B5 access through trunk (boot), or emergency access to engine compartment

ilalfisto

TDI
1999 Passat (B5)
Having parked my B5 Passat for a while due to failure of the door-handles, I now find the battery has died so the key no longer lowers the windows, denying me even NASCAR-style ingress.

I wish either to:
1. enter the cabin via the trunk/boot by lowering the rear seat (but HOW?!), or
2. open the hood / bonnet by alternative means (emergency handle of some sort?).

HELP!!

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
ok, I have a 1.8t engine on my b5.5 passat and not really familiar with the TDI engine configuration on your passat (assuming that it's diesel) but I'm pretty that the location of the starter is the same.

This is what I would do, I'd borrow a battery and a set of jumper cables. I would get under the car and ground the chassis/engine and power the heavy gauge starter cable.

This way you should be able to use your remote and roll your windows down.
You might need to put the front end on jack stands and have a buddy around to help just in case.

Just my $0.02.

:)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Well one way would be to access the starter B* terminal under the car and use it to recharge the battery so the windows can be lowered.

ilalfisto

TDI
1999 Passat (B5)
Good news for me - I'm mobile again.

Pushed and pulled on driver's door handle while operating the lever repeatedly, and the door opened (cable probably stretched, but how did ALL handles fail within approximately 2 weeks?!). A new battery is now in situ and I'll file a complete report of findings when all is sorted.

Thanks for your help. Really good suggestions and I'm certainly fortunate to be a member of this forum!

Last edited:

AJMVAG

TDI
A4 B5 2000
Hi, I have a similar problem with my A4 B5 1.9tdi Sedan.

1. 2 weeks ago,Car was locked with key and battery terminals removed(to save battery during my absence)
  2. Now the key does not turn fully in the Driver side door key-cylinder,seems stuck
  3. Only the Boot can be opened,but there is a metal panel between boot and rear seat,no access :confused:

How to access the passenger compartment?
Is there a trick to remove the metal panel or below method can work?

This is what I would do, I'd borrow a battery and a set of jumper cables. I would get under the car and ground the chassis/engine and power the heavy gauge starter cable.

This way you should be able to use your remote and roll your windows down.

:)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I don't know if it was mentioned before but you can lift the car and put jumper cables to the starter wire that leads to the battery to get the electrical system going.

AJMVAG

TDI
A4 B5 2000
Hi thanks. The car is in 1st gear,there is no risk of activating the starter and breaking something?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As long as you only power the "big" wire going to the starter, you will be at no risk of starting the car. Just make sure the battery cable touches nothing else other than the larger of the two wire s going to the starter.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Just as an added safety measure, connect the jumper cable first to the starter (thick wire leading to the battery) AND THEN crawl out from under the car before connecting the other end to the external battery or powering up the jumper pack. This way if you screwed something up, the car wont drive over you. :)