Make/Model: Audi A3
TDI
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 37,777
Diesel Fuel Source: Chevron, Shell, ARCO
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP imploded
Dealer: The Auto Gallery, Audi Woodland Hills, CA
Status: Parts on order and car should be done by Tuesday. Replacing the whole fuel system

380orchid

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Year:2010
Build Date:

Make/Model:
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 106,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Go Gas
Additives: NO
Problem:HPFP failure. Metal in fuel canister. No rust or water in canister.
Dealer: Bob King (Wilmington NC)
Status: Dealer would not cover cost. They called their reginal Service Rep and he agreed to pay just for the fuel pump. VW customer care called an also said that they would only pay for the pump but not the labor and other parts. I will keep eveyone updated.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Year:2010
Build Date:

Make/Model:
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 106,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Go Gas
Additives: NO
Problem:HPFP failure. Metal in fuel canister. No rust or water in canister.
Dealer: Bob King (Wilmington NC)
Status: Dealer would not cover cost. They called their reginal Service Rep and he agreed to pay just for the fuel pump. VW customer care called an also said that they would only pay for the pump but not the labor and other parts. I will keep eveyone updated.
Run it up the chain! That's BS! :mad:

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
380orchid: Gently, but persuasively, point out to them that you are aware that VWoA has been covering ALL COSTS of HPFP failure. Reference the TDIClub.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Report to the NHTSA and open your own case with VWOA, mention to them that you have reported the failure to the NHTSA.

AudiCoop79

TDI
2011 Audi A3 Sportback TDI
Got the car back today. Running like a champ. Replaced everything in regards to the fuel system. Sucks they drained my tank and didn't refill it. Jerks!! But I called and they're going to fill it up this weekend for me.

AudiCoop79

TDI
And guess what?! Same shiz just happened again. Glow plug is lit and my car won't start. Audi said to call audi roadside and have them tow it in. Just got It back last night.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks me too! Although the fuel leaking onto the ground wasn't a good sign. :(

Well see what happens
Actually, a leak is a hopeful sign. the HPFP damage is internal. Perhaps they left a fuel line loose and it just now came off. Keep us posted and good luck.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Year: 2012
Build Date: 07/2011
Make/Model: Audi A3
Mileage: 52,400
Diesel Fuel Source: Kroger
Additives: Powerservice last 1000 miles, homebrew B2 6000-51000
Problem: HPFP failed suddenly on the interstate, car instantly inoperable, flashing glow plug light, no CEL. Filter canister full of metal.
Dealer: Audi of Lexington (KY)
Status: Dealer performed work "under warranty." No out of pocket cost to myself.

Last edited:

AudiCoop79

TDI
Update: doesn't seem to be another hpfp issue. Possibly just the tensioner not being tight enough. Dealer also asked me if I was sure I put diesel in it I assured him I did.

On another note the tow truck driver accidentally did this...to which he is going to fix no questions asked

Stallhorn

TDI
2011 sprotwagen
Year: 2011
Build Date: 08/2010 (need to double check)
Make/Model: JSW TDI
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 64,000
Diesel Fuel Source: Freestate mostly (high volume pump)
Additives: B2 first 20k miles, none after that.
Problem: CEL on; no degradation on power. 1st time, a lot of rust found in the system. They cleaned that out and replaced the in-tank pump. CEL came on again, they replaced the fuel sensor. CEL came on again in two days, they replaced the engine harness. CEL came on in 2 hours and now it is back in the shop.
Dealer: King VW (MD)
Status: In for complete fuel system replacement - Done. Car is back in service, no CEL so far.

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Updated my previous post, dealer says proceed with warranty work outside of warranty period.

Last edited:

Marks2011GolfTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
HPFP mess

Year: 2011
Build Date: 08/2011 (need to double check)
Make/Model: Vw Golf TDI
Mileage:108,000
Diesel Fuel Source: multiple locations
Problem: HPFP failed, all three pumps not working.
Dealer:AutoNation VW of Richardson.
Status: Last convo with dealer at 1pm on 07/10/14. Dealership is working on contacting VW directly to get the pumps, fuel lines, injectors and multiple other parts replaced.

Waiting to find out. Do they cover rental car and towing?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Be sure to report your failure to the NHTSA.

Was metal found in the system?

Did you use a fuel additive?

Marks2011GolfTDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Yes metal found.
No additive used.
added note.....apparently both radiator fans not working. (There are codes showing on that but dealer didn't elaborate)
Dealer did give me a loaner car.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
When you report your failure to the NHTSA, it might also be helpful to open a case with VWOA if this car is your daily driver and you rely on it to get to work, it is not out of the realm of possibility that they will go ahead and cover rental cost for you.

Did you purchase your Golf new?

Crownman

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
2010 VW Gold TDI HPFP scare

First time on this forum so please excuse my lengthly post. I own a 2010 VW TDI Golf Mark VI (6 speed manual) and have approximately 144K on it. Yes I drive a lot (30K) a year. I went to have the timing belt kit replaced not to long ago and also asked the mechanics to try and tell me what the mild clicking coming from the engine was as well. I know all diesels have a bit of a clicking/clacking noise but I knew what I was hearning recently was not normal and NOT there before. These guys came highly recommended but were not a VW dealership. Anyway, they told me that they'd pulled my fuel filter and found metal particulates in it and that the noise was likely my HPFP acting up and that it would most likely fail at some point causing a catostrophic fuel system failure and costling me anywhere from $5-7K in repair costs. They recommended I contact VW of America, which I did and see what (if anything) they could do for me. Long story short, VW dealership said that they found no metal particulates in my fuel system and that even though they didn't know what the clicking was, it WASN'T my HPFP. Let's just say I didn't have the warm and fuzzy feeling from VW but I did at least get their verdict on paper. So, other than being a little worried about the potential HPFP nightmare in the event it does fail, the car runs like a champ. 45 MPG all day long on the highway with no noticeable lags and no stalls. Asked a few mechanics and they told me to start using Kleen Diesel additive. Also looking into an aftermarket fuel system filter from 2 microntech, which is supposed to help isolate any metal particulates from the main fuel system in the event the HPFP does go bad. Anybody out ther using this aftermarket filter system? If so, what's the consensus? I'm up for anything legit that can help me avoid the HPFP nightmare I've read so much about. Tips...suggestions?