www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 15th, 2015, 08:57   #1
Victorjay

TDI(s): 03 VW Jetta
Default timing belt install problem crank moving

Hi all, I'm trying to get my new tb on and having problem with the crank moving. I have the ip pinned and the cam lock in but every time I thread the belt through and install the cam sprocket the flywheel moves two teeth back. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Victorjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:34   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

You need to lock the crank. You can use a special tool or even jamb a screwdriver (or other) in between the crank pulley and the block.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:39   #3
Bert0925
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

Since you dont have a crank lock, some people wedge a screwdriver where the flywheel is to help it from moving a bit.

Once the belt is on even if it did move a bit, no worries, just move the crank by hand after to the mark. Provided the IP and cam sprocket are loose you can move just the crank and not disturb the other 2 since they are locked and its just the sprocket that is moving.

Just make sure that the IP ajustment bolts are somewhat in the middle.

Hope this helps.
Bert0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:41   #4
Victorjay

Thank you, I don't have the crank lock, tried te screwdriver but it moves. Can I loosen the bolts on the ip with the pin in, and correct the flywheel mark, one tooth off now...
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:42   #5
Victorjay

Berto, sounds like a plan
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:45   #6
Bert0925
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

yeh just make sure the cam sprocket is loose too
Bert0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:51   #7
Victorjay

OK looking good, that brought me back to tdc. going to tighten cam sprocket and rotate two turns,Thanks all!
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:15   #8
Victorjay

UPDATE, two turns and we're golden, all locks fit an tdc! Moving on 27 degrees in Baveria
Old February 15th, 2015, 17:38   #9
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Manual shift transmissions can be left in gear. The added load can keep the crank from rotating.
The cam and injection pump are pinned, but the SPROCKETS attached to the cam and pump should be loose (not more than finger tight). If the pump or cam sprockets are causing the crank to move, the sprocket(s) are too tight on the cam or pump shaft.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:34   #10
Victorjay

Ok, I think I should have had the pump bolts loose but didn't until I kept getting the crank movement, I did have it in R but still moved. I took the cam sprocket off to get the belt on so marking did no good. Everything is lined up still,looking good. Rear MM bolt broke today, stretched to much, went to dealer to get new one, didn't get to 44 lbs but not over stretched, other two good. Manifold install tomorrow after work & new GP harness install. Been down three weeks now, maybe rolling by this weekend. Thanks to all, I'll post pics when done...