Forum Upgrades

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Hi everyone.

Well, I just finished the latest round of upgrades the forums. I believe I have gotten all the custom changes I previously had implemented working again.

Here are the updates:
* Post preview function (check those ubb tags before posting).
* Printer-friendly topic view (formats the pages to look better when printed).
* After a reply or edit, you are now taken to your post in the topic.
* Topic authors may now toggle email notification by editing their post (they may turn it on if off, and off if on).
* And lastly, but probably most noticable is the "Recent Visitors". This function will let you know how many people have been viewing the forums during the last 30 minutes. Also shows you the popularity of different forums. Because this option uses more resources, it is currently only in test mode. Hopefully it won't overload the system. If it does we may need to disable it:(

Please report any problems you encounter.

Thanks,

Fred

S

SkyPup

So far so good, the font size has changed quite a bit smaller, okay for those with bifocals?

Also, the speed of the system seems to have improved somewhat too, that is good.

Thanks for all the hard work keeping things going, today and everyday!

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
So far so good Fred!

Looks great.

Do we need to know who else is browsing? If its a drain on resources, I can do without it.

S

SkyPup

yeah, we could can the "who else is currently online" data.

I would be more interested in the number of views per post.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
So far, so good. Load on the system seems fine. Not a large increase. One I first installed the updated software, the load went through the roof, and worried me. Proably just the caching being rewritten.

As for how many people read things, a partial sollution is seen when you click on the "TDIClub Forums Recent Visitors" link.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Well done, Fred, & thanks as always for your sterling efforts. They are appreciated.

Since webspace is always a constraint, I'm not sure I find the "Who's browsing" feature particularly useful either. It could be dispensed with. It's a bit like revealing who's just broken wind in church!

- Richard

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback. I will fiddle with some of the settings and such. I am also monitoring bandwidth (my main concern). Disk space is actually fine. Purchased a new fast/larger drive a few months ago.

If you DO NOT want to have your name shown, go to "my profile" and at then select "» View/Update Profile « " From the window that opens up there, go to the bottom and slect NO for "Hide from Recent Visitors feature?".

As stated below, Recent Visitors (RV) is still in a trial mode. It is pretty interesting to see how many people browse the forums though.

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Hey Fred, I like the "Who's browsing" feature but might suggest that it just be a link to a page with the list rather than actually listed at the bottom of the page.

(I believe VWVortex has this features and implements it as a list. That way, only those who are interested will see it.)

Thanks!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Fred,
» Today's Active Topics seem to have gone wide screen. I have to scroll to the right to see everything. Is this somehow related to the upgrades? Or is it just me? I didn't notice it earlier this evening.
Everything else is great.
Your work is much appreciated,
thanks for all your efforts to constantly improve the site.

GolfComfort

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV Variant powerdiesel
Originally posted by jayb79:
Fred,
» Today's Active Topics seem to have gone wide screen. I have to scroll to the right to see everything. Is this somehow related to the upgrades? Or is it just me? I didn't notice it earlier this evening.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's Heinz57's huge URL in his post on West Coast Forum.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Sorry for the delay guys, I had connectivity problems at home.

Anyways, the only way to get back to "today's active topics"is by hitting the back button a few times after you post.

As for Recent Visitors, I have pulled that off as it was adding 3-4 times the load. Until we get the server upgraded sometime in the future, I will have to leave this off.