Clutch options for the b5.5

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Pedal is fine, ceramic is pretty close to on/off. Makes it difficult to drive. If I was to do it again, I would go with Kevlar.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
Has anyone tried the Eurospec 124 198 CFS 28 RED clutch/flywheel kit?
Just wondering if it will hold/last any better than the Valeo.
My plan is for a Stage 1.5 Malone tune after the 5speed swap and nothing else power wise.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I don't know if my experience with the Valeo is a one off but I would not recommend it to anyone now. (I did back in April but now after putting the miles on and running it through the torture test it failed) I'm very excited about trying the Clutchmasters FX25 but won't have any hard data evidence for months.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Has anyone tried the Eurospec 124 198 CFS 28 RED clutch/flywheel kit?
Just wondering if it will hold/last any better than the Valeo.
My plan is for a Stage 1.5 Malone tune after the 5speed swap and nothing else power wise.
Mike, you really need to get this sorted out- if you know what I mean.:D

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
Thought I would update this thread with some new findings. I too have the valeo 1.8t clutch kit and it started slipping in the top 2 gears after about 10,000 miles, if pushed too hard. I just received a quote from south bend clutch for a re-line service. After speaking with them I believe this will prove to be a worthy solution for many.

They informed me that they are seeing a lot of these valeo smf conversion clutch kits fail, about 8 out of 10 he said. By having the disc re-lined with their ofe pachage there is a 20% increase in torque holding capacity. If you send the entire clutch assembly in, they can even set it up on their special rig which allows them to tell you with relative accuracy just how much torque your specific clutch will handle.

The ofe package is their Organic/Feramic combo. The feramic/sintered iron lining goes on the flywheel side and the organic goes on the pressure plate side. If sending in your used clutch, you have to send in your pressure plate so they can check it to make sure it is true and they can even resurface your flywheel (big surprise I know) for 35$.

They quoted me $251.45 for the above mentioned services. I feel this is certainly a worthy pursuit if you have a low mileage valeo that is slipping on you atm. Taking a new valeo kit and having this done may not make a lot of sense because at that point you are nearing 600$ invested in a clutch that will handle a stage 2 tune only. If I were doing this all over again, I would spend the extra $300 and go for the fx350 kevlar since it will handle a load of toque, and then some.

On the other hand, if you just need a clutch that can handle your stock output without worry or if you only plan to install a stage 2 tune, $600 for a clutch that is up to the task is a good price!

I will keep you guys updated as I go through this process. I will take many pictures!

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
For a 5 speed swap in a Passat TDI, does it make sense to source a clutch from Europe that is made for a Passat TDI?

Just a few weeks ago I traded emails with Robby Plenge of Meyerhoff Auto (also called "run on beer") in Austin, TX. Robby sources parts from Europe for his Passat TDI swaps.

Last edited:

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
For a 5 speed swap in a Passat TDI, does it make sense to source a clutch from Europe that is made for a Passat TDI?

Just a few weeks ago I traded emails with Robby Plenge of Meyerhoff Auto (also called "run on beer") in Austin, TX. Robby sources parts from Europe for his Passat TDI swaps.
I know Frans provided a clutch with mine when it was shipped but it didn't hold at all. I'm sure there are options overseas but the few I found were very $$$ like 1200 pounds (the currency) before shipping. I've been hearing good things about the clutchmasters setups on here and I'm looking forward to putting mine in. Hey anybody want a 20lb flywheel and a slipping Valeo clutch for cheap? :)

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
I know Frans provided a clutch with mine when it was shipped but it didn't hold at all. I'm sure there are options overseas but the few I found were very $$$ like 1200 pounds (the currency) before shipping. I've been hearing good things about the clutchmasters setups on here and I'm looking forward to putting mine in. Hey anybody want a 20lb flywheel and a slipping Valeo clutch for cheap? :)
PM sent

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/mcglock910/media/imagejpg9_zps91caf928.jpg.html][/URL]
I'm not sure what clutch Frans sent you, I would assume a TDI clutch.
I got the Valeo TDI clutch, flywheel and Pressure Plate from England.
Have about 7k miles and no complaints. This will spin wheels in 2nd gear when you get on it.
A little chatter when you let clutch out but it seems to be fading a bit now.
What kind of torque are you pulling or what setup are you running. No reason the clutch shouldn't hold up to daily driving if its a TDI clutch with matching PP and flywheel.
[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/mcglock910/media/imagejpg1_zpsc03ffb3e.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
I was referring to the stock used 1.9TDI clutch that came with the trans, not a new one. Considering the stock clutch was used and not designed for that much power I wasnt optimistic it would hold.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
South Bend stage 2 clutches fit that set of requirements exactly.
But do they have a b5 specific clutch that offers a single mass flywheel that is heavier than 14lbs?

I haven't seen it! I really think the valeo with better lining from say, south bend, is the answer.

Eurospec has their version of the valeo with the ofe lining but they are asking too much imo. I think it is near 800 after shipping. A new valeo kit runs 350 all day long. Send it straight to south bend and have then reline it for another 200. 550 for a clutch that will hold the power we are asking for is a good price!

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
I think we are all looking for a clutch that will hold 170hp, cost less than $1000 and fit without a spacer or a special europe only starter.
Exactly! Perhaps add the addition of a single mass flywheel that weighs 20 or more pounds...but that may not be everyone.

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
I'm in the planning stages of a 6 speed allroad swap. BHW, GT 17/22 Hybrid, TDI 01E 6 speed. I to am confused about a suitable clutch and FW setup. I thought choosing the 3.89 or 4.11 Final Drive was difficult. This beats that by miles.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
But do they have a b5 specific clutch that offers a single mass flywheel that is heavier than 14lbs?

I haven't seen it! I really think the valeo with better lining from say, south bend, is the answer.

Eurospec has their version of the valeo with the ofe lining but they are asking too much imo. I think it is near 800 after shipping. A new valeo kit runs 350 all day long. Send it straight to south bend and have then reline it for another 200. 550 for a clutch that will hold the power we are asking for is a good price!
I'm going to try a 32lb flywheel that Whitbread has. There is a bit of chatter at 2000rpm with my Valeo setup...I guess the other option is using a fluidampr to reduce that as well (so I've been told). I'll post my results with the Clutchmasters once I get it installed and put some miles on it.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
This is the same issue I grappled with once I decided that I wanted to go with a 6spd.

So, I got the spacer, and the euro snub-nosed starter.

I ended up going with the stock 240mm DMF and the SRE pressure plate with an unsprung friction disk from Darkside (Ryan).

A SMF would require a sprung friction disk, which would increase the rotating mass of the input shaft. Given that shaft is already heavy and 2 feet long, I would be concerned about syncro wear in all but the most gentle of driving...

That and the anecdotal SMF's eat syncro posts at Passatworld and audizine.

Not sure about the input shaft on the 5 speed in comparison.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg

This is starting to sound like the way to go. I contacted South Bend about the SMF they recommend for a stage 2 endurance clutch and it weighs 19lbs. @ $484.50. Add the clutch price and you're at $969 and I'm sure they won't ship free.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
I concur...^^^

There seems to be a pretty large discrimination in price from a stock setup and a "performance" set-up.

I am still trying to nail down the ACTUAL torque rating of the valeo conversion kit. I have seen numbers ranging from 220 ft.lbs all the way up to 300 ft.lbs. I do know the hd pressure plate, which is what comes with the conversion kit, applies 1900 lbs of clamp force. Based on my experience, and on the reports of other members, it has to be close to 300 ft.lbs since it is holding for some with a stage 2 tune. This is why I feel that a simple re-line is the answer. If this clutch is right on the edge of its capabilities in stock form, in our application, then taking the capacity up by 20% will provide a nice level of tolerance.

My thoughts!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
That's for a transverse application and does not include the flywheel.

I have installed a SBC S2 for the Passat application. The pedal is nice and smooth, but you have to rev to 1800 rpm to keep it from chattering, Not something I am crazy about for $1000 price tag, Talked to SBC and they said is it was the nature of the beast.

Tried a Sachs HD clutch too and it was not driveable.

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
That's for a transverse application and does not include the flywheel.

I have installed a SBC S2 for the Passat application. The pedal is nice and smooth, but you have to rev to 1800 rpm to keep it from chattering, Not something I am crazy about for $1000 price tag, Talked to SBC and they said is it was the nature of the beast.

Tried a Sachs HD clutch too and it was not driveable.
How about the 1.8T DMF from a 6spd Audi B6 setup. Has anyone tried that?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
For my Audi A6 TDI 6MQ conversion I am going with a Luk/Sachs 240 DMF for the RS4 as recommended by Frans. Only thing I am hung up on is duplicating the clutch pilot bearing set up that came stock in the 2.7t DM flywheel with the 11mm spacer plate. IIRC Windex used a brass bushing in the BHW crank but I would like to duplicate the factory set up. Problem I am having is the center hole of the LUK/Sachs flywheel is 33mm while the stock 2.7t DMF is 24mm. Thinking about having a spacer machined to span the difference unless someone can come up with a part # which will work with this application. Have not figured out how to look up a 1.9 TDI which used a 240mm flywheel as the US dealers cannot seem to see this.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Input shaft on the 5 speed is pretty much the same length, if not longer. It runs all the way to the back of the case. Synchro rings are a very similar design to the 6 speed.

Mine rattles at idle and has a distinct resonance at ~2000rpm but no synchro problems in nearly 40k km with a 20 pound SMF, BSM delete and a stage 2 tune.
Yep I have a FHN and DQT sitting side by side and the input shaft is the same distance from where the transmission would mate up with the engine block (I think it was 14mm).

QuickTD the rattle is most likely a bad main shaft bearing. I had a GGB with that and replaced what seemed like a good bearing with a new one and the noise went away.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
For my Audi A6 TDI 6MQ conversion I am going with a Luk/Sachs 240 DMF for the RS4 as recommended by Frans. Only thing I am hung up on is duplicating the clutch pilot bearing set up that came stock in the 2.7t DM flywheel with the 11mm spacer plate. IIRC Windex used a brass bushing in the BHW crank but I would like to duplicate the factory set up. Problem I am having is the center hole of the LUK/Sachs flywheel is 33mm while the stock 2.7t DMF is 24mm. Thinking about having a spacer machined to span the difference unless someone can come up with a part # which will work with this application. Have not figured out how to look up a 1.9 TDI which used a 240mm flywheel as the US dealers cannot seem to see this.
I can look the 240mm info up tonite. I have access to the Euro ETKA. Do you have a year and model that used it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
It should be a 98-01 A6 with 1.9 and 6 speed manual.

Thanks!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The Luk flywheel part number for the 1.9/2.0 240mm is 415024410
LuK stock clutch kit # is 624303700

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you see a part number for the pilot bearing that fits in the center of the flywheel?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I don't have the pilot bearing number, other than the stock VW 15mm one that fits in the crank.

That said, I have a spare 240mm DMF sitting in the basement, I can measure the center bore (of the DMF) if that helps?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
The V6 flywheel is 24mm and my Luk flywheel for the BHW is 32-33mm. Double check what you have please. Did you go with a brass bushing?

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
Do you see a part number for the pilot bearing that fits in the center of the flywheel?
The part number is 056 105 313 C. Dimensions are listed as 15x21x15, and is a needle bearing. There is no spacer that I see for the bearing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk