Should have known better: Dealer botched Timing Belt Job.

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp Manual
About a month ago I got the timing belt replaced on my wife's '06 Jetta TDI by the local dealer. I was looking at a local shop, but logistics were an issue and I needed to get it done, so I took the "easy" route. Seemed to drive fine.

We don't drive it as much as we used to, so the only long trips it takes is once a week to a remote site for my wife's work (~40 miles each way, normal commute is ~5 miles each way city driving). She told me that it was "idling rough" after the engine was fully warmed up. Got it scheduled to go back for them to look at it.

Of course when I scheduled it and dropped it off, I mentioned that it started after they did the timing belt, and they sort of blew it off saying "it could be any number of things". They called us about 3 hours later to get a "better description of the problem".

So imagine my "Shock" when 5 hours of diagnostics later they call me to tell me that the technician didn't do the timing belt right and that it was off "a few degrees" and they wouldn't have time to fix it until today :mad:(Saturday morning appointment).

My main question is: In the month that we've been driving it is there any potential damage that could have been done by having the timing belt off, even though it seemed to run find 90% of the time and only have issues at idle? How far off would the timing belt need to be for me to be concerned about damage to the engine?

I expect to get them to quantify the amount the timing belt was off when I talk to them this afternoon.

Last edited:

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
They are fixing it today, should be done this afternoon. I'm hoping that it was a minor enough error that no damage was done, but need to know what could have been damaged and how to ensure everything is okay.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
After they did the belt, did you hear a ticking sound from the engine? If so, there was valve to piston contact and there is a VG chance you will have a catastrophic valve failure within 5K to 10K miles.

If they didn't get the timing right, what else didn't they do right? A T/B is easy to get right if you use the indexing tools and don't take shortcuts.

What other parts did they replace with the T/B?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Odd are you're not going to get a straight story from the dealer on either the amount the timing was off or whether or not there was any associated damage. They'll probably reset the timing and send you on your way. I would want documentation that they made an error in the job and for them to repair any associated damage free for, say, the next two years.

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
No ticking sound that we noticed. Are the valves something that can be easily inspected? If I were to have an independent shop inspect them, how much would I expect to spend?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Can't really be inspected. If piston to valve contact is suspected, they should be replaced, along with the followers. Head has to come off for that. Not a small job.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Look it is good that they admitted the mistake but not good that they took 5 hours to hook up the diognostic to check the timing. This takes exactly 10 minutes. Looks like they were busy and didn't put anyone on it to the end of the day. Probably as simple as that. If thats the case then no damage done. I doubt its worse than that. A job shop with the tech just trying to max out his pay check for that week and got pretty sloppy. No roll through check. I would demand to see the torsion read out after it is adjusted this time.

Edit: reading the general consensus from above, I might be to optimistic. Did you buy it from this dealer.

Edit: Lets hope luck is on your side. eg. when I had my cam replaced under warranty many years ago, the tech was good but he forgot to adjust the injectors. I just happen to check them last year after I would say 60,000 miles and they only had an 1/8 turn clearance on the adjust nut. Suppost to have 1/2 turn. I was getting good fuel mileage though. didn't seem to cause any damage but only by luck.

Edit: why did I say the tech was good, because I had the timing checked about 2 years after the change out and the torsion timing was smack on.

Last edited:

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
How far off would it have to be to have valve contact? Would that happen with 1 tooth, or would it take more than that?

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
Look it is good that they admitted the mistake but not good that they took 5 hours to hook up the diognostic to check the timing. This takes exactly 10 minutes. Looks like they were busy and didn't put anyone on it to the end of the day. Probably as simple as that. If thats the case then no damage done.
It's been running for about a month with improper timing, probably close to 400 miles.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Just bear in mind that you're running an interference engine in the TDI. A "unholy" union of valve and piston, no matter how minor, means that the head must come off and the damage repaired. (This assuming the engine has been run with failed timing.)

This is why the "mark & pray" method is frowned upon here. For want of a few tools and a bit of time there is the risk. The risk being $1500 or so of head work and this assumes no piston or rod damage.

BRMTDI

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM PD140 Turbo, PD150 Injectors RC2+
What should torsion be at? 0? I know mine previously was at -2 when I bought it, I corrected it to 0.

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got back from the dealer.
Official diagnosis was the cam timing was 3 degrees retarded. They also set the torsion value to 0.0

Thankfully it sounds like the teeth were all in the right spot.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
You can get a lot more than 3 degrees within the same "tooth". There is a lot of adjustment in the cam sprocket so that you the belt is installed correctly but the torsion reads quite a few degrees off.

Actually, you can get a false 0 (happened to me) at the right "tooth" but it is really quite off timing. The car warms up and then the torsion becomes readable, engine tries to compensate, but the result is a rough idle.

I adjusted my BRM and it is still good after around 5k km.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Just got back from the dealer.
Official diagnosis was the cam timing was 3 degrees retarded...
LOL, +\- 2.9 degrees is the limit of what VCDS will show for a BRM like yours. Who knows how far it was actually off.

Typical dealership techs working on TDIs, how cute...

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
HALL VW?

Those guys suck....
I'd be more than happy to get a recommendation of who to take it to in the MKE area.

EVS pissed me off when I was looking to buy my first TDI, Hall's pissed me off now so I'll likely never go back- not just this, but their service department treated me like crap during this whole thing.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That's why Milwaukee people come to Madison...

lmoretti

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, if the injectors don't fall out in the next 30k miles I'll come to you for the next 40k service.

My mom's in Verona, so should be able to make arrangements.