the angles you need.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So, you decided to not follow the procedure, and fought it. Got it. ;)

Well, for anyone else reading this, if you remove the coolant line clamp at the firewall, it is much easier. And you can blow any remaining coolant back out of the core BEFORE you take the pipes loose inside, minimizing any potential mess inside the car.

CrispySonOfA

TDI
It seemed to me that the reason for taking the lines out of the firewall was for the style of heater core where the hard lines extend off the heater core itself. The heater core style in my car just has flanges and I was able to slide the heater core in place with the lines intact, in fact if I couldn’t push against those lines I would have never been able to get the collars on. I do agree that it makes chances of getting coolant in the interior less but does not simplify installing this style of heater core at all. The core will clear the lines as they sit the problem is getting the airbag and airbag support out of the way without taking the dash apart. I have success and it’s blowing hotter than ever. I appreciate the insight that you all have shared with me.

CrispySonOfA

TDI
To clarify my clearance issue was related to the heater core hitting the metal support bracket for the drivers side footwell airbag. Removing the hard lines would not provide the clearance that I needed to get the heater core to slide into its slot. Essentially the horizontal clearance was less than the videos I watched due to the airbag support bracket. The hard lines can stay in place on 2014 sportwagen and do not need to be disconnected. other styles of heater core and cars without this airbag support bracket it does make sense to disconnect the lines at the firewall as you will gain more clearance that way.

hephaestus

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon
Is there a DIY available anywhere to do the heater core on a 2014 sportwagen??

I got as far as getting my heater core disconnected. But now it seems it hits the airbag that rests under my dash. There is a metal bracket that the airbag bolts to that is in the way. I removed the air vent that was down there and got a little more clearance but I’m not sure where I need to unbolt the metal bracket to get it TF out the way. I got a little frustrated and decided to try and watch a video of the job but I can’t find one for a sportwagen or any vehicle that has the airbag under the dash.

Has anyone done this job that could offer some insight? I figured I could get it myself but decided to walk away for a minute and let my back straighten out. Worst part is the position you need to get in to get into working position. Thanks for the insight!!
Did you have to remove the kick panel under the steering wheel?

aandtstark

TDI
2013 jetta wagon, 2003 jetta wagon alh
Thanks for your post. Your information helped me get mine done. I am curious as to whether you completely undid the air bag bracket of if you were able to pivot it? I ended up completely lossening it up and pushing it back towards the firewall to get it out of the way. Not sure what I did was the easiest but it worked so it is what it is. Thanks again.