trying over here...injection pump problems..

96tdi

TDI
96 Passat, White
well..after I was done *****ing about my $1500 belt tensioner, alternator, etc. job, my mechanic told me that he hears a 'flapping' sound coming from the injection pump. Says he can't see that it's leaking. I've read some threads on here about inj. pumps and was looking for some input. He says it sounds like a car with a bad piston..could it be a leak? clogged injectors? Any help?? I need it..send $$ if you're feeling in the Xmas spirit..

Thanks in advance..
96 TDI..148k...stock.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There are more than a few of these in New England to which a pump sound comparison could be made. Where in MA do you spend time?

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
It's pretty easy, though potentially kinda messy, to tell if you've got a faulty injector. With the car idling and banging away, crack the fuel line feed to each injector (be sure to hold a rag around it so diesel doesn't go anywhere). You'll starve that cylinder of fuel, and if the knocking goes away, you've found your problem child. If you haven't, tighten the feed back up and move to the next cylinder.

I've not had one, but most people who have clogged/faulty injectors describe the sound kinda like yours.

On the plus side, if it is the injectors, you have the perfect excuse to spend a few hundred dollars and get some upgraded nozzles, while sending them off to Greg Landuty to have them professionaly installed and balanced.