?Type/Brand Oil for 2012 Jetta TDI sportwagon

monkfarm

TDI
06 bug TDI, 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI bought back, 2017 Subaru XT; 2015 F150 Lariat with ecoboost 3.5, 99 Dodge Cummins 1 ton flatbed
:) I'm sorry, after reading many threads on oil types (I discovered I will not change oil at the current 5400 miles, (I will wait until 10k) and I will not use the oil I use in my 06 TDI Bug (Rotella 5-40 T-6 Synthetic).
I am thoroughly confused still on what oil to buy (for 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagon), and where people are buying it. Is there newer regs from VW on oil (rather than the 507 that was mandated by VW)?
I live out in the Sticks, so usually when I fire up the Jetta, I drive 30 to 80 miles, or more. . .
I'm also wondering if the first 3 oil changes are still free (She (the salesgal) might have mentioned it but I was dealing with my wife's "New Car Panic".)
Also, what is the best Oil extraction unit (through the dipstick holder) and where is a good place to buy it. . .
(I should perhaps study the current threads further, but I have already spent a couple hours in confusion. . .)
Thank You, Dean

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Dean, welcome aboard!

The oil requirement to maintain your new vehicle waranty is incredibly simple. If it doesn't state 507.00 on the label, it isn't suitable :)

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Yes, VW is still offering the first 3 services as part of the sale. Each at 10K miles or annually if you drive under 10K miles per year (as unlikely as that sounds given your location).

PS. Lots of threads of topside extraction or going underneath. Arguements on both side, so it's fine whichever you prefer. The underside crowd would remind you to get under the car to inspect if you chose to extract via dipstick.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I am thoroughly confused still on what oil to buy (for 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagon), and where people are buying it. Is there newer regs from VW on oil (rather than the 507 that was mandated by VW)?
I live out in the Sticks, so usually when I fire up the Jetta, I drive 30 to 80 miles, or more. . .
I'm also wondering if the first 3 oil changes are still free (She (the salesgal) might have mentioned it but I was dealing with my wife's "New Car Panic".
Dean,

Welcome to TDIClub and the world of Diesels.

There are several vendors that can supply you with the correct oil including but not limited to RiversideVwParts.com, IdParts.com, Bleached Bora, and several other trusted TDIClub vendors.

Whatever you decide to get, make absolutely sure it meets the 507.00 specifications.

Also, as long as you are in the United States, your first 3 services (10k, 20k, and 30k) are included free of charge under the CareFree Maintenance program.

monkfarm

TDI
06 bug TDI, 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI bought back, 2017 Subaru XT; 2015 F150 Lariat with ecoboost 3.5, 99 Dodge Cummins 1 ton flatbed
Thank you all, you have made me feel most welcome!!

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
A couple widely available 507.00 spec oils:

1. OEM fill: Castrol Professional SLX LL-03 5w-30.
Available at the local VW dealer.

2. Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. Available at Pep Boys.

Both prices / liter are about the same.

I tried the Mobil 1 on my first oil change and my engine started
Using oil. ~ .5 liter in 1000 miles. I switched back to Castrol SLX
and the oil consumption stopped. Weird.
I've got 62,500 miles on the odometer so far and have been happy
with Castrol SLX Professional LL-03.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
And now I notice your not in the USA.
Anyway, I'm sure there are more European brands
widely available to you then.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
A couple widely available 507.00 spec oils:

1. OEM fill: Castrol Professional SLX LL-03 5w-30.
Available at the local VW dealer.

2. Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. Available at Pep Boys.

Both prices / liter are about the same.

I tried the Mobil 1 on my first oil change and my engine started
Using oil. ~ .5 liter in 1000 miles. I switched back to Castrol SLX
and the oil consumption stopped. Weird.
I've got 62,500 miles on the odometer so far and have been happy
with Castrol SLX Professional LL-03.
Weird is right. I bet you didn't put in as much as you thought you did when you used the Mobil 1. I can't believe an engine could burn .5 liter in 1k miles, and then not burn oil.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Probably got sucked up filling the oil filter cannister... after a filter change.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Are you sure the ESP formula comes in quarts as well?

Every google image search I could find of the ESP formula 5w-30 showed a liter bottle.

I searched this because I was gonna suggest the same thing, but decided to search first...

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I have done two oil changes using Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 oil. The oil both times came in 1 Litre plastic bottles. Also, both times the oil was purchased from Pep Boys.

Not to say that it isn't possible that Mobil may decide to sell it one day in quart bottles.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Your right it's Mobil 1 ESP Formula M that comes in quarts which I used for my 60k OC. I deleted my previous post.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
A Good Choice

Your right, it's Mobil 1 ESP Formula M that comes in quarts which I used for my 60k OC.
I deleted my previous post.
:)

To clarify, you are using the same oil recommended for my MBZ.
It is Mobil 1 ESP Formula 'M', a 5W-40 and it is available in
quart containers and not in liters to the best of my knowledge.
I get mine from the MBZ dealer. It costs MUCH less than Pep Boys!
Unless of course the oil is on special and you can get the Pep Boys manager to honor that special?
The 'other' Mobil 1 oil the Mobil 1 ESP Formula (not Formula 'M')
is a 5W-30 grade and it is sold in liters only.
It is recommended for the TDIs, but the factory VW oil is very close to being a 5W-40,
so why not just go ahead and use ESP Formula 'M' and be done with it?

:D

DHG

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Derrel, yes that's correct. NAPA had it for $5.79 per quart in June ( bought 12 quarts). Drivbiwire says MB dealers sell the 5 quart jug and I think he pays less than $5 per quart. I'll check a MB dealer the next time I need some.

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
Mobile 1 ESP 5W-30 504.00/507.00 is only available in Liters.
Are you sure the ESP formula comes in quarts as well?

Every google image search I could find of the ESP formula 5w-30 showed a liter bottle.

I searched this because I was gonna suggest the same thing, but decided to search first...

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Price Changed?

Derrel, yes that's correct. NAPA had it for $5.79 per quart in June ( bought 12 quarts). Drivbiwire says MB dealers sell the 5 quart jug and I think he pays less than $5 per quart. I'll check a MB dealer the next
time I need some.
:)

I was paying $6.65 by the quart for Mobil 1 Formula M, but the last time I was at the dealer,
I was told that there was a price change coming, so WHO KNOWS what it is now.

I did not know that you could buy Formula M in five (5) quarts jugs.
Will have to ask the next time I am at the MBZ dealer which won't be
for some time as I've got enough oil for three oil changes on hand. :p

Regards,

DHG

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The Op asked this......?Type/Brand Oil for 2012 Jetta TDI sportwagon
Either oil is safe. What is important is that the oil is LowSAPS (Sulfated Ash, Phosphorus Sulfur). Both VW and Mercedes Benz have their own Low SAPS oil specification. VW's is 507.00 and MB's spec is 229.51. Both are almost identical except that the 507 must be 5W30 and the 229.51 can be 5W30 or 5W40.
Mobil 1 ESP (5W30) is both VW 507.00 & MB 229.51 approved while Mobil 1 ESP-M (5W40) is MB 229.51 approved only.

Both (either) oil is safe to use, but I would stick to the 507.00 (5W30) oil while the car is under warranty. After that, either is OK. There has been much discussion here about the various merits of each and I'm not going to take sides and recommend either one above the other. All I will say is that either one is "emissions safe" for use in our 2009+ TDIs.

Have Fun!

Don

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thank you Don.
I do not like when these threads start to advise a product that may cause the OP a problem with VW. If there was a problem the OP can not say "Well I read it on the internet"
Have Fun

jimbag

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I use Liqui-Moly Top-Tec 4200 5w30. It's 507 00 and made in Germany!

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I use Liqui-Moly Top-Tec 4200 5w30. It's 507 00 and made in Germany!
I use the same stuff.

And I get my 5L jugs of the stuff at my Local NAPA that's about 10 minutes down the road. It's was $45 when I bought it which is a few dollars cheaper than ordering it online when you factor in shipping costs, and a whole lot more convenient.

Last edited:

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6spd Sedan W/Premium
What will happen if you change the oil with non-esp type? Like this one: Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic I don't think the car will know anything amiss... Good oil is good oil...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
What will happen if you change the oil with non-esp type? Like this one: Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic I don't think the car will know anything amiss... Good oil is good oil...[/QUOTE]

You're joking, right? You forgot to use the :rolleyes:.

If you're NOT joking, please don't post again until you have enough proof to refute the truth.

The truth is, oils today ARE indeed engine specific. They are NOT all equal.

Read YOUR owner's manual that came with YOUR car.

monkfarm

TDI
The mobil one extended Performance full synthetic is a gas oil, isn't it? I blew up a '82 toyota diesel using gasoline rated oil. I'm very paranoid about it. I don't know about the owner's manual from VW. See your Dealer, is what the essence of that. . .Isn't it? Maybe I should pick it up again. . .