Frostheater installed today!!

MTB

TDI
2001 golf 2dr, 03 1.9TDI engine
So I installed my frostheater today with no real difficulties. After installing it I found that some wires were pretty close to it, I was wondering how hot this thing gets? Should I shield the wires with something?
I have attached some pics of the culprit wires and the install.

here are the pics of the wires I'm concerned about:

As you can see the wires are almost touching the black part, I'm guessing this is the actual heater so I'm worried about those wires.

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
I just put mine in yesterday and thought it seemed very tight to get in there between the cooling fan wires and sway bar etc. It is exactly how the instructions show to put the heater in a jetta and mine is similarly mounted.

MTB

TDI
I'm thinking of just picking up some heat shield tape for the wires.

MTB

TDI
my heat shield tape sucked and now I have melted the wires to the left low beams and the blinker FML, can't win with this car.

TT_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black
Any tips on the installation?

Did you use hose clamps to minimize the fluid loss?

I will be receiving my Frostheater tomorrow and I would like to install it before a long trip to the UP.

I will have 4 hours to complete this installation as well as a oil change (15 minutes, as I have done it before).

Any tips on the install I would appreciate.

MTB

TDI
I used vice grips to clamp one of the hoses. That's all, I'd still keep a bit of coolant around to add after install. other than that the install is very straight forward, you should have plenty of time in 4 hours. Just make sure you drive the car for about 15 min before plugging in the heater to get the coolant circulated through.

TT_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black
great thanks! I figured it seems straight forward, but I have also read some posts where it took the guy 7- hours. We will see.

MTB

TDI
aah, not a chance it would take 7 hours, I'm not mechanically inclined and it took me probably an hour - 1.5