Friends don't let friends drive their car

DervPwr

TDI
León ASV
To me diesels are about the amazing torque, and fuel economy of course...here in the UK, diesel is $8.09/US gal. and gas is $7.74/US gal.!! So unless you're rich you'd be keeping the derv!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If only the VR6 were a better engine with more potential. I'd go 1.8T. Lots of power available.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
1.8t's are kinda notorious for knocking. and I'm tired of the 4 cylinder scene. I would argue the "amazing torque" at this point too. 278 ft-lbs isn't that impressive. Which reminds me it's finally warm / dry enough to go do some runs. I need to update your thread Jon with my logs for 1, 4, and 11

DervPwr

TDI
León ASV
I would argue the "amazing torque" at this point too. 278 ft-lbs isn't that impressive.
Well I'm guessing you guys in the US don't have older Quattro TDIs to mod, as that would push up your power/torque.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Random, quite potentially a dumb question too, does anyone know if the Peloquin LSD is different between our tdi o2j and the vr6 o2j? I'm sure we all see where this is headed *smirks*

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I think the only difference is year, I think 2004.....or how about you sell it to me :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I believe there are a few different incarnations of differentials in the 02J based on year of production, however they wouldn't be different between TDI and VR6.

Some time in 2004 vw changed the ring gear size on the diff,map the peloquin changed too.

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
But if you're serious about the vr swap, why not just put the tdi back to stock, sell it (in the spring when gas starts to rise in price again), sell the vr swap to someone, then use all that money to go buy a decent vr and most likely have money leftover.

But if you swap...I'd keep in touch with this guy: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5457500-Because-BUILD-THREAD!

He sucked up water at h20i. Now he's in the middle of the swap and he's local (cleveland).

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the only difference is year, I think 2004.....or how about you sell it to me :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Haha no way am I selling it unless you pay me 1,600 for the transmission, I might part with it then....;)

been watching the guys thread.... it's basically what I'll end up doing.

Edit: To answer your question about selling everything and starting over.

I enjoy the challenge if I bought a prebuilt VR yeah ok fine I hav emoney left over but I'm a bit of a car enthusiast/mechanic gear head at heart and I enjoy doing this. I found a VR car for a steal of a price and it has EVERYTHING mechanical and electronic still in it. It is going to be cheaper / easier for me to just swap the drive train and wiring than to buy a VR (plus I get to keep my car, I have an unhealthy attachment to my car).

Last edited:

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
So after all of this. I've come across a possible new path.

I have vr6 motor, trans, harness, ECU, and cluster at my disposal.

I'm seriously contemplating just swapping out and going with a s/c or t/c VR6 and stop wasting my time with this Diesel motor.

Or, you could just go with an SRT-6 Crossfire and be done with it. Hand built AMG engine and hand assembled body. The price is so right, too.

Do a search... :>)

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
It sadly, after pricing almost everything I need, isn't that much more than what I'm parting out everything on the car for. By the time I sell what's on the car + all spare parts I'll only be around about 500 shy of finishing the build.

The interesting part will be me learning how to weld to make my own FMIC and Exhaust heh anyone live nearby that wants to help/teach for beer and food? =P