Removed two MAF screen , but I can not find the snow screen

arktiaxs

Veteran Member
I drive a '97 Seat Toledo (like a vento / jetta - for pictures of my car see at the bottom of thgis message ) 1.9 TDi 90 Hp tuned up by Oettinger to 125 Hp
. It has about 150.000 km.
This afternoon I removed the two MAF screens near the MAF sensor.

I also have a K&N airfilter.

As You can see there is no connection with the Air intake of the air filter and the exterior off the car.

The air intake just takes air from inside the engine-compartiment....
Is this normal ???

The air filter is at the passengers side. At the driver'side two tubes come from the intercooler (i guess) and from the turbo and go down into the frontshield

One of the two tubes goes down to some sort of airbox, wich is placed behind the car's front and wich gets air from the exterior. This air goes again up with the other tube.
The lower air air intake was stuffed with leaves and durt. I removed it and together with the MAF screen removal near the MAF sensor, the car now runs like new with greater response to the pedal and with more torque at low rev's

What is this box for and where the hell is my snow screen ????

ARKTIAXS

TDI-passat

TDI
Passat 1997 TDI Marine blue
As far as I can tell this is the IC. To my knowing most 90 hp TDI's in Europe don't have a snowscreen. In the USA it's a whole other ball game. The have extensive regulations about air pollution. In another tread, I believe from Drivebiwire or Karl, they show pictures of an intake manifold which looks a lot different from the one we have here.
Hope this will help a bit.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
"the lower air intake was stuffed with leaves and dirt..."

By this you mean that opening in the lower part of the air filter box, right?

The current models I have seen have an air horn arrangement that connects to that lower fitting of the air filter box and pipes cool air from the front of the car to the box. That way, the engine does not suck heated air from the engine compartment.

Cleaning all that up would allow much greater airflow, explaining the increased performance you noted.

Snow screens are found in that hose to the front of the car from the air filter box. Your car apparently does not have the plumbing, let alone any screen within the plumbing.

The finned box on the driver side front plumbed from the turbocharger and then to the engine intake manifold would be the intercooler.

arktiaxs

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Powder Hound:
"the lower air intake was stuffed with leaves and dirt..."

By this you mean that opening in the lower part of the air filter box, right?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I definitely mean the intake at the lower front of the car which directs air directly to the Intercooler (so not to the AirBox

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>that lower fitting of the air filter box and pipes cool air from the front of the car to the box. That way, the engine does not suck heated air from the engine compartment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My car does not have a direct connection from the air-filter-box to the front (exterior) of the car It does suck air from the motorcompartiment

You can spot this here :
The left is the front of the car

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Snow screens are found in that hose to the front of the car from the air filter box. Your car apparently does not have the plumbing, let alone any screen within the plumbing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My car indeed does not not have any snow screen ?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
The finned box on the driver side front plumbed from the turbocharger and then to the engine intake manifold would be the intercooler.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was thinking to and it was my IC's frontside which was packed with leaves and dirt...

Thanks for the responsive input

A.