Cross reference for OBDII

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I went to Ross Tech and was looking for the cross Reference. What I got at AutoZone was Glow Plug Circuit Malfunction. Check Engine light is on. Glow plugs and harness are 100k miles old. 2000 Jetta. Any ideas or links to the Cross Reference?

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
I suspect your code was 0680 IIRC. Check the plugs individually for about 1 OHM. If infinity, it's burned out. If all are OK, clean harness with DeOxit or similar and hook back up and have code cleared. Last time I had Auto Zone do this, they woudn't clear the code, but would let me push the buttons on their code reader.

John C

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
John C said:
I suspect your code was 0680 IIRC. Check the plugs individually for about 1 OHM. If infinity, it's burned out. If all are OK, clean harness with DeOxit or similar and hook back up and have code cleared. Last time I had Auto Zone do this, they woudn't clear the code, but would let me push the buttons on their code reader.

John C
Is Deoxit like Dielectric grease? Just another contact lube? I am borrowing a meter tomorrow and will see. The harness had been replaced once, so maybe it might work using one of those.

On a side note: My 1979 GMC developed a short in it. I found it was the wire going from the Alternator to the fuse box. Sometimes it shorted and sometimes not. I had an older guy(i'm 56) tell me to disconnect the harness to the fuse box on the fire wall and then put Lithium grease on it and plug it back in and it could get rid of the short. I tried that this morning and will know tomorrow if the battery is dead if it worked or not.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Does unhooking the battery clear codes? I checked the Harness put on some Dielectric grease and tested the Glow plugs and they were all the same at .8 Ohms. I then checked the fuse and it was working. I also checked all terminals on the battery (both sides)and all had 12.63 Volts. I would like to clear the code to see if it will come back or not. I live 20 miles from the nearest Autozone and they wont clear it anyway. Just need to know if the battery disconnect will work. Thanks