Road trip 101

terryg

Hi,
My car is nearly new, 2003 GLS 5spd wagon, about 2300 on it. I'm taking my first "real" roadtrip tomorrow night, Friday, and Saturday from Chicago to New Jersey and back. Now, I'm accustomed to long hauls by car and motorcycle, and all I'd ever really concern myself with would be "is there gas available." I'll be taking major interestates, so I'm not concerned about diesel availability.

I've also got some Stanadyne now, which I'll use to placate my fear of freezing my fuel somewhere in Ohio in the middle of the night at 80mph. Is there any reason I should be concerned about anything else - I mean, should I find and take a spare relay 109, MAF, or ??. On my bike I'd keep a kit of bulbs and fuses, and the BMW toolkit was always excellent. This time around though, I'm not sure what I'd need for this car. I've been kind of "get in and drive" with this car so far, but I've never been more than a couple hundred miles from home.
Thanks!
Terry

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
I regularly drive 1,000 miles one way and like you, have been around the US twice on a motorcycle. You're good with the fuel treatment and should have no trouble. I also carry a spare fuel filter in case I get a load of rubbish along the way. This costs nothing, as I will use the filter at the next service. It may save your hide while on the road. I carry a multi bit Torx screwdriver which you'll need to do anything. A set of metric sockets and 5,6, and 8mm hex bits are handy too. I have fix-a-flat and plugs in case I use up my only spare tire. (popped THREE trailer tires in the same day before) Be sure all your lug bolts will come loose with the hand wrench (I use Never-Seez). I've read about some people stripping the lock key. I bring a gallon of Delvac 1 in case I spring a leak in my oil lines, and a gallon of G12 coolant. The latter two may be way overkill, but that's just how I am.

[ January 22, 2003, 09:56: Message edited by: Bob the rocket scientist ]

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Terry, Good advice from Bob... especially the spare fuel filter. Relay 109 is not an issue on your model year... yours has the upgraded one.

MAF won't leave you stranded. If yours starts to weaken (which is very unlikely on a car so new), you'll likely just lose some upper-end performance but should still be able to get where you're going.

Where are you going to plug in a hair dryer?.. unless you're talking about some little dinky 12v one. I wouldn't bother, put a little extra Powerservice anti-gel additive in if it gives you comfort. I use 8oz each fillup. Blankets are always a good idea, in any car, especially when travelling in the winter.

Have a safe trip. I'm going to put 3-4k miles on my TDI in a couple weeks... road trip to Key West and other points south. Can't wait!

-Mel

BongoBrains

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf GLS Silver/Blk
Good advice from everyone so far. I might add: a good flashlight, spare headlight / tailight bulbs, small shovel, assortment of snacks and drinks, and a cell phone.

My personal 'travel box' is stuffed full of items that mimic all that has been posted, (and then some). I think you'll have things covered with the basics though, especially if you're taking care of the potential 'bad fuel' issues.

Have a safe trip...

terryg

Good advice, thanks. I almost wonder if I should bring a hair dryer for the fuel lines, and a space blanket for myself if the thing freezes up on me. All these cold weather threads, dying, not starting, etc. are kind of freaking me out a little.